Handling ?????

R French

My girlfriend drives our MK4 FR TDi and its an ok car, it just doesn't handle as well as my old MK2. In fact it's the worst handing SEAT I've driven, it does not inspire confidence although quick enough. I really hate it every time I get in for drive anywhere.

So in an effort to get it to be something half decent I've fitted Koni FSD dampers, Eibach Springs, and for stopping 312x25mm Discs and TT callipers, tweaked the 2nd brake pedal switch adjustment to slow the ABS and engine cut.
It's got a better ride and stops better but show it a corner and I have zero feel from the car. Oh, have uprated all the bushes and set it up on a laser alignment system with a little extra rear negative camber and 1.5 neg on the front.

Any ideas what I can do to sharpen it up that don't cost a fortune?

Can the PAS be tuned via vagcom as it is a pretty soulless affair?

Ideas? Thanks.:confused:

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Neg 1.5 deg camber on the front? I wouldn't fancy that. Yeh you'll get extra bite out of the corners, but suffer elsehwere.

Are the above modifications all thats been done?

I would suggest poly bushing, rear spacers and a rear arb next.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Neg 1.5 deg camber on the front? I wouldn't fancy that. Yeh you'll get extra bite out of the corners, but suffer elsehwere.

+1 on the excessive camber.

1.5º will help for a soft car that rolls a lot (however it will kill the tyres) - but being stiffer and lower you need less camber.

Try 0.5º camber per side and set the toe to +0º20" (max toe in within the allowed limits of +0º10" +/- 10")

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
+1 on the excessive camber.

1.5º will help for a soft car that rolls a lot (however it will kill the tyres) - but being stiffer and lower you need less camber.

Try 0.5º camber per side and set the toe to +0º20" (max toe in within the allowed limits of +0º10" +/- 10")

I'd need to check, but I'm pretty sure I run 0deg front toe. In theory, this should allow a little toe out when accelerating

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I'd need to check, but I'm pretty sure I run 0deg front toe. In theory, this should allow a little toe out when accelerating

Theory correct - but he wants to sharpen up the handling.

Slight toe IN will quicken the reaction to the steering input.

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Theory correct - but he wants to sharpen up the handling.

Slight toe IN will quicken the reaction to the steering input.

True, I just like the extra stability of a little toe out. I don't feel like its numbed the turn in any. All of this is really subjective though. Just coz me or you like something, doesn;t mean anyone else will.

Thats the advantage of trial and error

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
You dont agree with Toyos, or tyres being the single most important factor in how a car takes a corner?

I don;t agree with the Toyos. I've had them twice, and found them nothing more than mediocre.

R888s are great but I wouldn't advise them on a road car. Eagle F1s are good but give a lot of road noise. Had a few others too that range from complete pants to ok (compared to cost anyway)

Currently running vredestein ultrac sessantas and can't fault them in any area other than cost. (Well and they wont compare to R888s on track)

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
You dont agree with Toyos, or tyres being the single most important factor in how a car takes a corner?

I don't agree either !!

The nut behind the steering wheel is the single most important factor. - LMFAO

Many nuts have no idea about car control and expect the tyres to do it all.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Everyone has brand preferance, but if you spend 1200 quid on suspension mods, then use cut price federals... you have wasted your money.

Up to a point - yes I agree.

However - going too sticky is also not the best option.

The best tyre is one you are comfortable with, is forgiving and gives safe feedback.

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Everyone has brand preferance, but if you spend 1200 quid on suspension mods, then use cut price federals... you have wasted your money.

How many people on here have £1200 suspension though. Every thread I see is about people saving money.

And it might be a bad example from you but Federal SS595s are priced similar to T1rs, and I find them to be a grippier tyre, albeit they don't have the greatest life span

mazzerati

Bags are for groceries!
Jun 27, 2008
Beverley, East Yorkshire
Had eagles and toyos they are exactly the same other than the toyos are quieter. Uniroyals next maybe. Althought a place near me are charging 60 each for toyos. Yokohama paradas are pretty amazon too tbh

fozworth

Mar 6, 2009
I run with paradas 2's . Awsome dry grip and ok in the wet but I never push it in the wet anyways and the dry day grip well makes up for it . Have done 2k on them and sod all wear realy . They look hard as nails to if you love agressive looking grip sort of semi track day style with a small compromise on the realy wet days then there great. I payed 210 for 4 off eBay including delivery and another 30 to get them fitted . Bargin in my opinion.

R French

Ok,

So the tyres are currently Michelin Pilot Exalto's which are so so.
Had Goodyear GSD3's on it but I think the Ibiza's are too light for them as they gave no where near the same grip as when i had them on my Leon Cupra TDi.
Had Bridgestone Potenza somethings and were so so.
Toyo's were ok for the summer but gave brown stripes in undergarments in the winter.

So Michelin's currently - nothing sparkling - nothing bad.

Avoiding harshness of polybushes and have replaced baggy bottom arm bushes with std Cupra solid type ones. Rear axle bushes are all new as are engine mounts etc.

Like the idea of a rear ARB but should I not stiffen the front at the same time like I would with a MK2. I used to run 28mm Front 22mm rear with the rear on a stiff setting.

At the end of the day its an every day car - I just want a bit more out of it when I happen to be in the pedaling seat as it's very very numb.

Keep thinking up ideas please and thanks for those so far.

Rich

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.