Has my clutch gone?

James FR

well my car is at 42k is is a 54 plate and seems okay, I kinda wish it would start to go so I won't feel like it is such a waste of a good clutch when I upgrade it.
I know it depends on the driver (we have to call it driver abuse at work) but for example my boss commutes a long way into workin a company car a 59 plate Passat and it had already done 22k don't think he would be popular if it need a clutch in another 6 months time.

Why would you change a working clutch, I have seen your link and know you are an obsesive upgrader:D

What I mean is whats the difference between the standard and the one you are going to get - I did i bit of reasearch and all I could find about upgrade clutches on this car is they are noisy as hell....:confused: and cost alot more...

James FR

Revo maps you can switch it off yourself.
What does clutch slip feel like, every now and then my car doesn't like second and it feel like I have tried to change gear and missed a change or tried to do it without the clutch engaged. (someone posted up about this once and dozens of us have the same thing must be another 'quality' of the car/gearbox!).
Is it like this?

If what I have is clutch slip - its feels like driving on ice when, ya put ya foot down the wheels are spinning, cars reving and you aint gettin there any faster... but the wheels aint spinnin and your wallet suddenly feels alot lighter

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
Ok this is prob going to sound dumb :D

How do you switch back to the standard map once remapped, i did not know you could change back and forth at will. :confused:

I have custom code which is switchable (the ecu can store up to 3 maps) with vagcom.
Other tuning shops have switchable maps as well like as mentioned Revo (which requires a plug in unit) and others

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
If what I have is clutch slip - its feels like driving on ice when, ya put ya foot down the wheels are spinning, cars reving and you aint gettin there any faster... but the wheels aint spinnin and your wallet suddenly feels alot lighter

Clutch slip is easy to tell. In 4th gear from 1500rpm or so put your foot down going up a hill. Keep an eye on the rev counter and speedo. If your clutch is slipping the revs will suddenly increase and hold at a higher rpm almost 'waiting' for the speed to increase to match the revs.

PCIronmike

No - one seems to have asked if you can smell the clutch burning , there's a distinct smell when a clutch is slipping and upon what your saying I would say "Yes" definite clutch fault , 55k miles isn't a lot but driving style and its history pre you maybe a factor . Do you rest your foot on the clutch pedal while driving ? Some people do this without being concious of it .

Aimez

Why would you change a working clutch, I have seen your link and know you are an obsesive upgrader:D

What I mean is whats the difference between the standard and the one you are going to get - I did i bit of reasearch and all I could find about upgrade clutches on this car is they are noisy as hell....:confused: and cost alot more...

How am I an obsessive upgrader?:confused: I upgraded the bushes after nearly a year of horrible noises which has now gone all other things are mods like all of us on here. I would want a upgraded clutch for a stage 2 remap stage one can eventually ruin a standard clutch stage 2 will kill it from what I have read on ere a thousand times.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members