Hand Car Washes

scarface

Oct 27, 2005
West Midlands
The point of the thread is to ask if going to a hand car wash would damage paintwork. I didnt even mention the 2 bucket method. But thanks for the tips anyway.

munkyboy

Jul 24, 2008
Cardiff
Ok fair point did get a little bit of topic but I think that the question asked is a bit open and it all depends on who and how the people wash them at the hand car wash. From my own experiance they do more damage than it is worth. as the effort to rectify the problem some of them cause is not worth £5.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Ok fair point did get a little bit of topic but I think that the question asked is a bit open and it all depends on who and how the people wash them at the hand car wash. From my own experiance they do more damage than it is worth. as the effort to rectify the problem some of them cause is not worth £5.
Agreed hence we went on the topic of the two bucket method (not really off topic perse)

Apr 24, 2007
W. yorkshire
Personally i dont agree with the 2 bucket
as your still transfering the dirt from one bucket to the other
fair enough not as much but you stil transfer some so all your doing is reducing the risk not removing it
so in my opinion its hardly worth the hassle if you dont have the time

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Personally i dont agree with the 2 bucket
as your still transfering the dirt from one bucket to the other
fair enough not as much but you stil transfer some so all your doing is reducing the risk not removing it
so in my opinion its hardly worth the hassle if you dont have the time
The hole point of the two bucket method is that its the least invasive method of cleaning your car. If done properly then you will reduce the potential of putting swirls in the paint work. The fact that near every professional detailer uses this method speaks volumes for its effectiveness.

What dont you agree with? That it works? What method do you suggest?

EDIT: perfect example right here http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=128093&highlight=two+bucket+method

munkyboy

Jul 24, 2008
Cardiff
I completely agree, it is not meant to stop the scratching but merely to reduce the risk of scratching which it is all about. At the end of the day we spend so much time and money on our cars because they are our pride and joy is it really too much effort to carry 2 buckets around a car. i would rather do that than spending hours trying to get the scratches out.

Witht he swirl marks I have we spent 2 hours with a machine polisher on the bonnet and even though most of them have gone. The opnes from the hand car wash have not as they are a lot deeper than the ones from the car wash

Apr 24, 2007
W. yorkshire
why do you feel the need to argue?
your missing the point here completely.
an opinion is an opinion end of

The original question was risen cos he doesn't have the time/ energy
to spend endless hours cleaning his car
so why would he want to mess around with 2 buckets?

some people need to calm their passion

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I do not feel any need to argue. I am giving factual information here for the benifit of everyone who reads this and the thread starter.

What lets the discussion down is when someone comes and says they do not like a method or do not agree with a method then doesnt explain in full or have evidence to backup their arguement.

Detailing is a passion of mine so the more I can help people the better. Everyone who knows me will agree on this point.

Apr 24, 2007
W. yorkshire
I do not feel any need to argue. I am giving factual information here for the benifit of everyone who reads this and the thread starter.

What lets the discussion down is when someone comes and says they do not like a method or do not agree with a method then doesnt explain in full or have evidence to backup their arguement.

Detailing is a passion of mine so the more I can help people the better. Everyone who knows me will agree on this point.

your still arguing!! lol
it clearly isn't a passion of his hense
he is happy to go to a hand wash
im not here to say anyone is wrong
im only saying its irelivent to his question

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
an opinion is an opinion end of

The original question was risen cos he doesn't have the time/ energy
to spend endless hours cleaning his car
so why would he want to mess around with 2 buckets?

some people need to calm their passion
Keeping to the point - 2 bucket method adds minimal time to the cleaning process.

I think you need to read his origional post again as I think you missed the point completely. he said Would you recommend going to these kinda places?

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Recently ive become lazy in the car wahsing department and instead have been pulling into the local hand car wash places you seem to see dotted all over the place these days!

The one i go to charges £5 for a full clean, wax (wet spray on wax thing), dry with chamis, window shine, door sills, inside window shine and tire dressing, which is all normally carrie dout by 3-4 guys!

Car comes out spotless with a real nice shine to it.

Would you recommend going to these kinda places? Some people say they use cheap cleaning products for the cars, but they seem to be using all the right gear.

What you think?

I use one all the time roughly every 10 days, the physical exhaustion i would get doing it is really not worth my health.
They charge £6 down here and do a cracking job, if they mess up, they re-do it for free.

munkyboy

Jul 24, 2008
Cardiff
I dont think anyone is really arguing but there are obviously a wide range of techniques to be used in washing cars. The two bucket technique is used by a lot of people and my point is that scarface has asked whether anyone would use the hand car washes and I have explained why I wouldnt use them and how I think in my opinion the best way to clean your car is.

Sorry if it has sounded arguementative but it wasnt meant to come across that way.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I dont think anyone is really arguing but there are obviously a wide range of techniques to be used in washing cars. The two bucket technique is used by a lot of people and my point is that scarface has asked whether anyone would use the hand car washes and I have explained why I wouldnt use them and how I think in my opinion the best way to clean your car is.

Sorry if it has sounded arguementative but it wasnt meant to come across that way.
ditto.

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
In answer to the original question I wouldnt take mine for all of the reasons already stated.
However I fully understand that people for whatever reason would and do use them.
The pro's and con's have been pointed out so individuals can make their own minds up.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
As people have said before it depends on how much you care about your paintwork and if you are willing to put in the time and effort to clean your car yourself. If you are fanatical about it you can take all day and more to clean your car and while I appreciate the attention to detail that is required to do this, I myself would only dedicate this amount of time on cleaning my car maybe once a year.

Scarface has said he isn't really too bothered about swirl marks and the like so as far as using one of these quickie £5 places goes, for the money I would say some of them aren't bad (that doesn't mean in any way that I would recommend one to anybody who asked me about washing their car) and wouldn't be a problem, It sounds to me like he knows pretty much what to expect for the money he's paying and knows it won't be a first rate job that rivals that of a good detailer but is more concerned if it would cause any real damage with the methods and products they use, as far as this goes it's always going to be a bit of a lottery as you have no idea if the chamois was dropped on the floor 10 minutes before you pull up into the queue to get your car washed, but you pay your money and take your chance if you are happy with the results you get and can't be doing with spending hours cleaning it yourself I would say it's a far better option than the local garage car wash but don't be surprised when the odd scratch starts to appear on your car over time.

Just my opinion.

Txspete

Having just left my car in the hands of the guys who wash cars in the work car park and I am going to be very interested to see how she looks when I get back. The car is 10 years old so I dont expect perfection but the condition it has been kept is exceptional and I am now regretting my decision. I do sometime wash my car myself and had never even heard of the two bucket method but will definitely getting myself a second one as I can see the obvious benefits it would have. In the past I never cared too much about the odd swirl so find these places to be fine but as I now feel I want slightly more from the finish I feel the only way forward can be to do it myself.

Jim@WD

never even heard of the two bucket method but will definitely getting myself a second one as I can see the obvious benefits

In the past I never cared too much about the odd swirl so find these places to be fine but as I now feel I want slightly more from the finish I feel the only way forward can be to do it myself.

Sometimes, it's the only way. Theres a massive amount of trust in passing it over to someone else.. I've been sat at my local gym waiting for my training partner to appear, whilst watching the Hand-Car wash chaps run around BM's, Audi's, the odd Porsche and Jaguar. Sometimes, I feel like crying when I see the cars drive passed whilst in full sun-light. BUT, as others have rightly pointed out, this, to some people, isn't an issue. So long as the end result is 'clean', they're happy. Some people aren't educated, some people couldn't give a damn, and, some haven't got the time to do it 'properly'.

A snippet I've taken from my 'Dummies guide' RE the two-bucket wash..

"In all of my reports, you will notice the wording “Two Bucket-method”. It really is exactly what it says on the tin.

Traditional car-wash methods include a single sponge, a single bucket and dollop of shampoo solution.

The Two Bucket-Method comprises one for the shampoo solution, and one acting as a rinse bucket.

Logic: Dirt is picked up off your car when the sponge(!) (More on this later..) moves over the paints surface. Usually, this sponge will go straight back to the single bucket for more suds and immediately back onto the paintwork, grit/dirt included.

Introducing a second ‘rinse’ bucket allows these foreign particles to be freed prior to touching your paintwork (thus, REDUCING the chance of inflicting damage).

sarah_9

Hello,

Wash your car with some good car shampoo, wipe it soft cotton, put some good quality wax on it, and it will look like a new car, you love your car dn1t you? cant you spend some time on its maintenance.

Regards,
sarah_9

coast2coasttrafficschool

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.