Heatshield under handbrake rattle...

Hey folks,

Since my Blueflame Turboback was fitted a couple of weeks ago, I get the most annoying rattling ever when idle, driving etc, it sounds crap like a cheapo car, so I need to sort it out.

When it was in for it's MOT last week I went under the car with the guy and asked, and he showed me the heatshield above the sports cat was loose, and said to get nuts and tighten it up.

So today my local mechanic did it for me, but it's pretty much made no difference, he didn't charge me either (prob didnt do it in that case lol) but im just wondering what you've all done to stop that rattle.

Is removing the heatshield a viable option? Or just bang it with a hammer til it shuts up?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
it's probably rusted, and is dropped onto it.

try to reshape it to fix it if possible... hammer & drift :)

NorcyUK

i've got the same problem... my brother said that my cat was rattling against the heat shield so as a temporary fix he just cable tied a chuck on rubber to the cat, it lasted a few weeks but its finally come back and its the most irritating noise my car could make

gazcuprablk

my 300+ death box :)
Mar 31, 2006
south wales
mine started rattling when i changed my gearshifter to a b&m item i just fixed it back up on the old points where it broke from, just get some big washers and 8mm nuts and just thread it on the heat sheild mountin points its easy 2 do jus need 2 get it up on the ramp

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
You can, but the excess heat might melt / damage the gear linkage cables.

I removed it on my 16v, but not on a 20VT - they get much hotter

Ah ok probably best keep it on then... Is the heatshield under the handbrake attached to the car of the exhaust? I've recently had fitted a Milltek downpipe / sports cat and it had no heatshield, should I get this sorted to stop things melting?

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
It's the one attached to the car, aftermarket ones don't have the heatshield on as far as I know.

It's like an arched bit of metal, might try using some self tappers as RJ said above.

Ah right I know what you mean now, reading this had me worried for a bit!! Just be careful with the self tappers not to go in too much or through anything. Hope you get it sorted..

It''s finding one I trust mate, the local one who fitted the exhaust did a good job of fitting it and supposedly fixed the heatshield rattle the other day, but clearly didnt, but didnt charge anyway, so I don't want to go back there.

My only real options are at a weekend, and that leaves places like Kwik Fit who will either refuse to do it, or rip me off!

jamieread

Oct 14, 2007
I was having the same prob with my heatshield when my blueflame was first fitted. I have just bolted it back up and it has stopped now. Only prob i have now is when it gets hot the centre silencer bangs against the heatshield.

Also my linkages have melted as i can see the rubber has been dripping down on my heatshield. Will this be ok?

Just to update - I took this to my local STS garage today;

Had a look under the car with the mechanic... Was nice to see the previous mechanic HADN'T even done so much as tighten a bolt...joker considering its my local garage i'd usually go to... It was loose as you like.

So he said to leave him to it, 15 mins later, he said he'd tightened up the existing nuts/bolts, and used cable ties in other parts, and some glue!
Wasnt sure how long it would stay secured he said, but didn't charge me anything which was a nice surprise considering what most garages are like these days.

It has completely sorted the noise/rattle as well...

If the ties break in future i'll just get some metal ones fitted.

I asked him would it be possible to weld the heatshield to the underside of the car, he said not as the metal is too thin.