Going in for door rattle fix on thursday

Villers

Billy Villain
Apr 12, 2014
Cumbria
www.horizonwatches.com
Whilst that is great advice and probably the best way to solve the problem, I dont mean to sound sarcastic here but theres something about paying £21k for a car and then spending a winter morning on my day off gingerly prying off my own door cards and attempting a self repair on my 18 month old car. We really shouldnt need to do any of these fixes and we should be standing up to this pathetic network of dealers. The 30% decline in sales last month should have kicked them up the arse but it seems not.

Something needs done.

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I feel you, totally agree on that.
I just wanted to get it fixed as good as it can be, so that is why opted to DIY.
Stealer just do bare minimun and that is to use silicone or GLUE on the edge of that flimsy piece of plastic.
I wanted to make it more rigid, solid and used STP silver on both sides and now it's silent and does not vibrate with the bass.
Help to keep road noise down also.

So, if you guys have a place where to do it, DO IT!

How to remove door card
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G_SsGsW7opA

Last edited:

Villers

Billy Villain
Apr 12, 2014
Cumbria
www.horizonwatches.com
I get that you want them fixed but I dont believe the dealer should get off lightly. My local one is half day saturday nd closed all sunday. I cant get to them the rest of the week because of work but I feel like turning up everyday and asking them why they cant sort the problems.

mrbugle

Jun 25, 2015
I've finally bit the bullet and booked mine in for the door rattles and creaky front suspension.

I went to the other local dealer though, the one I bought through took nearly 2 months to order my 2nd key.

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
It is a design fault, and stealers hands are tied up, they can only do as much as manufacturer guide them to do...glue or silicone, it helps for that rattle for some time, helps it gets out of warranty.
They do not replace that flimsy plastic, so it continues to vibrate and steal energy out of the midrange speaker, they only fix one part of the problem, the fitting of the plastic to the frame.
Most customers are ok with that, but some of us wants to make our cars better when ever there is a change.

And i must say, the sound of the front speakers got deeper when that plastic got more rigid.

Also, i don't recommed to open panels if not have to, those clips will wear everytime, and
stealer does not replace them if they dont get broken.

cupriki

Dec 6, 2015
My car's brand new, Yes, both mine rattle slightly, sometimes, depending on the temperature! I watched a video on youtube though of the door card removal process, seems horrific, so make sure you take photos before they do it incase they damage or scuff anything!

My passenger window also clunks on its way down, regulator?

Pretty crappy build quality so far...

I'll have to take her in at some point for a bunch of stuff.

Hi Guys,

I finally reached the annoyance threshold on my rattly passenger door last week and book it in to be looked at.

Its going in on Thursday to Gloucester Seat. The lady on the phone said she had not heard of the issue before which worries me!

Does anyone have any experience of getting this fixed? Any keywords i should be saying or specific things I should point out to them? If you place a hand on the door card, the rattle stops.

I have a horrible feeling it gonna come back just as rattly, or without them finding any fault! :cry:

James

gaffnaldo

Sep 8, 2015
Whilst that is great advice and probably the best way to solve the problem, I dont mean to sound sarcastic here but theres something about paying £21k for a car and then spending a winter morning on my day off gingerly prying off my own door cards and attempting a self repair on my 18 month old car. We really shouldnt need to do any of these fixes and we should be standing up to this pathetic network of dealers. The 30% decline in sales last month should have kicked them up the arse but it seems not.

Something needs done.
Agree, agree, agree! I bought mines in september and the faults are as follows:

Both doors rattle, particularly the near side, had 2 fixes done and still not right.

Rattle from dash, very intermittant

Groany starter motor on cold start

Metalic spindle resonating noise from turbo

These are supposed to have excellent build quality, but its obvious they dont. I had a diesel courtesy car for a day and the rattles in that were 10x worse, the car sounded like it had done 200k!

The cupra 280 is a fantastic machine but clearly the finish on them is not up to standard. SEAT expect you to just keep going back to dealer to resolve or go to different dealer. Not acceptable fo a car with a supposed list price of 32k. Had fingers burned, always had Mercedes, BMW, Audi etc and never had quality issues even as used car to will stick to them from now on

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

mrbugle

Jun 25, 2015
Took mine in today and they have fixed the front suspension; I will have to wait until tomorrow morning to see if the door panels have been fixed properly. It always seems to be worse when it's cold.

Forgot to mention the loaned me a Mii by Mango.
Not sure why it gets rave reviews, it's 3 cylinder 75 BHP engine sounds like it runs on gravel or bees.
Hateful little car, I personally couldn't find a single redeeming quality about it.

Last edited:

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
I did my own door cards. I enjoyed doing it and I treated it like anything else I've done to my car; a modification.

If you are into cars and you enjoy your car you won't have a problem with spending half an hour on a weekend doing the job. My work was a damn sight better than anything the dealer could have done. To me it's no different than spraying my alloys or fitting a splitter.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Took mine in today and they have fixed the front suspension; I will have to wait until tomorrow morning to see if the door panels have been fixed properly. It always seems to be worse when it's cold.

Forgot to mention the loaned me a Mii by Mango.
Not sure why it gets rave reviews, it's 3 cylinder 75 BHP engine sounds like it runs on gravel or bees.
Hateful little car, I personally couldn't find a single redeeming quality about it.

I got loaned one of these! Getting back into the Cupra was like getting into a Ferrari.

Julian1977

Jan 28, 2015
As somebody said on this forum... all cars rattle. I plan to sell it and get a Toyota GT86. Google's full of "GT86 rattles" :D

Last edited:

Villers

Billy Villain
Apr 12, 2014
Cumbria
www.horizonwatches.com
Oh well thats ok then, I'll just let SEAT walk all over me and spend the next 18 months paying for a car that winds me up. SEAT will be sad to see you go to toyota with that attitude.

As for fixing my own car, that I pay for every month and is 18 months old, I cant think of any reason why a reasonable person would find that in anyway acceptable. Its not like fitting a splitter at all, where do you draw the line Im genuinely curious.

No wonder they get away with sand bagging customers when theres owners willing to put up with it so much.

Julian1977

Jan 28, 2015
SEAT will be sad to see you go to toyota with that attitude.

As for fixing my own car, that I pay for every month and is 18 months old, I cant think of any reason why a reasonable person would find that in anyway acceptable.

I have to confess that mine doesn't rattle. It had its fair share of issues but not any more. I stopped worrying when I read here that even a £200k Aston Martin rattles. And I would never let a bloody car take over my life.

I think rattles and the result of many factors but mainly the quality of the roads, I am sure that each and every one of you will agree that the roads are not what they used to be, and the fact that cars (all brands) these days are no longer built to last. My other car is 11 years old, it has done 105k miles and it is still rattle free. I drove the Leon yesterday on a newly resurfaced road... What a bliss! No annoying noises.

18 months left? You're lucky. I've got 4 years left as I bought mine with a five year bank loan.

Last edited:

Aardvark

Apr 24, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire
I have never in my driving career had a rattle free car and I have driven over 900,000 miles give or take. By the time I retire in 5 years I will have passed 1 million miles.

List of cars with rattles:
Ford Cortina x2, Sierrax3 Astra Mk II x2 Astra Mk III, Cavalier, Honda Accord , Vectra x3, Vectra Mk2 , BMW 3 series, Peugeot 405 Sri but more rattles than all other cars added together, Ford Mondeo Mk II, Toyota Avensis x3 Audi A4, BMW 3 series, Citroen C4, Citroen DS4, Corsa C, Corsa D and a Mk II Nova. the worst two cars were the Peugeot 405 and the Honda accord, there were driving around in a box of spanners dragging a trailer full of spoons over cobbled streets. All of these cars have been from either delivery mileage or less than 1 year old demo miles.

and now after 30,000 miles my Leon ST FR has developed a creaking in the centre console from cold that clears as the car gets warm and a vibration in the drivers door from the led strip on certain types of road surfaces. Solution #1 turn up heating, solution # 2 turn up radio :D, or find a different road with non-vibrating surface.

Last edited:

Villers

Billy Villain
Apr 12, 2014
Cumbria
www.horizonwatches.com
Or solution number 3, refuse to accept shoody build quality. My mk2 leon was fine, no creaks or rattles. Mk3 leon, creaky from day one. I have owned old cars (15 year old BMW being the oldest) and brand new cars and never come across anything like this POS leon. I dont find 'they all do that' as a reasonable explanation. If they all do that it wouldnt hurt for it to be in the brochure...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise