Help needed to choose new Ibiza

kidster

Hi all

First proper newbie post, so please go gently!

I am looking at a new Ibiza 5 door. The recent Toca deal drew me in but obviously 'all sold out' in the words of you local dealer.

Anyhow, I am looking to buy to keep for 7+ years so a reliable and enjoyable car is a must ; plan to put down a reasonable deposit, 2 yrs payments and then can make a final £5k Max payment. I plan to sell my current polo privately so no part ex issues.

Need petrol as mileage will not exceed 12k a year. Manual, not auto or DSG.

So, here is where I would appreciate your help, which one?

1.4 Toca - much cheaper to buy and good accessories but higher road tax, fuel consumption and a apparently an older belt driven engine

Or

1.2 fr - good newer chain driven engine , cheap road tax, lower fuel costs and a sporty ride/ feel but more expensive and at the limits of what I can afford.

I have yet to test drive these, but will do soon. I know I can bargain hard as I come from a retailer background, but I am a bit unsure of how low a main dealer would go on a new deal. I will get an extended warrenty and service package too.

My head says Toca but my heart says fr.

What do you guys think? Which one and how hard a deal do you think I could sensibly drive?

Thanks all

Kidster

Last edited by a moderator:

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
1.2 TSI if you can afford, much nicer engine and more future proof. The 1.4 is just mediocre and based on a design nearly 20 years old.

Sam_FR

How about the new 1.4 TSI ACT engine looks amazing and low running costs

Jakeybown

I have got a 3 door toca and I can honestly say it is a great little car to drive, and the deals you can get on them are decent too ! Personal preference I suppose.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
1.2 TSi is the better engine overall, but more complex and could prove more costly at 7 years. Is slightly more economical and lower RFL. 1.4 is not bad though, and adequate for the size of car. On a steady run I can see 48-50mpg and around town high thirties early forties mpg wise on my 1.4 Polo Match. Being an N/A engine, there is less to go wrong, as always get a good test drive in both. I am sure you will find a dealer willing to do a cheap deal on a Toca. Worth looking at Drivethedeal.com as well.

kidster

Thanks all, great advice.

I am leaning towards a nearly new FR and in conversation with the local dealer.

Will let you know the outcome.

Cheers

Kidster

thirl88

Just want to say I was in exactly this same situation - in my case wanting a new Ibiza in exchange for a 2011 mk5 Ibiza Chill 1.4.

I test drove the Toca 1.4 and felt like I was still sitting in my own car! This says several things. The Toca hasn't changed at all while my own car is actually still as good as new! I was left thinking I should just MOT it and not get a new one.

But then I test drove the 1.2 fr and I loved it instantly. Looks exactly like my current car (on the inside) but it is definitely much better than the 1.4 to drive.

I'm not a "boy racer" by any means but the whole feel and handling of the 1.2 fr against the 1.4 Toca and my own 1.4 Chill was much better. My 1.4 Chill has quite a good turn of speed (possibly better than the Toca 1.4) but the 1.2 fr blew me away. Getting away from roundabouts and traffic lights felt so much better and you feel the turbo most in those situations (well, I did). Cornering was fantastic (though my current car is good there too).
Felt good at high speed on the A1(AM) and seemed quieter than the Toca and my Chill but of course it's hard to judge that properly in a short test drive.

Also, in my case, all the 1.4 Tocas I'd seen had no Cruise Control or Climate Control and some dealers even said these cannot be ordered or added later on a Toca. The 1.2 fr has both Cruise and Climate and this was as big a clincher as anything as I've been used to both for many years.

The downside... the 1.2 fr costs over £2,000 more than the 1.4 !!!! And Insurance is more. I doubt these will be equalled out by lower fuel consumption and lower tax unless you keep the car a very long time but I still went for the 1.2 fr. And if you can get it closer to the Toca price you definitely won't regret paying that bit extra. But you probably wouldn't regret the Toca either... or a 3 year old Chill !!!!!

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Cant comment on the 1.2 i'm afraid.

We have a Black Edition 1.4 Sport (just see it my avatar). Had it from new and its done around 24k now. Although its not going to blow you away for 90% of the time the 85 horses are all you need. Have had the g/f and her 2 sons in the car and it does feel notibly slower, but when its just me or 2 of us its great. Its a pretty straightforward engine and had been said its tried and tested, we haven't had any issues in 3 years or so, i really like driving it.

Averages high 30's mpg around town but have seen upto 49 on a sedate run.

With the Ibiza in general the only very minor issues worth looking out for IMO are poor FM radio reception, sticking exterior door handles (they stay out occasionally if not lubbed, so the door wont shut) and on 17" the ride is even stiffer than my FR :D

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.