Help me choose which Altea, petrol or diesel?

Yogi_bear

Hello

I hope you guy’s and girls can help me chose.

I am considering buying a Altea FSI but do not know which engine is best as still want something with a little go. I am looking at the 2.0 litre petrol or 2.0 litre Diesel which is best, Is there any engine troubles with them that I should look out for ?????

I am currently driving a V6 GSI Vectra and the performance is GREAT, and the fuel economy is around 29-34 mpg

The Altea FSi 2.0 petrol has 34 mpg quoted in press release, is this right?? Is there anyone who has a 2.0 litre Altea, and has better mpg than this?

Is there anything I should look out for when buying a Altea, Like faults, thing that go wrong, spare wheel missing etc etc.

Any help would be much appreciated
Thank You :clap:

hanxslf

Hi,
I'm running an ALTEA 2.0 TDI Sport, With a DSG gearbox and I'm currently getting around 43-47 MPG running on shell diesel fuel, i find it does better mpg on this by around 2-4 mpg over your cheap supermarket stuff. on a good day when the weather is warm and sunny i have had it up to 52 mpg
The ALTEA has plenty of grunt for a 2 litre with 140-bhp.
I went for the diesel for the economy It's equal on fuel consumption to my previous car a punto sporting 1.2 16 valve. Having never driven a petrol version of the ALTEA so i can't comment on it's performance or mpg. no doubt other members will have their say

check the bottom if the windscreen for water getting into windscreen lamination, also uneven tyre ware, and the usual electrics

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the 2005 2.0ltr TDI Sport also though manual and its remapped. still get 45-55mpg everyday!

The spare wheel was an optional extra at one time. I personally got one last week off fleebay though they are hard to get for a good cheap price, it gives you piece of mind when the tired gets shredded.

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Had a 1.6 hire car several years ago, now have mapped 2.0 TDI - NO comparison.
Yogi if you get it mapped it would leave your Vectra for dead. Although I suspect comfort levels aren't as good as the vectra.

robint

Apr 12, 2006
UK, Essex
2.0 FSI Sport tiptronic mpg

Have 2.0FSI Sport Titronic (quite a rare beast) - get 38mpg at a steady 70 on the motorway, drops to 33 at a steady 80 and get 32-33 overall with mixture of very short hops and longer runs. Auto box is 6speed and very smooth.

Quick enough to confuse people and as with all Alteas handles great, particularly with the Tiptronic in 'S' setting.

Only engine problems so far (40k) was early one with coil packs - a regular feature on VW group petrol vehicles at that time (2005/6).

Westfaliaman

Hi,have 2.0tdi Sport 140 bhp,6 speed manual,returns an average of 44 mpg,very quick car,have had it 18 mths from new and not as much as a light bulb has gone wrong.Can't fault it on any front .
Cheers,
Sam

truant2000

Oct 24, 2008
Hi,

I have got the 2.0 TFSi FR with 6speed DSG box and I'm lucky on a run if I hit 34mpg for more than a couple of minutes before it drops and this is after a remap, before I was lucky to get 32mpg, saying that I mainly drive a combo of dual carigeway and town so I haven't done a long run yet but I'm going from cardiff to manchester on the 16th so I'll see what we get then.

As for wanting something with a little go in it you won't find much of this size with the kind of go it has, It is very quick. I guess this is what you have to way up, do you want more speed and less mpg or more mpg and less speed, even though the diesels are pretty quick these days the petrol still has an edge.

hope this gives you some more insight or might just add more confusion.

FR+TDI

Jul 8, 2007
Carmarthenshire, Wales.
VW PD diesels are noisy b'stards, that is the only one real criticism I have with my Alt 2.0 140. BUT, the torque is great - much better than an n/a petrol - turbo petrol is the best I suppose but then economy isnt great but if you've had a V6 Vectra then you are used to sub 30 mpg i would think yeah? New Altea has got the common rail 170 diesel shortly, supposed to be far quiter.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise