Headlight bulbs change to LED

opher50

Dec 16, 2016
Hello,

I've recently bought a Mk3 Leon and I love it.
Only aesthetic issue for me is the yellow headlights and I was wondering if it is just possible to switch bulbs to LED or either white light bulbs..

Is there a possibility simply switching without causing errors?

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

slamka33

Dec 6, 2014
I am not sure if LED bulbs are suitable for use in main headlights.

Normal bulb produces light "everywhere around" and mirrors (parabola) are main players of aiming light to the front.
LED bulbs are different - they have many light sources with some "black spaces" and LED emits light more focused as normal bulbs also. So could happen that some areas of mirrors in parabola are not hit by the light and therefore you should have some "black areas" in front of you.
I have never tested it, but this is fact I would afraid of.
I am just not sure if you will be happy with LED bulb instead of halogen bulb in main classic headlight. Maybe you can find LED bulb with better light distribution and then you can forget this problem.

To use LED bulbs instead of turning lights, parking lights, daily lights, that is ok, no problem. But to use them in main headlight with parabola, I am not sure.

If I were you, I would buy some classics - Osram Silverstar for example. Very good bright color of light, you will notice it and will be happy.
Avoid "blue" colored bulbs, they are not good in rainy conditions.

opher50

Dec 16, 2016
As a matter of fact I don't even care whether they're LED or not.. Just wish the light would be white, much more pretty than this yellow oem.. Are those osram simply white halogen bulbs?

Thanks for your informative answer :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

slamka33

Dec 6, 2014
Osram Silverstar are for me the best halogen bulbs for a car.
Best beam of really reasonable white light, best visibility during night.
Osram Silverstar are even a bit whiter as stock/common white bulbs.
I had them several years on my previous car and never changed them to any other brand, so happy I was with them..

And by the way, even LED headlights works on the same principle I mentioned above - mirrors are reflecting beam of light to the front. The difference is that LED headlights have mirrors adjusted for LED beam (focused beam, so mirror is differently shaped) and halogen parabola is adjusted for halogen beam (light everywhere).

slamka33

Dec 6, 2014
Hmm, but their beam is designed for FOG lights.

/update: Uff, I did not check the price at ebay. A bit costy?!

Last edited:

Architect.jawad

Feb 2, 2017
Hey guys
I just installed LED lights on my 2011 leon cupra and the headlight warning is on ....
it says check right and left side headlights ...
and one more thing .. when the key is in the second position before staring , all the headlights flash multiple times then stops ...
anything to worry about ?
Thankss in advance

slamka33

Dec 6, 2014
Ah, I missed 2011.. :) so wrong forum.. :)

But, Architect, did you bought "canbus" LED?

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Hey guys
I just installed LED lights on my 2011 leon cupra and the headlight warning is on ....
it says check right and left side headlights ...
and one more thing .. when the key is in the second position before staring , all the headlights flash multiple times then stops ...
anything to worry about ?
Thankss in advance

the flashing is the bulb check function.

Architect.jawad

Feb 2, 2017
Oh yeah its the canbus LED
Just wanted to know if the warning light on the dashboard is normal or something to worry about ?
And then if in the near future the warning will go and the car would accept the after market LEDs ?
Or if there is a way to make it go as it annoys me to stay there ?!
Thanks and sorry for posting here :p newbies issues

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise