Glow Plugs...

Hi,

How easy is it to change them?

My car really struggles to start in the cold and I am hopeing new glow plugs will help? (views??)

How much is a new set?

How much would it cost roughly to fit a new set?

My car is going in for a service next week, so was wondering if it was going to be worth doing?

Cheers,

Ben

Dajmin

I've been pricing them recently and they start at around £6 each. It's a piece of cake to get to them and they just screw in like spark plugs. I wouldn't even waste the money getting a garage to do it unless you really doubt your own ability :)

I've been pricing them recently and they start at around £6 each. It's a piece of cake to get to them and they just screw in like spark plugs. I wouldn't even waste the money getting a garage to do it unless you really doubt your own ability :)

Well, I'm going to get them to sort some other bits too, thinking of things to make it worth the hour's labour they'll charge me for 5 mins work...

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
check the voltage going too em firstand the fuse, free test and even new ones won't glow with no juice in em

Mike FR+

I paid £40 for a set from local motor factor, think they are bosch (I may be wrong). They are easy to fit. Screw out with the smaller of the spark plug removers - Halfords £4 and new ones screw in.

What I will say is be careful with the rail that covers the glow plugs, if it snaps it an expensive, awkward fix.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Depends on which engine you're working on aswell. The 2.0ltr twin cam has to have the rocker cover off to change the glowplugs, and they're more expensive than the 1.9 plugs aswell. Still only about £9 for genuine VAG ones from David at Sere Motors.

tdi31

Dec 1, 2009
I recently bought some of ebay for my 1.9 and cost around £15 delivered.

gav_FR

Loud pipes save lives!
I see from your avatar you have a Mk1 Leon?

I got 4 glow plugs from my local SEAT dealer recently for £56 inc. VAT.

They're a doddle to change - engine cover off, move the foam padding stuff out of the way, then you can get to the glow plugs on the front on the engine (you will see the black harness connecting to each plug). Carefully pull off the harness on each plug then remove the plugs. Just be careful when putting the new ones in not to cross thread them because that could be expensive to repair!

You will need a long socket drive though to reach them (at least 6 inches I'd say, I used a 12 inch one!). I think it's a 10mm socket that fits on the glow plugs.

Also for the plug on cylinder 3 (3rd from left when looking at the engine from the front) you may need to unscrew a couple of the screws that support the intercooler pipe so that you can move it just enough to get the extended socket in.

I have some pics at home that I can post up later when I'm not at work.

tdi31

Dec 1, 2009
I did mine today straight forward but are a couple of pita ones I found cylinder 2 abit dodgy but worst was the 4th cylinder as there is like a plastic ball thing in the way (not sure whats it for) :think: this was my 110 leon tdi but its done now should be a lot better in a cold morning :)

seantdi

no smoke no poke!!
Jan 18, 2009
ireland
i went to change mine before xmas. ended up having to get the head removed as one of threds got damaged removing it. cost over 550 to get it back going.. i was told the engine should be really hot before trying to change them

gav_FR

Loud pipes save lives!
i was told the engine should be really hot before trying to change them

That might make it a lot easier actually, I did mine after the car had been stood all day outside at work and some were a bit tight!

Here's some pics anyway to help others...

1) Foam padding that needs removing (the highlighted silver ring joins the two ends of the foam - open up the ring to allow the foam to come under the cable that goes over it at the front):
DSC00495_1.jpg

2) Glow plug location and screws that when removed allow intercooler pipe to be pulled away just enough to access glow plug #3:
DSC00503_1.jpg

3) Glow plugs #1 and #2:
DSC00499_1.jpg

4) Glow plugs #3 and #4:
DSC00500_1.jpg

5) Proper tools for the job ;) :
DSC00501_1.jpg

Last edited:

gav_FR

Loud pipes save lives!
worst was the 4th cylinder as there is like a plastic ball thing in the way (not sure whats it for) :think: this was my 110 leon tdi

Was that ball thing one of these located here....(see pic) ?

DSC00503_2.jpg

If so it is just the engine cover mount and can be pulled off the stalk! (They are meant to stay attached to the engine cover but mine at the top in that pic came out)

tdi31

Dec 1, 2009
No Gav it didn't look like that best I can describe it as is like an overflow ball you get inside your toilet :lol:

I will take a pic and show you tomorrow.

claireeyy

Can anyone help me, I have an Ibiza mk 4 and i was looking to change the plugs, but I don't know how you get the bar off.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.