Head unit upgrade

Craigo46

Jan 2, 2019
Hi,

I have a Leon Cupra R and it currently has a Sony CDX-GT740UI (see picture), it's a great head unit for what I use it for, nice sound, very handy display and have been more than happy with it for about 9 years.

My problem is this, I'm looking to upgrade to something with built in Bluetooth and/or .m4a file support with the same style screen. Dab, and other features would be a bonus but not a must have. I'd keep the unit I have but my phone doesn't have a headphone jack and I don't want to convert my music library over to mp3. I'm sick and tired of using Bluetooth receivers and them running out of battery constantly. I like the look of the Alpine halo9 and Sony equivalent but I don't think it would suit my car and tbh it would be wasted in my car with the features it has.

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated
c9ee842f9ee4c4d3dac6ce86008cbbd2.jpg

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
Warning, thread drift ahead........................................

I had forgotten how much I had loathed the standard head unit.
Not good when you are punching the thing in rage, as you are driving.

Replaced with a £20 Saxon thing, which does MP3's using camera SD cards. Matched the red LED's too.
Sad, I know, but it was MUCH better.
The standard speakers are not bad either. (but that's comparing them to the Mk2 Golf's "made in Tunisia" speakers. Utter gash.)

But it won't cause structural damage to buildings on the Walworth Road as you pass by. :weedy:

Reactions: Craigo46

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
Hi there. When I upgraded my radio unit, i went with Pioneer DEH5700BT:
1616327674869.png

This is old but a damn good unit. 50Wx4 Mosfet with 2preouts. 8 band Equalizer and a crystal sound. Plenty of bass on standard leon speakers. The best of all it comes with built in bluetooth. You can pair 2 smartphones (android and/or iphone) and plus 1 as guest. As soon as you switch the radio on the pairing is done. You can make the usually phone calling (by 4 speakers) with noise cancelling. It allows to ear your music by bluetooth (either music app or youtube, spotify, whatever it plays on your phone). My son can watch a film on his phone and hear it by speakers. The display has this cosmetic feature: you can change the color of the buttons and the display separately. I usually have the buttons in red and the display in white. It can make blue, pink, green, orange, purple, yellow, light blue. And if you go for the MIXTRAK function it makes a DJ playlist with nonstop random music with mixing colors on the unit. It has CD, USB and AUX in. The MIC is wired so you have to plug it on the back of the radio and run it wherever you like. I guess most modern units (after a certain price range) have it all but I really do love the Pioneer.

Attachments

• 1616327651798.png
    1616327651798.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 96

Craigo46

Jan 2, 2019
Hi there. When I upgraded my radio unit, i went with Pioneer DEH5700BT:
View attachment 22933
This is old but a damn good unit. 50Wx4 Mosfet with 2preouts. 8 band Equalizer and a crystal sound. Plenty of bass on standard leon speakers. The best of all it comes with built in bluetooth. You can pair 2 smartphones (android and/or iphone) and plus 1 as guest. As soon as you switch the radio on the pairing is done. You can make the usually phone calling (by 4 speakers) with noise cancelling. It allows to ear your music by bluetooth (either music app or youtube, spotify, whatever it plays on your phone). My son can watch a film on his phone and hear it by speakers. The display has this cosmetic feature: you can change the color of the buttons and the display separately. I usually have the buttons in red and the display in white. It can make blue, pink, green, orange, purple, yellow, light blue. And if you go for the MIXTRAK function it makes a DJ playlist with nonstop random music with mixing colors on the unit. It has CD, USB and AUX in. The MIC is wired so you have to plug it on the back of the radio and run it wherever you like. I guess most modern units (after a certain price range) have it all but I really do love the Pioneer.

See this is more what I'm looking for basically what I have now but with Bluetooth. It seems that now a days they only do the single line displays or an in car tablet style head unit, nothing in between which is a shame. But that MIXTRAK function does sound like good fun!

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
I've got a Pioneer MVH-S420BT which works well. There were a few frustrations in getting the Bluetooth to work because you have to do a couple of things not mentioned in the manual, but sorted now.

I'm planning on ditching my iPhone X and getting a 12 simply so I can get a MagSafe vent holder so I can just run everything off the phone.
Then it doesn't matter about the screen display on the head unit.

Craigo46

Jan 2, 2019
I've got a Pioneer MVH-S420BT which works well. There were a few frustrations in getting the Bluetooth to work because you have to do a couple of things not mentioned in the manual, but sorted now.

I'm planning on ditching my iPhone X and getting a 12 simply so I can get a MagSafe vent holder so I can just run everything off the phone.

I'm on Android currently so I don't know how that would differ (if much at all) to an iPhone in how the system works. But I'll have a look into your Pioneer unit

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
High powered stereos save money in the long run.
I'm so deaf now, that anything expensive & "high fidelity" (showing my age there) is wasted on me.
Besides, I can never work out all the bloody functions.

Oh, and changed the engine oil & filter. Lidl dipstick oil sucker, with wider sucker tubing, total win.

Last edited:

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex

I have the same one, it synced perfectly without any actions when i got it, now i have to scroll through the mode once over to get any sound come through. The pioneer app always popping up was soo annoying so i deleted it lol. Other than that its perfect

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
High powered stereos save money in the long run.
I'm so deaf now, that anything expensive & "high fidelity" (showing my age there) is wasted on me.
Besides, I can never work out all the bloody functions.

Oh, and changed the engine oil & filter. Lidl dipstick oil sucker, with wider sucker tubing, total win.
Careful with those, gokiwi used one and it didnt drain out fully, ended up overfilling an spraying oil all his bay lol

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
Careful with those, gokiwi used one and it didnt drain out fully, ended up overfilling an spraying oil all his bay lol
Me, being diesel, that might not end well.
Passed a poor bloke the other day stood in a huge cloud of evil grey smoke, with the ignition keys in his hand. as his Ford Transit's engine was very, VERY busy destroying itself.
Runaways are not fun, unless, you are watching someone else's!

• Haha
Reactions: Rich.T
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.