Good shop in Glasgow

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post but I’m looking to upgrade my MKII FR TDI brakes to the cupra package and was hoping for some advice on where to go in the Glasgow area? I’ve only really used my local dealership for work in the past but as warranty is now out I don’t really want to pay the extra premium for the privilege of getting a yellow sticker on my back window... ahem! I was looking to purchase brakes from Dave in NI, so need somewhere that will just fit as opposed to supply / fit!

Any suggestions welcome, not shopped about yet but thought a quick ask on folks best garages wouldn’t go a miss,

cheers,
D

PS: has anyone upgraded to Cupra brakes recently? How much better, cost to fit and pics would be grand!

Last edited by a moderator:

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post but I’m looking to upgrade my MKII FR TDI brakes to the cupra package and was hoping for some advice on where to go in the Glasgow area? I’ve only really used my local dealership for work in the past but as warranty is now out I don’t really want to pay the extra premium for the privilege of getting a yellow sticker on my back window... ahem! I was looking to purchase brakes from Dave in NI, so need somewhere that will just fit as opposed to supply / fit!

Any suggestions welcome, not shopped about yet but thought a quick ask on folks best garages wouldn’t go a miss,

cheers,
D

PS: has anyone upgraded to Cupra brakes recently? How much better, cost to fit and pics would be grand!

You could try J.Gracies in Duntocher or Bothwell. Not bad prices and a good VW Indie.
Alex

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
You could try J.Gracies in Duntocher or Bothwell. Not bad prices and a good VW Indie.
Alex

Alex,

Good shout buddy, they were indeed going to be my first port of call. Ive used them before for CCode remap but not for any proper mechanical works. Was unsure about whether they would undertake work with me providing parts, but if you don’t ask…

Thanks for info bud, have you used them for any work recently? Im sure I read on a previous post that you were also considering a brake system upgrade?

Cheers again,

D

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
you could manage that yourself mate, its only a couple of bolts and a bleed through, save for a £££

I wish I had the confidence Owen. I take it you fitted the monsters on your Cupra yourself? I read a post recently about cars falling of jacks etc, would defo happen to me…

Im sure it cant be more than a couple of hours labour for someone who knows what they are doing? Might try and do it with a service and attempt to wangle a deal???

Would I not need to replace more than just discs, callipers, carriers etc? The recommended kit as per other posts has a lot of other bits and bobs listed as well?

Sorry for the un-researched questions…

P.S: your not selling your old Cupra brake kit by any chance?

Thanks again,
D

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
affraid not amte, i wil need to keep them for when i put the car back to standard when i decide to sell on!

you should find a cheap set off a crashed car though. keep your eye on ebay

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
Alex,

Good shout buddy, they were indeed going to be my first port of call. Ive used them before for CCode remap but not for any proper mechanical works. Was unsure about whether they would undertake work with me providing parts, but if you don’t ask…

Thanks for info bud, have you used them for any work recently? Im sure I read on a previous post that you were also considering a brake system upgrade?

Cheers again,

D

I used them a few months back to put new brake pads on my rear brakes. Done without any hassle and quickly too. Dropped it off in the morning and went to a local cafe for about an hour.
Yep I have upgraded my fronts (Tarox) and have had that for about 8 months now. Got a set of R32 Rears ready to go on but I am going to send them away to get powdercoated the same colour as the Tarox's.
Alex

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
I used them a few months back to put new brake pads on my rear brakes. Done without any hassle and quickly too. Dropped it off in the morning and went to a local cafe for about an hour.
Yep I have upgraded my fronts (Tarox) and have had that for about 8 months now. Got a set of R32 Rears ready to go on but I am going to send them away to get powdercoated the same colour as the Tarox's.
Alex

Sounds sweet Alex, will look forward to the pics when the rears are installed. I guess the fronts look the part and will stop a bus, ala Owen's RS4 setup? nice!

Another general question (im untrained...!) please,

Do i require all of the kit listed below for conversion of MKII FR TDI to MKII Cupra? What im trying to say is there any common parts that can be re-used or is it not really worth it for the cost of the new parts anyway?

Upgrade FR brakes to Cupra - MKII Leon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEON Mk2 345mm BRAKES AS FITTED TO CUPRA

LH CALIPER 1K0615123K £67.70

RH CALIPER 1K0615124K £67.70

CARRIER 1K0615125G qty 2 £90.46 ea

RETAINING SPRING 4F0615269 qty 2 £8.52 ea

PAD SET 1K0698151B £41.19

BRAKE DISC (345x30mm) 1K0615301M qty 2 £55.94 ea

LH SHIELD 1K0615311C £5.60

RH SHIELD 1K0615312C £5.60

FLEXI HOSE 1K0611701N qty 2 £9.64 ea

BOLT N10647602 qty 4 28p ea

SCREW N90948802 qty 4 £1.15 ea

SCREW N91073301 qty 6 10p ea

BRACKET 1K0611841A 80p

BRACKET 1K0611842A 80p

SCREW N90718601 qty 2 25p ea

PIPE 1K0611763A £4.35

PIPE 1K0611764A £4.35

CLIP 191611715 qty 2 42p ea

THIS LIST IS BASED ON WHAT WE SUPPLIED A FORUM MEMBER TO UPGRADE HIS LEON AND EVERYTHING WAS 100% HOWEVER THERE IS A QUERY WHETHER SOME MODELS MAY NEED NEW HUBS AND CARRIERS - ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

THE 286mm REARS AS WELL

LH CALIPER 1K0615423P

RH CALIPER 1K0615424P

CARRIER 1K0615425J qty 2

PAD SET 1K0698451D

BRAKE DISC (286x12mm) 1K0615601M qty 2

LH SHIELD 1K0615611P

RH SHIELD 1K0615612P

LH FLEXI HOSE 1K0611763E

RH FLEXI HOSE 1K0611764L

the above was copied from an old Dave Sere NI post. I never saw any conf to all of the above being required / or not? Any info on what I may be missing / do not require from above to change my setup would be much appreciated,

Ive tried searching but cannot find the idiots guide i require!

Cheers again,

D

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
I think you need to full kit (everything that is in Dave's list) for the conversion to work.
Alex

Sound, thought as much.

Thanks again for the feedback, and get some pics up of your brakes on when there done please, nice!

D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.