Glow Plugs

pauldredge

Oct 4, 2009
Right my engine management light has come on and from a vag com it says intermittent glow plug. So im guessing one is on its way out.

Anyway im just wondering what glow plugs to go for? are their any that are better than some?

I drive a Leon 1.9 TDi 150... 04 plate.

MisterMoleyMole

Apr 21, 2008
I need to replace my cyl 4 Glowplug pn mine to so would be very keen to get a bit of info about them. Also how easy it is to replace them. Could i do it myself.

Cheers :)
G

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
when i did mine, just got the regular ones for vw for the engine.
not sure they are any better ones per se for these engines.

couple of threads on how easy and part numbers not long old

coolypops

Tastes like chicken
Feb 14, 2009
The Emerald Isle
all glow pulgs do is heat up and warm the fuel (nothing technical about them) so there's not really any difference between them.

best off getting them from a decent motor factors or you could get them from a stealership if you want to get robbed.:p

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Glow plugs heat the air in the combustion chamber, not the fuel. As for getting robbed by "stealerships" I just bought a glowplug from a dealer and it cost me the massive amount of £8.45. Same part from vwspares.co.uk costs £9.95, and from Eurocarparts the cost is £12.43.

Stealers indeed.

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
I was told that you should replace with the same as the ones already there as they are different lengths. The make and part number are stamped on the collar of the plug but you need to take the plug out to read it!! 2 min job though with a 10mm socket (a longish one though) and very very easy to do.

Mine were Bosch and dealers charged £15 for one last week !!!!! As said earlier, no point in looking for a "better" one as they do sweet F.A. once the car is running.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
So you think air explodes under pressure at the right temperature then??? :whistle:

You obviously have little understanding of how a diesel engine functions, so I'll let you off your major blooper this time. ;)

Now, for your homework, go find out what function the glow plug performs in a diesel engine, then further to that find out how heat is usually generated in a diesel engine and what happens when diesel is injected into hot air.

Jim H

Mar 6, 2009
Teesside
... As said earlier, no point in looking for a "better" one as they do sweet F.A. once the car is running.

According to my Haynes the glow pugs stay on for approx 15 mins whilst the engine is warming up (without the dash light on) and then go off untill the engine is stopped an restarted again. So they don't normally do anything unless it's cold. There is no schedule for changing them and as mentioned are £10-15 each, only change one when it fails.

Am I right in saying, for some strange reason the flashing glow plug light can mean a blown brake light?

Now, shall we tell coolypops to go find some spark plugs for his Diseasel! :rolleyes: :whistle:

coolypops

Tastes like chicken
Feb 14, 2009
The Emerald Isle
You obviously have little understanding of how a diesel engine functions, so I'll let you off your major blooper this time. ;)

Now, for your homework, go find out what function the glow plug performs in a diesel engine, then further to that find out how heat is usually generated in a diesel engine and what happens when diesel is injected into hot air.

By the way I'm aware that the glow plugs don't actually heat the fuel directly but i was under the impression that the the fuel ionizes due to the high pressure injection as it entered the cylinder, thus allowing it to absorb the heat from the air quickly as diesel will only explode under compression above a certain temperature.
And obviously the glow plugs just give it a kick start on the way to that glorious torque producing number.

I just cut it down as I wanted to help with the question asked. ;)

Jesus i should have never opened my mouth. ha

and yes the flashing glow plug light can mean a broken glow plug. no need for the flame...

Last edited:

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
By the way I'm aware that the glow plugs don't actually heat the fuel directly but i was under the impression that the the fuel ionizes due to the high pressure injection as it entered the cylinder, thus allowing it to absorb the heat from the air quickly as diesel will only explode under compression above a certain temperature.
And obviously the glow plugs just give it a kick start on the way to that glorious torque producing number.

I just cut it down as I wanted to help with the question asked. ;)

Jesus i should have never opened my mouth. ha

and yes the flashing glow plug light can mean a broken glow plug. no need for the flame...

Actually, the diesel atomises as it's injected. And it doesn't explode, it burns.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Am I right in saying, for some strange reason the flashing glow plug light can mean a blown brake light?

Yes, flashing glow plug light points towards a failed brake light or the brake switch under the pedal. Failed glowplugs manifest as an engine management light, curiously.

Strange, who thought that a post about glowplugs was more relevant in the Leon Mk1 section than the diesel section?

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
The family wagon - cupra tdi 150 had the light come up and i tested all the plugs resistances which all measured the same so i thought it must be the wiring harness which according to some sites they can be promblematic. However as plugs were the cheapest/easiest option and considering they had been in there 42,000 miles i just went with bosch plugs from Euro Car Parts which seem to have done the trick.

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
mine lasted until 85k before 1 went so all 4 at same time was just easy to get garage to do.
flashing glow plug is as mentioned normally failed brake switch - easy job and again about £10 for the part & 20mins labour to yourself

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
coolypops wrote

Let's avoid the propagation of bullshit:

• Glowplugs don't heat the fuel at all.
  • The fuel doesn't ionise.
  • Injection pressure is of secondary importance to the spray pattern produced by the injector.

The fundamental principal of the diesel engine is that the compression of the air in the cylinder heats it to the temperature required to ignite the very finely divided fuel spray. Even the tiniest amount of fuel will ignite and produce a pressure pulse.

• Fuel injection takes place after cylinder compression and the fuel ignites immediately.
  • The fuel is under pressure, but not compressed - it does not change in volume.
  • The fuel combusts in the cylinder, burns, does not explode.

Glowplugs function only when it's cold out, preheating the cylinders, making startup easier and getting the engine to efficient operating temperatures more quickly. They complete their heating cycle before the engine is started.

The original question was:
Anyway im just wondering what glow plugs to go for? are their any that are better than some?

Your answer
all glow pulgs do is heat up and warm the fuel (nothing technical about them) so there's not really any difference between them.

is wrong in every respect

valley boy 11

hi, just wondering are the glow plugs at the front of the engine or under the rocker cover(local garage said this over the phone) its going in tomorrow to have no 4 plug changed and the eml light turned off, i dont want to get ripped off by the garage(saying they had to take rocker cover off to change it/hence the extra labour charge), by the way its an fr150 54 plate. any info would be helpfull. thanks guys.

big-bill3

Try buying them a stealership in Belgium - 23 euro each plus fitting ! (170 euro total)

big-bill3

Seized No 1 Glowplug

I had an alarm light up on the Dashboard (Diagnostics/Pollution)
SEAT dealer here in Mos, Belgium reported it was one or more Glowplugs (Bougie Pre-Chauffage)
They fitted three of them quite quickly except that #1 is seized in !!

Any constructive suggestions on how to get it out?

John

Jim H

Mar 6, 2009
Teesside
SEAT dealer here in Mos, Belgium reported it was one or more Glowplugs (Bougie Pre-Chauffage)
They fitted three of them quite quickly except that #1 is seized in !!

Any constructive suggestions on how to get it out?

John

I would suggest wire brush the threads and give it a good soaking with release oil (WD40 or PlusGas etc).

If it's still stuck then a big hammer helps! :whistle: (only Joking). Although you could try using a long breaker bar and just hope the plug doesn't snap off.