Headlight Washers

Bigfoot

Jan 27, 2008
Doncaster
Can any one tell me how the head light washers workI.E.
Are they on an electric motor & seperate fuse than the windscreens?
Are they linked by the windscreen motor?
They stopped working in the cold weather but there not frozen now.

Raider

Cupra K1
Jan 12, 2003
Sheffield
Visit site
I've got exactly the same issue. I noticed that they had frozen and stuck out a little during the really cold weather but now it's warmed up and they've gone back in, they don't work at all. Windscreen and rear screen washers are working fine.

I've got no idea whether it could be a disconnected/split hose, a blown fuse or bust pump. It's gonna have to be a trip to the dealers I think.

Raider

Cupra K1
Jan 12, 2003
Sheffield
Visit site
Thanks, hopefully get the chance to have a look at the weekend before I give in and take it to the dealers. That's if we don't get another foot of snow.......

Sep 5, 2009
Midlands
Noticed mine weren't working today, so checked the fuse and the 20amp fuse for them had blown. I've replaced it and still no joy, totally emptied the reservoir trying it and refilled so won't be low water or anything like that, any ideas if theres a relay or something, all the other fuses in the end panel and the one's next to the battery are okay.:shrug:

Apr 15, 2009
Wolverhampton
If there heated there crap, I have winter pack and they still wasn't flush in the bad weather they still froze, im guessing it may have just water in the bottle. I noticed the other day the headlight washers on the Leon are the same has the new TT. Stupid design tho. Best thing is take it to the dealer. Saves messing about trying to sort it you self.

Sep 5, 2009
Midlands
A scan with VCDS brought this up

1 Fault Found:
00924 - Relay for Headlamp Cleaning System (J39)
009 - Open or Short to Ground
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101001
Fault Priority: 4
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 95
Mileage: 81049 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2005.09.13
Time: 31:63:63
Freeze Frame:
ON
Voltage: 14.20 V
ON
ON
OFF
OFF
OFF

Looking at golf gti forums they have exactly the same fault code but a replacement fuse sorts it out and without it being a relay issue, but a new fuse ain't solved it on mine and this code doesn't want to clear it comes straight back. I'm reluctant to take it to the stealers but I bet the washers have to work for MOT.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Fuse 36 is the one that will blow if they become frozen.

As said it's high pressure that popps them up, when they are fully up the nozzle is exposed and the high pressure then escapes through the small pin hole.

Some warm water will melt any ice or remove any bug splat that is stopping them retract.