help gearlinkage cable snapped

envycordoba

Jan 25, 2008
bournemouth
hi my gearlinkage cable has snapped at the gear box end so need a new 1. its on my abf how do i change it as never done 1 before its the bottom cable of the 2. can any1 help

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
i think you can swop the cables, but ive never done it. plently of cable shift set ups appearing on ebay from golfs ect.

vngtx

if its like them, just get a spanner and pop them off the linkage. then just feed them through the holders (remove any clips and dont lose em) to the same for the other end on the gear lever.

envycordoba

Jan 25, 2008
bournemouth
yeah mate like that. i've noticed the gear box end they are held on by 13mm nut i guess i got to get under car gear stick end as got centre consol off but still cant get to the,

vngtx

im unfamiliar with the abf, not sure if it uses same gearbox as the 8v. if its those type of cable the just pop off the linkage, dont need to undo anything.

envycordoba

Jan 25, 2008
bournemouth
not yet going to tomoz mate been told i gotta take all centre consol out etc but every where seems to only sell both cables with shifter box but i only need the 1 cable ;)

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
drop exhaust down, take off heat shield in tunnel, then undo 4 x 13mm bolts ( or 10mm's cant remember )

then the unit lowers down, remembering to take off the gear knob/gaitor. also assuming youve undone the linkage at the gearbox shift tower and undo the bracket on the gearbox.

envycordoba

Jan 25, 2008
bournemouth
got it off today what a fiddly job any way 1 broken gear rod
P220210_1237.jpg

the snapped end at gear box
P220210_1238.jpg

Last edited:

vngtx

i have no heatshields on my car at all anymore, just gets a little warmer inside the car on long journeys, shouldnt do any harm.

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
The long term effect of having no heat sheild stopping heat getting to your shift cables will be a very stiff gearchange.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.