Heater on hot all the time - WTF?

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Hi, i was driving my leon on a long journey last night and the heater was on boiling hot when on LOW, HIGH or anything inbetween. Anyone got any ideas why this happens or what causes the problem? After i got back in the car after 4 hours all was fine again - WTF?
Adam

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
really for the interior heater? its only 4 years old although it does have 60k on the clock. It started with cooling air this morning although i will check once warm as a stat once it stops working will stay not working surely?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Guessing: if Climatronic then cabin air temperature sensor. Otherwise jammed or faulty temperature flap. Temperature control is by diverting some air over the heater matrix, which is always hot.

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
cheers guys. Muttley do you know how that flap is controlled as scanning through threads on here and ukmkivs i heard it mentioned before. i will try scanning it with a hand held tester but not sure if it will be listed or not

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
turbo009: The use of "Thermostat" in connection with car heating/cooling systems usually makes people think of the thermostat in the engine block. None of the cabin heating control elements is usually called a thermostat.

The thermostat in the engine block isn't likely to cause the cabin heater to deliver hot air when set for cold. The usual cabin heating fault associated with the engine thermostat is a lack of hot air, caused by a stuck-open 'stat and slow coolant warmup.

vwbasset: You haven't said if you have Climatronic or not. With Climate Control the temperature control flap is motorised. The servomotor is controlled by the Climaronic unit, packeged behind the screen and buttons in the central dash.

With manual temperature control, the flap is worked by the rotary temperature control on the fascia, through a Bowden cable.

Last edited:

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Hi yeah it is the climatronic crap - would have been much happier with dials as all the fiddling with buttons takes your eyes off the road. Its not been staying hot the last two days which is good but id like to sort it out as problems like this always reappear when you dont want them too.

Hobbiniho - i had a look at that audi tech thing - my god what am i looking for lol

tomek113

London
Feb 9, 2009
London
Hi yeah it is the climatronic crap - would have been much happier with dials as all the fiddling with buttons takes your eyes off the road. Its not been staying hot the last two days which is good but id like to sort it out as problems like this always reappear when you dont want them too.

Hobbiniho - i had a look at that audi tech thing - my god what am i looking for lol

I have the same thing, when the day is cold I want it to blow warm air so it does at the beginning, but after like 15-20min it becomes hot and stay this way even when I drop the temp to 18. What is wrong with it?? anyone?? It is really annoying as during a trip I have to swich it off and open the windows to avoid fogging up. Can not even force it to blow cold air. The funny thing is when I switch the car off wait like 1h then it will blow cold air then but if I only ask it to blow hot air then it will be again just hot hot hot. [:@] help as winter is comming and I need warm cabin not boilng hot. The Car is tdi 130 climatronic. Thanks in advance.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Temperature control is entirely in the hands of the climatronic unit. It should be putting up a fault code which will indicate what is wrong; it could be one of several things. VAG-com ahould be able to read the codes.

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
I left mine and i put it down to a one off of the hot air and cold air splitter becomming jammed. I have not had the problem since if i go between temparatures slowly rather than from clicking low to high really quick. No fault codes have appeared either.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.