Grease In Wheel Arch

CupraString

Jul 29, 2008
West Mids
Was cleaning my LC today and noticed grease around the inside of the arch, my first thoughts (other than bollocks) was the CV joint had gone but when turning in tight circles left and right on a local car park it sounded and felt fine. The other thing is when im getting on and off drop down kerbs it creaks.
Help please Im thinking maybe the CV joint gator any ideas................

Essexcupra

Jul 21, 2009
Romford, Essex
Cv gaiter has either split or zip tie has come off where the joint meets the hub. GET IT DONE QUICK. Pack it with poly li grease (constant velocity grease, dont use any other grease as they go thin at heat) then get a new clip in if the other has broke or a new gaiter. If the joint runs dry you'll get the clicking on full lock when driving and even worse if it runs dry too long the shaft will shear off. As for the creaking could be couple of things but first thoughts would be maybe spring not sitting properly in the cup of the damper or worn top mounts thus giving movement in the damper itself.

CupraString

Jul 29, 2008
West Mids
Dropped car off at local garage today told them to check all of the above possible problems. He seemed to have an overall good knowledge on VAG cars so we will see what he finds, trouble is im at home now with nothing to do : (

mjt

Jul 12, 2008
i didn't realise mine went, and then the outer joint exploded and cost me a fortune to fix :(
so good job on getting it in early!

CupraString

Jul 29, 2008
West Mids
i didn't realise mine went, and then the outer joint exploded and cost me a fortune to fix :(
so good job on getting it in early!

Holy ****!! Glad I spotted it, just got car back he checked arbs and bushes top mounts cv joint and he found a small split in the gaitor so hopefully thats all, allthough im not convinced it will stop the creek but he said everything is mechanically sound.........so now I can get my 18's and koni's :whistle:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members