Green Temp Sensor - LCR

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
Agree with above, if its not broken then it doesn't need changing. There is a common fault with them, saying that mine lasted 5 years.... and i actually went through 2 green ones in the space of 3 weeks. Luck of the draw.

Did the guy say there was a problem with yours?

Andy

Apr 24, 2007
W. yorkshire
there can often be a problem without actually realising it
they are a few measly quid so in my opinion
if your doing other work in the bay its quick and easy
enough to change that at same time

DJ-LIAMC

VAGisclean
May 31, 2009
Loughborough
According to VAG-COM, it's over or under reading but can'r remember which. I am not sure how this would affect the car though?

Have a look in my build thread DJ :)

Ok cheers, so if you have the black temp sensor then i must have too because we both got 210 lcrs. i might have to get the green one then :D

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
If the temp sensor is reading low i.e it thinks the engine is cold I would have thought it would be over fueling,
If you phone AmD they will know what you are talking about Jamjay, I dont think they are that expensive.

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
I see, i didn't realize that it was reading odd. I had an issue with mine where my temp gauge was always reading low, as in not even registering on the gauge and my car was returning about 26 mpg on a motorway run.

I got my replacements from GSF, if i remember it was about £16 including a new o-ring. Very easy to fit. Engine temp sensor is what i had it down on my invoice as.

Andy

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
Agree with above, if its not broken then it doesn't need changing. There is a common fault with them, saying that mine lasted 5 years.... and i actually went through 2 green ones in the space of 3 weeks. Luck of the draw.

Did the guy say there was a problem with yours?

Andy

Not all sensors were created equal. Cheap sensors from lower quality producers are made from poor brass alloys and usually crack on the edge, where brass bonds to plastic. Average lifespan about 6 months.

OEM quality green sensors are much better, but 5 times dearer

Maria

my mid-life crisis car
Jun 22, 2016
South-West
Thanks Lee.

So would over reading mean over fuelling and under reading mean under fuelling?

I guess I just call up SEAT and ask for a new sensor at it will be green? Is it the engine temp sensor I ask for or the coolant temp...or is that the same thing? Sorry for lame Q's.

I just got one from my local general parts shop, was expecting to pay the £25 I'd seen on Ebay but it was £17.50. Not yet fitted so can't report on any difference yet though.

No if it reads the temperature low it will put in more fuel for a cold start, same as a choke if you're old like me and remember starting a car on choke! If your exhaust is a little bit sooty that's normally a sure sign of it running too rich.

Last edited:

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
Don't buy a cheap £5 Ebay one. I had one has it only lasted 6 months and caused massive problems the car would misfire and got so bad it wouldn't start. I fitted an oem one which was £32 and its been fine ever since.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members