Going to buy a fast Leon - Few Questions please help?

true-blue

Cupra hunting now !

Having looked at the additional running costs, I going CUPRA hunting !!

I'm assuming the Servicing costs aren't that much higher on the CUPRA than the FR's ?

I just want something Rapid, but docile if I want it to be. Also something that doesn't scream 'race me' like the current shape civic type r does.

what does a standard spec CUPRA come with ? Bluetooth, Cruise, etc ??

Thanks all, should be a member of the club by saturday 4th April (if I can find one) - which is also my 40th Birthday (life in the old boy yet!)

true-blue

You did a what?
seriously if you are going to the lengths of spreadsheets and figures walk straight past the Cupra , FR and look at the diesels.

Why!? - just a bit of common sense to work out how much extra it's going to cost to run. Only took me 5 mins and I've got very good idea how much extra it's going to cost me, and the conclusion I've come to is that it's worth it !!
well worth doing as it would be easy to assume the extra costs would be stratospheric and they're not.

on the other hand if you want a rewarding , good handling car that will put a smile on your face then Cupra all the way , then after a fw months get it remapped and you wont stop grinning ;)

I do!!

lesinge2k

Feb 18, 2009
Uttoxeter
I've just done a quick spreadsheet and if CUPRA did 25mpg average and the tdi 170 did 40mpg, based on 12k business miles (13p per mile petrol / 10p per mile diesel - what I can claim) and 7000 personal miles (ott) I'd only be £67 a month worse off !

So is the Cupra worth the extra road tax, insurance (I'm 40 wife is 30) and £67 fuel bill ??

Cheers.

ahh spreadsheets... great for making decisions... when the spreadsheet gives you the answer you don't want, your heart rules and you get the car you wanted anyway :D

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds

I'm assuming the Servicing costs aren't that much higher on the CUPRA than the FR's ?

I just want something Rapid, but docile if I want it to be. Also something that doesn't scream 'race me' like the current shape civic type r does.

Thanks all, should be a member of the club by saturday 4th April (if I can find one) - which is also my 40th Birthday (life in the old boy yet!)

Cupra come with cruise as standard but not bluetooth, it is however an option.

Some Cupras have Xenons as standard I think generally any built in 2007, it became a cost option around end of 2007.

Other standard features 18" alloys, dual climate control, electric windows all round, ESP, space saver spare wheel, folding mirrors, Cupra sports seats, 6 airbags, tyre pressure monitor. I'm sure there is other stuff as well. It has all the usual features you'd expect on a modern car.

Carr20vt

Dec 18, 2003
South Wales
Visit site

You buying new or used?
You can get the Cupra with all extras B Tooth, Convenience Pack, Xenons, Auto lights & Wipers, I pod dock, Steering wheel controls, Auto dimming rear window, Blah blah blah!
Where you based?
I think you get a lot of car for the money with the Cupra.

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
You buying new or used?
You can get the Cupra with all extras B Tooth, Convenience Pack, Xenons, Auto lights & Wipers, I pod dock, Steering wheel controls, Auto dimming rear window, Blah blah blah!
Where you based?
I think you get a lot of car for the money with the Cupra.

I forgot to say steering wheel controls are standard.

The options are from memory:

Bluetooth which includes large MFD (Multi Function Display) this lets you change additional settings for the car as well.

Convenience Pack (Auto Lights, Wiper and Auto dimming mirror). I had these and it was a great option

iPod or USB (but not both), this also deletes the AUX in

Additional airbags

Passenger air bag deactiviation

Xenon headlights with washers (standard on MY07 and MY08 models up to end of 2007)

Sunroof

Think that's the lot. Not sure how many people spec the options, all the ones I looked at new had the iPod and the one coming into stock that I ordered had the convenience pack.

Many people on here spec the bluetooth as it does so much more with the large MFD, but not sure it is a common option outside this forum. I've driven probably about 6 different Leons and don't think any of them had it.

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
how about getting a FR TDI then get Custom Code and JBS to map it and remove DPF then you can have a car that does 50-60mpg and is just as fast (if not faster) than a standard Cupra in real world terms?

this way you will be saving TAX, Fuel costs and insurance!!!! fair enough you have £1000 to pay to custom code first :cry: lol

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
how about getting a FR TDI then get Custom Code and JBS to map it and remove DPF then you can have a car that does 50-60mpg and is just as fast (if not faster) than a standard Cupra in real world terms?

this way you will be saving TAX, Fuel costs and insurance!!!! fair enough you have £1000 to pay to custom code first :cry: lol

50 -60 mpg? :think:
thought it was more 40ish? , my girlfriends FR is no where near the 50 -60 in real world driving , but then again she is always trying to stay with me ;)

Any modifications would seem to be a waste of time if you're going to drive the car so as to achieve 50-60mpg. I average around 38mpg in my (standard) FR TDI, which might improve slightly with a remap.

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
50 -60 mpg? :think:
thought it was more 40ish? , my girlfriends FR is no where near the 50 -60 in real world driving , but then again she is always trying to stay with me ;)

with my standard FR TDI i get 46mpg on a tank ( and that is pretty constant ) and i like my foot down!

i meant 50-60 mpg with the DPF off remap as that in testing has seen an increase of 10-20mpg more (Quoted from Custom Code's post)

thats what i meant:p

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members