Grahams81-Leon 4wd, Big Turbo - Back in the saddle :-)

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
My mate runs a GT40 on a 2.1 CDB Subaru. 650 hp. Boost is their from about 4500-4750 rpm.

How about it Graham? You'll be able to line up along side him at York Dragway. His PB their is 10.75@130 mph. I'd love to see you beat him lol.

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Wow, just read the whole thread from start to finish, what can i say,well done Graham i am looking forward to seeing the finished car, and all the pic's of your new shiny bits. :D

Cheers Mate, feel like im getting there or at least getting closer :D

Ouch cancel that turbo order! Coming along nicely though Graham.

I've just sent an email to John @ Treadstone and asked him to send me an EFR7670 Twin scroll but with external wastegate, not sure if its gonna be in stock.. if it aint i'll ask for my money back and order something else.

Go gt35 and be done with it :)

Ohhh don't tempt me :D all though i may think about it :rolleyes:

as any1 done a gt40 by any chance aint seen one on here ?

My mate runs a GT40 on a 2.1 CDB Subaru. 650 hp. Boost is their from about 4500-4750 rpm.

How about it Graham? You'll be able to line up along side him at York Dragway. His PB their is 10.75@130 mph. I'd love to see you beat him lol.

Hhhmmm maybe getting a bit silly now !!!! although i have been known to be a little silly ;)

I have been having a sneaky look at GTX3582r apparently flows the same as a GT4088r.... would that make you lot happy ?????

Or maybe a Precision Billet 6262 with a Ported Comp Cover & T4 divided turbine housing :whistle:

I've gotta go pick up a rather large amount of spares from my local stealers, i've ordered all the bolts for the engine / gearbox joining. Every bolt for the suspension / a set of side skirts & brackets & clips. Mounting parts for the new bumpers etc etc.

My FK coilovers should be here today too :D

Poverty

The efr's are still a while off, looks like you are gonna have to either go with precision turbo, gtx or hta gt35.

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
You keeping the hydrolifters mate?
The turbo's you have in mind are just asking for big rpms

Yeh i'm sticking with the hydraulic lifters for now, they should be fine for the first incarnation (keep below 8000rpm)

Gonna get the car running with whatever turbo i decide on and then when funds allow drop in some I.E cams and a SEM manifold and really see what the engine can make.

With the added stroke i think the pistons speeds would get a bit fruity if i go above 8500rpm.

The efr's are still a while off, looks like you are gonna have to either go with precision turbo, gtx or hta gt35.

Yeh its not really a bad thing, it would just be nice to have the EFR after waiting for over 3 months [:@]

On a lighter note my FK Silverline coilovers have arrived :)

Big thanks to Damian @ DPM, i must say really impressed with the quality - they look awesome and cos there stainless they will do for good while.

DSC00936.jpg

DSC00933.jpg

They come with bump stops already fitted, nice red anodised top spring retainers, new ARB drop links, protection spray....
DSC00934.jpg

DSC00935.jpg

Got loads to do now :) better get in the garage and get cracking..

Jul 4, 2010
Cambs
That sounds like the best idea to me mate.
I was originally planning on sticking with the AGU inlet but after looking at some tests INA did it seems to starve cylinder 1 because of the way the throttle is angled.
I cant afford a SEM so it looks like a homebrew is needed ;)

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Yeh homebrew all the way, there are some kits available in the states that use the runners from OEM manifolds and a pre cast plenum chamber. Can't be arsed to find a link but its on VVortex, worth a read and bags cheaper than a SEM if you know a aluminium welder.

Jul 4, 2010
Cambs
Thats exactly what I was thinking, cut the runners off my agu buy various sizes of aluminium tubes/sheet and have a play. Alex will be welding it but he doesnt know it yet ;)

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
I am partial to a bit of DIY, there's a certain sense of satisfaction stepping back and admiring something you've done yourself / got a mate to do it and took credit !!!

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Well i got a reply from John @ Treadstone, not good news on the 7670 front.....

But he offered me a EFR8374 Twin Scroll Internal Wastegate that he managed to get his hands on - so i've took it :whistle:
All paid for so should be with me soon...yey

So its not a GT40 but it flows more :D

So its gonna be really mental, and i imagine it make take a while to spool, but hey its no daily driver.

The specs are as follows -

EFR 8374 is engineered to support big power levels yet spool fast enough for professional time attack teams. The 74mm Gamma-Ti turbine wheel is the optimal match for the 62.6mm inducer / 83mm exducer FMW compressor wheel and is capable of 79lb/min airflow and 45+psi boost. This is one of the most exciting turbos in the EFR lineup for the high-power addicts. This turbo has the largest EFR compressor housing and is ideal for use in single turbo applications for the 500-800hp range or as twin turbo applications >1400+hp. Ceramic Ball Bearing only, watercooling optional (recommended)

Compressor Specifications
■Compressor Type: Forged-Milled Wheel (FMW) Extended Tip
■Compressor Wheel OD (exducer): 83mm
■Compressor Wheel Inducer: 62.6mm
■Max Flow Rate: 79 lb/min
■Built-in BOV: All EFR compressor housings incorporate an integrated BOV.
■Compressor Housing Connections:
■Inlet: 4" Ported Shroud Hose Coupler
■Outlet: 2.5" Hose Coupler w/ integrated Vband option

Turbine Specifications
■Turbine Type: Low Inertia Gamma-Ti Turbine Wheel
■Turbine Wheel OD: 74mm
■Stainless Steel Investment cast Housing - The EFR 8374 turbine housing configuration:
■0.92 A/R T4 twinscroll (Internal WG)
■Turbine outlet: GT-Vband (aka small 3" vband) ~92mm OD for all EFR turbos

Features
■Dual Row Ceramic Ball Bearings - lowest friction and fastest spool/response, most extreme durability, built-in oil control orifice - (aka oil restrictor) **no restrictor can be used with EFR turbos
■Watercooled Center Section - watercooling is recommended, 14mm banjo bolts
■Double seals on both turbine and compressor end for extreme durability and resistance to any oil seepage
■Boost Control Solenoid Valve Integrated to Compressor Housing
■Integrated Speed Sensor mounting provisions

So i've got some serious work and research to do, there is a dyno graph of the Sierra Sierra Evo 2.2L time attack car (fitted with a 8374 with larger twin scroll housing) and it looks like its coming on boost from 4000rpm full by 5000rpm. Hopefully on the smaller a/r turbine housing it will spin up a bit sooner.

Dyno of Sierra Evo -

borgwarner-efr-8374-turbo-content-12.jpg

So you guys wanted GT40 - this bad boy flows more one !!!!

Couple of "borrowed" photo's of 8374's -

borgwarner-efr-8374-turbo-content-2.jpg

borgwarner-efr-8374-turbo-content-5.jpg

borgwarner-efr-8374-turbo-content-6.jpg

borgwarner-efr-8374-turbo-content-7.jpg

borgwarner-efr-8374-turbo-content-9.jpg

What do you guys think eh ???