Good sealants for orange-red Leon?

HighFlyingBird

2016 Leon FR 1.4 150 in Chilli Red 2019 - 2020
Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
Hi all

Recently picked up a Leon FR, online the car looked red but in person it'd definitely more orange, not sure on the actual name of the colour but I've not seen any others in this colour.

Anyway all my previous cars were black, so I've got a load of sealants for black cars like turtle wax colour magic left over and I need to get something else for my new car, I've been looking at meguiars hybrid ceramic wax and p&s beadmaker but I can't decide and want to know what you guys recommend.

Thanks!

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I think it's eclipse orange but I'm up for being corrected lol very rare colour if it is as they stopped if I'm not mistaken.

Are you doing a full detail or just sealing the paint work after a 2 bucket wash?

Is the meguiars the spray blue bottle? If so @Sharpy has just used that and it's good from what he said.

Not tried the other one so unknown, I use auto finesse paint sealant for mine along with collonite 845 for the wax with glazes etc the orange will properly pop from the picture of seen. Everyone has there thing lol I'd recommend looking through this thread for some ideas - https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/what-are-you-using.445746/
Have fun!

HighFlyingBird

Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
I think it's eclipse orange but I'm up for being corrected lol very rare colour if it is as they stopped if I'm not mistaken.

It might be eclipse orange but from what I can tell eclipse orange looks far more metallic than mine is, I'd say it's similar to the orange you could get on the MK2 Leons.

As for washing I'd be doing snow foam followed by a 2 bucket wash and clay bar, then go over the car with either AutoGlym Super Resin Polish or some AutoSmart stuff a friend has that seems to work wonders. The Meguiars hybrid stuff does look good in the reviews I've seen but the fact it's part ceramic and so cheap makes me a bit skeptical haha.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Have a look in the boot and there should be a white square sticker which shows the car colour code and VIN number along with the codes for the spec of your car.

It will be a four letter code which will correspond to the actual colour name.

c5a377989b03afcbf20dd0abc654592c.jpg

Like the above which actually shows an A3 Audi. The paint code is the LZ7L in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HighFlyingBird

Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
Have a look in the boot and there should be a white square sticker which shows the car colour code and VIN number along with the codes for the spec of your car.

It will be a four letter code which will correspond to the actual colour name.

c5a377989b03afcbf20dd0abc654592c.jpg

Like the above which actually shows an A3 Audi. The paint code is the LZ7L in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip, just had a look at the code in the sticker that's in my service manual which is LS2Z which when googled shows up as chilli red, Google images confirms this is definitely the colour I have!

Reactions: Maypack

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Reds respond well to warmer top coats, so something with natural wax will look good. Many products now have both natural and synthetic waxes in them. Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax for example works well for any strong colour, and lasts for months.

HighFlyingBird

Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
Reds respond well to warmer top coats, so something with natural wax will look good. Many products now have both natural and synthetic waxes in them. Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax for example works well for any strong colour, and lasts for months.

That's good to know, I've been looking at some of the Soft99 carnuba based stuff so if they work well with red colours I'll keep them in mind. I've only recently heard about Bilt Hamber and people seem to rave about their stuff, is it really that good?

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
That's good to know, I've been looking at some of the Soft99 carnuba based stuff so if they work well with red colours I'll keep them in mind. I've only recently heard about Bilt Hamber and people seem to rave about their stuff, is it really that good?
Their wheel cleaner is the best and some of the waxes are great too. Double speed looks good and lasts well, and for older paint and swirled paint auto balm is magic.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014

I’ve never used Bilt Hamber products but I have used Soft99 Dark Coat 12 Months Wax, which I find is very good. In spite of its name, it’s a sealant (there’s a ‘Light Coat’ version too for light(er) coloured cars). As the name suggests, it’s designed for darker coloured cars - I read somewhere that it contains a small amount of fillers so should help to hide minor swirl marks. It’s highly hydrophobic, so water just beads up and rolls off, and it has good durability. I’ve not managed 12 months protection from it before reapplying, but it does give a good six months protection. Costs around £22 a tin.

JonnyG

Mar 18, 2019
I've been using Beadmaker for the last two months and really liking it. Its very easy to work with (you can use it on a wet or dry car) and leaves a very silky, slick feel to the paint. The main thing for me though is the level of gloss it leaves which should be great also on your Chilli Red !! I'd give that a try and see what you think. It really makes my paint pop !

The downside is that it doesn't seem to last that long or bead like crazy. So over Winter I will be swapping back to Sonax BSD or maybe give the Meguiars Ceramic Wax a try too.

There are plenty of reviews of both on the Forensic Detailing Youtube channel which I think are fairly honest and neutral :-

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Sonax BSD is great mixed with other stuff, including beadmaker. Ive tried mixing with Prima Hydro Seal this weekend and it works well, also going to try it with AutoBrite Project 64, which is very slick and glossy by itself, but offers little protection.

HighFlyingBird

Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
I’ve never used Bilt Hamber products but I have used Soft99 Dark Coat 12 Months Wax, which I find is very good. In spite of its name, it’s a sealant (there’s a ‘Light Coat’ version too for light(er) coloured cars). As the name suggests, it’s designed for darker coloured cars - I read somewhere that it contains a small amount of fillers so should help to hide minor swirl marks. It’s highly hydrophobic, so water just beads up and rolls off, and it has good durability. I’ve not managed 12 months protection from it before reapplying, but it does give a good six months protection. Costs around £22 a tin.
I remember someone somewhere saying that the Soft99 Fussocoats are insane for durability, they last forever and are a real pain to get off with stripping methods apparently.

HighFlyingBird

Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
I've been using Beadmaker for the last two months and really liking it. Its very easy to work with (you can use it on a wet or dry car) and leaves a very silky, slick feel to the paint. The main thing for me though is the level of gloss it leaves which should be great also on your Chilli Red !! I'd give that a try and see what you think. It really makes my paint pop !

The downside is that it doesn't seem to last that long or bead like crazy. So over Winter I will be swapping back to Sonax BSD or maybe give the Meguiars Ceramic Wax a try too.

There are plenty of reviews of both on the Forensic Detailing Youtube channel which I think are fairly honest and neutral :-

Bead Maker definitely seems like it's on the cards, I might use it as a topcoat over the Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax if the durability of Bead Maker isn't the best in the world.

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
I use autofinesse, meguiars and autoglym. Carbon collective do a product called Hybrid. It’s £40 for a litre and I think you can make 10 litres out of it diluted. Spray on Rinse off sealant that lasts 3 months with correct prep and maintenance. Also improves gloss and the beading is amazing... I have my car sealed in their ceramic glass coating, ceramic wheel coating and then I use hybrid once a month or so. So easy to maintain with these products!

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
I have also coated my exhaust tips in Caron collectives ceramic wheel coating and the black deposits just spray off with the pressure washer each week. Took quite a bit of polishing with super fine steel wool and metal polish but now they are nice and shiny and stay that way. The coatings in question last 2 years on wheel coating and glass coating lasts 1 year on windscreen and limits use needed of the wipers. When on motorway at 70+ i don’t need to use them water just runs straight off. Would really recommend!

S4BiT

Dec 8, 2018
If you can get your hands on only for the standard retail products, i would suggest to try Meguiars Synthetic Sealant 2.0, altho im using and selling other manufacturers products now, it is/was a really great products, made a great deep shine and was easy to wipe off!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.