Has my clutch gone?

James FR

When I am accelerating and the car hits about 2500 revs the revs climb fast and the speed does not, then if I ease off the accelerator, the revs drop back to about 2500 then if i accelerate more gently the revs go higher and so does the speed.

I first noticed this problem when the roads were a bit icy so I assumed the wheels were spinning, but now the car is still doing it.:think:

The car is a 2005 seat Ibiza FR 1.9 130 - about 55,000 miles and is due to go in to get the timing belt done.

Will this be the clutch?

Thanks in advance

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Sounds like the clutch :(:(

An old way to tell was to do the following:

Pull the handbrake full on, chock all the wheels.
Make sure no one is in front of the car. or you are not close to a wall etc.
Start the car, put clutch down. engange 3rd gear.
Set RPM to about 2000, slowly bring up the clutch.

The car should shudder, flalter then stall quickly as the clutch comes up. If you get near the top and it does not stall then its slipping. I would recommend only doing this test once and once only.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
easy way is too roll along at say 30 mph and leave it in 6th, plant your foot and see if the revs rise without the speed. if so you need a new one. But don;t go testing too much as it will shorten the life more.

Still drivable for a while but makesure you are more sympathetic, but get it done soonish as it could leave you stranded one night. whan you do change it, uprate it at the same time as the cost is'nt much different, the real cost is the labour.

James FR

Cheers for the replys - The car hasn't been remapped, not really heard of a car modern car needing a clutch at 55,000 miles, is this kinda mileage normal for the clutch on this car?.....

Anyone know what the kinda price I should be looking at for this work to be done?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Aimez

well my car is at 42k is is a 54 plate and seems okay, I kinda wish it would start to go so I won't feel like it is such a waste of a good clutch when I upgrade it.
I know it depends on the driver (we have to call it driver abuse at work) but for example my boss commutes a long way into workin a company car a 59 plate Passat and it had already done 22k don't think he would be popular if it need a clutch in another 6 months time.

Deleted member 13581

Cheers for the replys - The car hasn't been remapped, not really heard of a car modern car needing a clutch at 55,000 miles, is this kinda mileage normal for the clutch on this car?.....

Anyone know what the kinda price I should be looking at for this work to be done?

Thanks

Have you had the car from new, or has there been an owner(s) before you.

For it to go this early, theres a good chance its the way the car has been driven.

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Oh ok cheers for that ;)

I have a bad feeling that you really don’t even have to drive these cars like a nutter to kill the clutch early. The torque is so great mid range. I have found I can get wheel slip if i boot it at 40 mph on a damp flyover.

I would be interested (prob shocked) at the cost. :whistle:

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
I had my clutch replaced under warranty at 17k due to a faulty slave cylinder. At the time it was completely standard and would only slip once warm.

After completing over 50k on the new clutch it sometimes slips at 2500rpm if floored but it's remapped now. I just switch back to the standard map for a week and then it's fine for a bit

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
I had my clutch replaced under warranty at 17k due to a faulty slave cylinder. At the time it was completely standard and would only slip once warm.

After completing over 50k on the new clutch it sometimes slips at 2500rpm if floored but it's remapped now. I just switch back to the standard map for a week and then it's fine for a bit

Ok this is prob going to sound dumb :D

How do you switch back to the standard map once remapped, i did not know you could change back and forth at will. :confused:

Aimez

Revo maps you can switch it off yourself.
What does clutch slip feel like, every now and then my car doesn't like second and it feel like I have tried to change gear and missed a change or tried to do it without the clutch engaged. (someone posted up about this once and dozens of us have the same thing must be another 'quality' of the car/gearbox!).
Is it like this?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members