Handling Mods for Cupra / K1

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
Would be interested in hearing your views on suspension mods / strut braces etc that you have installed on your Cupra / k1 and in particular the ones that come highly recommended.

I currently have a standard K1 and albeit that the weather hasnt helped and the tyrpes I currently have are poor the car spins in gears 1,2 and 3 when pushed hard and can't say I feel particularly safe in the corners either!

With the plans for a revo re-map in future I want to make sure handling is far improved and any other mods that will reduce wheel spin and focus more of the power getting the car going forward.

I have some new tyres in the pipe line that will help but not interested in a debate on tyres as many threads on this just those that improve handling and grip.

Please note i am not overly knowledgeable on all the mods so an explaination on what these do would be appreciated :)

Your views appreciated.

Poverty

sounds like your car desperately needs new tyres if its spinning up in 3rd in std form :headhurt:

Do the tires first, then map it and then see what part of the handling you want to impove on! If you want to get the power down better get a pendulum engine mount

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
I think of you do a search mate we've just had one of these threads with some good info, I would find it for you but I'm on the iPhone sorry.

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
thanks guys will do some searching.

Poverty had a whizz through your tuning mods, so your suspension and handling still as standard with 360bhp.

Maybe I should just do the tyres and remap after all!

Poverty

thanks guys will do some searching.

Poverty had a whizz through your tuning mods, so your suspension and handling still as standard with 360bhp.

Maybe I should just do the tyres and remap after all!

Yeah get some good tires on there, I hated the standard ones that come with the car.

Eagle F1 assys and a map will put the power down with not too much drama in 2nd onwards in the dry.

Have got some chassis mods waiting to go on the car now that im pretty much done engine wise.

Enjoy the modding ;)

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
sounds like your car desperately needs new tyres if its spinning up in 3rd in std form :headhurt:

Do the tires first, then map it and then see what part of the handling you want to impove on! If you want to get the power down better get a pendulum engine mount

Re-assuring to know that the tyres themselves can make a huge difference;

Currently has Prestivo Sport on the front (never heard of these must be a cheap alternative but might as well wear them out first!) and Bridgestone Potenza on the rear which also don't seem to get the greatest reviews.

I'm considering Vredestein Ultra Sessanta tyres which seem to have a big following here

Furthermore I get an annoying droning noise in the car which I understand can be contributed to bad wheel alignment and poor tyres/wear. Is this true?

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
Anyone have a good supplier / website I could get the following from (after I've sorted the tyres!);

- Front and Rear ARBs
- Mk2 audi TT lower support arms (Think probably can get this direct from AUDI assume the ones on the Mk2 Audi TT are the correct ones for a K1?)
- WALK
- Uprated lower subframe engine mount

Cheers :)

Edit: - UK suppliers only please

robjnr

258 spanish donkeys
Oct 24, 2007
Bristol
My way of thinking is that a standard car with a well sorted chassis will be quicker than a remapped cupra with a weak chassis.

If i was you then i'd sort your handling problems out first. Get the tyres replaced with some decent rubber, then get the WALK kit and then get some anti-roll bars, THEN get your wheel alignment done with a little bit of toe-in on the front (that will make the car grip more when going round corners) the car will be 100% better, if you want you could also stick on some lowering springs but thats more for looks really.

THEN get the remap done

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
Did I read somewhere that the pendulum mount is the best/most noticeable mod for getting the power down? Then the WALK after that?

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
My way of thinking is that a standard car with a well sorted chassis will be quicker than a remapped cupra with a weak chassis.

If i was you then i'd sort your handling problems out first. Get the tyres replaced with some decent rubber, then get the WALK kit and then get some anti-roll bars, THEN get your wheel alignment done with a little bit of toe-in on the front (that will make the car grip more when going round corners) the car will be 100% better, if you want you could also stick on some lowering springs but thats more for looks really.

THEN get the remap done

Cheers mate. This was my original thinking, sort the handling first before the re-map. I'll stick some decent tyres on first and then see what difference it makes as the crappy tyres came on the car when I bought it.

One thing for sure is i'd like to get the best out of the cars performance with or without the re-map. No point in having all that power if you cant get it to stick to the road and move forward :)

Anyone recommend suppliers for ARBs and WALKs?

robjnr

258 spanish donkeys
Oct 24, 2007
Bristol
Awsome gti, JKM, JBS, DPM

When i come to do my anti-roll bars i will be getting the autotech lightweight ones from JBS, expensive but any weight saving is a must,

Does anyone know where or how i can get my hands on some TT lower support arms

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
Cheers mate. This was my original thinking, sort the handling first before the re-map. I'll stick some decent tyres on first and then see what difference it makes as the crappy tyres came on the car when I bought it.

One thing for sure is i'd like to get the best out of the cars performance with or without the re-map. No point in having all that power if you cant get it to stick to the road and move forward :)

Anyone recommend suppliers for ARBs and WALKs?

Sponsors on the forum? Damien at DPM will sort you out with both as well as JKM, Awesome GTI, AMD who are active sponsors on the forum.
The TT lower support arms can be had from an Audi dealer or from TPS if you have an account (incidently anyone know what the part numbers are?)
Alex

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
Sponsors on the forum? Damien at DPM will sort you out with both as well as JKM, Awesome GTI, AMD who are active sponsors on the forum.
The TT lower support arms can be had from an Audi dealer or from TPS if you have an account (incidently anyone know what the part numbers are?)
Alex

Cheers, that's a great help.

Hopefully start my own project thread soon :)

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Mk2 audi TT lower support arms???

Whats the story with these? What do they do/replace?

they add a bit more degree of camber but without increasing tyre wear, i think they're also lighter and cost around £300, so these and some lightweight ARB's and a WALKit and a subframe engine mount should see you all set. Then personaly some lightweight wheels and some sticky tyres and some corner weighted coillies and you'll be on rails.

Also and LSD but thats quite an expensive mod.

Last edited:

Poverty

AMD reckon after the map, the best mod to make to harness the power round corners is a diff, said it transformed their racecar.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.