Gravelly brakes and general glitches

Mar 24, 2022
Hi.

I've had my V2 for about 6 months (21 plate) now and has 6000 miles on the clock.

I've been back to the dealer 3 times now regarding the brakes and they keep telling me they are fine, so wanted to see if I was the only one.

Basically they sound horrendous. They sound gravelly under slow braking, creak like I've got Chewbacca sitting in the car when I turn the wheels when stationary, and on the whole just don't feel right.

I was told last time it was because they were rusty due to the car sitting and not being driven. I driver it EVERY DAY! So they suggested I coast in neutral and brake heavily to clean them. No change. They also refuse to change them under warranty as say there's nothing wrong with them.

Next is that the car just sounds a bit ropey but again, I'm told there are no issues.

Finally, the bloody infotainment system periodically forgets me as the primary user and goes to 'guest' for absolutly no reason. I use the same key etc and noone else drives the car, so there seems to be no reason for it.

Perhaps I'm just over thinking, but I've had plenty of brand new cars and this is the only one that sounds crap this early on.

Anyone else experiencing this or is it just me?

Thanks

Dan

Tormentor

May 3, 2021
Hi.

I've had my V2 for about 6 months (21 plate) now and has 6000 miles on the clock.

I've been back to the dealer 3 times now regarding the brakes and they keep telling me they are fine, so wanted to see if I was the only one.

Basically they sound horrendous. They sound gravelly under slow braking, creak like I've got Chewbacca sitting in the car when I turn the wheels when stationary, and on the whole just don't feel right.

I was told last time it was because they were rusty due to the car sitting and not being driven. I driver it EVERY DAY! So they suggested I coast in neutral and brake heavily to clean them. No change. They also refuse to change them under warranty as say there's nothing wrong with them.

Next is that the car just sounds a bit ropey but again, I'm told there are no issues.

Finally, the bloody infotainment system periodically forgets me as the primary user and goes to 'guest' for absolutly no reason. I use the same key etc and noone else drives the car, so there seems to be no reason for it.

Perhaps I'm just over thinking, but I've had plenty of brand new cars and this is the only one that sounds crap this early on.

Thanks

Dan
I have a grinding noise when on full lock both ways. I was told it’s the CV joint boots compressing and was normal! This is the first car I had that has made this and there’s been lots. As for the infotainment system, utter garbage.

Big A

Jul 7, 2021
Hi.

Thanks

Dan
My brakes have always sounded as if they're grinding at slow speeds ever since I picked up the car with 7 miles on the clock, and I now have just over 1,600 on it.

My car is actually going into the dealer this coming Tuesday for a software update and also to have the brakes looked at, as well as a very annoying rattle from the rear of the car. I have also recently noticed creaking from the steering when reversing into my driveway at crawling speeds, so was going to bring this up with them too, but as @Tormentor says it could be the CV boots compressing.

TheUkWizard

Jun 3, 2021
West midlands
Did the garage acknowledge the noise, or are they finding it, no fault found?

Brake rust would go after a bit of use, so that was a bullshit answer. Speak to cupra cust services and perhaps they can book it into another dealer.

Gbbeesls

Feb 11, 2022
Hi.

Thanks

Dan
I can't comment on the Formentor just yet as I am still waiting for mine. Anyway, I did have a Merc C-Class that after about 5000 miles statrted making grinding noises and squeaking when breaking. Took it in to the garage and they cleaned them and still the same after a day or so. The car duly went back to the garage and this time they said they had cleaned everything and the grinding has gone. Off I go again and within a few days the noises were back. I eventually complained to the sales manager and head technician and they said they would look into it but they may need the car for few days. After this they changed all the pads and, hey presto, no more grinding or squeaking!! They said it could have just been a bad batch of pads that had been fitted at the factory. Anyway, I would suggest you complain to the top people and get them to change the pads. (y)

Mar 24, 2022
They acknowledged the loud chewbacca noise but just said that is should die down once they wear a little. But the gravelly noise they didnt even take the car for a quick test drive, merely took a look, saw some rust and said that was the problem. About as useful as a chocolate fire guard. I just feel like I'm fobbed off the entire time.
I've been back to the garage I bought it (Snows in Portsmouth) and also one closer to home (SMC in Aldershot). Snows were a bunch of tossers from the start, whereas SMC were nice but still useless. It's doing my head in.

@Big A - let me know what they say about yours if you dont mind. Be interesting to see if they do anything.

I might also call Cupra customer service and start getting a bit grumpy. I suggested replacing the brakes at both Snows and SMC but both said it wouldnt be under warranty. I think I might need to start getting shouty.

Reactions: Big A and Gbbeesls

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
I have a grinding noise when on full lock both ways. I was told it’s the CV joint boots compressing and was normal! This is the first car I had that has made this and there’s been lots.
We have to reverse out of our driveway on full lock and both Mrs Seriously's cars, her current Leon and previous Ibiza MK5 had the noisy CV boot thing.

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Take the car out for a drive and be a bit abusive with the brakes, do several high speed stops (70mph+ dual carriageway into roundabout type stops) and generally give them a good work out. Modern brake systems are engineered to take a lot of abuse, but a lot of people drive relatively gently so won't work them hard enough, especially the rear brakes which hardly see any action due to weight transfer unless heavily laden.

Reactions: Big A
Mar 27, 2023
I can't comment on the Formentor just yet as I am still waiting for mine. Anyway, I did have a Merc C-Class that after about 5000 miles statrted making grinding noises and squeaking when breaking. Took it in to the garage and they cleaned them and still the same after a day or so. The car duly went back to the garage and this time they said they had cleaned everything and the grinding has gone. Off I go again and within a few days the noises were back. I eventually complained to the sales manager and head technician and they said they would look into it but they may need the car for few days. After this they changed all the pads and, hey presto, no more grinding or squeaking!! They said it could have just been a bad batch of pads that had been fitted at the factory. Anyway, I would suggest you complain to the top people and get them to change the pads. (y)
Did you change front and rear pads?

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
This. It happened at least once a week and drove me absolutely mental. So much so that I deleted the primary user and now just run as guest. Which of course means a load of other stuff doesn't work such as live traffic and OTA updates. But for me it would either select guest and I'd then have to manually switch to get my favourite stations, phone profile, shortcuts etc. or it would just freeze for 10-15 minutes trying to select the primary after which it would either work, or just select guest anyway. 😣

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
I' ve been logged in as 'guest' for months now after failing to get the system updated OTA. Apart from the periodical infotainment glitches (no radio sound, no parking assistance etc) which either fix themselves while driving or after the next start up, I had no other issues and I'm still running version 1896 from factory.

Cuprashire

May 20, 2022
Agreed re: brakes, shocking grinding like they are gubbed, but not even done 4k miles. I don't drive it every day but will go and give the brakes a good workout on the Scottish backroads.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.