Got a couple of questions about the leon

matt l

Jan 28, 2008
Considering getting one as my next car as my mum has the fr and i love it but just got a few questions about them really.

1) Is there much difference between the ecomotive sport (2l tdi) and the FR tdi other than 30bhp

2) whats the dsg box like to live with? or is it best to go with manual?

3) what common problems do they have?
at the moment my mums brakes grind (only done 7.5k miles) and her paint is awful imo for a new car (top half is like sandpaper but bottom half is smoother :confused: )

4) Handling what is it like on those odd country lane drives? (purely because i hate the way the ibiza handles so want something a bit better in the corners.)

any other information is appreciated too :)

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Considering getting one as my next car as my mum has the fr and i love it but just got a few questions about them really.

1) Is there much difference between the ecomotive sport (2l tdi) and the FR tdi other than 30bhp

2) whats the dsg box like to live with? or is it best to go with manual?

3) what common problems do they have?
at the moment my mums brakes grind (only done 7.5k miles) and her paint is awful imo for a new car (top half is like sandpaper but bottom half is smoother :confused: )

4) Handling what is it like on those odd country lane drives? (purely because i hate the way the ibiza handles so want something a bit better in the corners.)

any other information is appreciated too :)

1) Ecomotive comes only as a 1.9 in S and SE guise. The Sport has the 2L 140 PS engine and does feel slower although is more than up to the job in day to day driving. A good test drive will help sort it out but the Sport TDi is only 1K less than the FR.

2) DSG is good but personally I would ditch the DSG and buy a manual FR TDi for £150ish less!!

3) Issues on DPF's odd electical gremlins, paint is generally ok main issue like mist makes is being water based and therefore softer and more prone to stone chips [:@]

4) Leon is pretty decent in the handling stakes not driven a sport so cannot comment but again a good test drive will confirm or deny, I found the FL FR TDi a hoot slightly firm but very responsive and planted.

Convience pack at £220 and bluetooth at £210 are good value options.

SimonFRTDI

Oct 13, 2009
Bristol
1) Ecomotive comes only as a 1.9 in S and SE guise. The Sport has the 2L 140 PS engine and does feel slower although is more than up to the job in day to day driving. A good test drive will help sort it out but the Sport TDi is only 1K less than the FR.

2) DSG is good but personally I would ditch the DSG and buy a manual FR TDi for £150ish less!!

3) Issues on DPF's odd electical gremlins, paint is generally ok main issue like mist makes is being water based and therefore softer and more prone to stone chips [:@]

4) Leon is pretty decent in the handling stakes not driven a sport so cannot comment but again a good test drive will confirm or deny, I found the FL FR TDi a hoot slightly firm but very responsive and planted.

Convience pack at £220 and bluetooth at £210 are good value options.

To add to the above:

1)Have not driven other models but driving the FR is great fun!

2)I would second sticking to manual at the extra cost involved for DSG. (spend the £1k on FR over sport rather than DSG!)

3)Spot on, although I suppose stone chips will happen regardless and the DPF has not been too problematic for me yet. Plus you can always remove it later!

4)Agreed.

I have bluetooth and it is pretty good. Not sure what would have been in the conv pack?

SimonFRTDI

Oct 13, 2009
Bristol
Personally I think the DSG is worth it. I love mine, although I wish the diesel FR was available with DSG when I bought mine. :shrug:

You should test drive a DSG before discounting it IMHO. ;)

You are right, my bad.

I have no doubt I would like it, just thought it is an expensive extra. Then again, if was all about money we would all drive a G Wiz!

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
You are right, my bad.

I have no doubt I would like it, just thought it is an expensive extra. Then again, if was all about money we would all drive a G Wiz!

I would rather walk than own a G wiz. A G Wiz looks and drive like a Little Tikes Crazy Coupe....:cartman:

51ZEygpJsnL__SS500_.jpg

SimonFRTDI

Oct 13, 2009
Bristol
I would rather walk than own a G wiz. A G Wiz looks and drive like a Little Tikes Crazy Coupe....:cartman:

51ZEygpJsnL__SS500_.jpg

+1, my point exactly. We on SCN have developed some class and most importantly common sense.

If walking became too much, you could also keep the eco-mentalists happy and go back to traditional horsepower?!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.