Help: New Ibiza FR TDI 130 - Excessive Black Smoke

TurboTrev

Just under two weeks ago (Friday the week before last), my wife bought a brand new Ibiza FR TDI 130. Two days later, on the Sunday, with about 180 miles on the clock, she pulled into the side of the road to let a driver who seemed to be following her get past. Well the person was following her, he leapt out and said car was smoking really badly and it looked new, he thought he better tell her. On her return home I checked it out and it certainly was smoking (black) far more than it should have been. Car returned to dealer on the Tuesday. They rang up on Wednesday and said all was now fine, so I set off to collect it (dealership 20 miles away). Got there, asked what they had done and they said an oil and filter change has cured it. I said that would be unlikely and could someone drive it in front of me so I could check. Needless to say, problem was still there and a wasted 40 mile round trip. Rang them Friday, still no progress in solving it (working with Seat technical). Rang them Monday, they said they'd tracked down the problem - a turbo bolt was cross threaded, turbo wasn't seating properly and air was getting in causing overfueling and new studs had been ordered. Spoke to them tonight (Thursday) and the studs have been fitted, turbo reseated but the problem was still there. They said that Technical were now advising them to replace a small black box (?) in the engine (not ecu) and part was ordered and they would do this tomorrow. So tomorrow the car will be 2 weeks old and we have only had it for a total of 4 days.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? Assuming the next repair doesn't work what should we do - can my wife reject it?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Trev.

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
the small black box is the vacuum control unit on the drivers side suspension turret ,

@ shaun

you need a faster connection

Last edited:

maxcars1

Nov 9, 2004
TurboTrev said:
They said that Technical were now advising them to replace a small black box (?) in the engine (not ecu) and part was ordered and they would do this tomorrow.
Cheers, Trev.

Sounds like they may be changing the Vacume Solinoid box that sits on the drivers strut perhaps. IIRC this controls boost and EGR to.

gazjones

could also be the egr valve. this is only going on what ive seen but spanny and fez boys allards conversions have no longer got the egr, and they smoke for fun. i think this could be due to the egr, and if the new ibiza fr tdi is smoking the valve maybe faulty! just another thought!

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
Just reject it, get another one and let someone else worry about what it is. May just be one of Pedro's amazing friday lemons that seem to pass through QC at the seat factory.

TurboTrev

Thanks for your replies. Smoke appears when engine is under load i.e. going up hills, it also bellows out on any gear change. It's not noticeable when cruising, but as soon as you accelerate it comes back. As mentioned the smoke is black, like it's over fuelling? If the latest repair doesn't work, do I have grounds for rejection? Has anyone successfully done that, for any reason? If so what's the best way of doing it?

Cheers, guys.

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
this might be a load of crap what i am about to say...

1) y not try vagcom will this not show what the ecu is going as it could be a fault map...

2) remap it with revo as they rewrite over the top with a new code (if problem is step one)

3) send it back. ask for a new one.

its one of those things... like my car with faulty flicking lights... they hadnt put the nut on the earth properly...

Smee

gazjones

if its under load at low rpm it will smoke as the turbo is not fully spooled up so not enough air to go with the fuel so it will come out black all tdi's smoke when you boot it

Triple D

gazjones said:
could also be the egr valve. this is only going on what ive seen but spanny and fez boys allards conversions have no longer got the egr, and they smoke for fun. i think this could be due to the egr, and if the new ibiza fr tdi is smoking the valve maybe faulty! just another thought!
Mine doesnt smoke any more now i use decent fuel ;) just a little puff when you change up the gears.

TurboTrev

Update - been to the dealers this pm and after checking 2 more facelifted FRs, one 3 months old (5,500 miles) and one brand new (5 miles) plated up 56 for September delivery, they were all exactly the same as mine. Interestingly, a 2nd hand 55 plate, pre facelift, blew out a bit of smoke, more like what you would expect. Although I couldn't confirm it definitely, I think they all had BP petrol in them (as has mine - still on 1st tank), so I'm going to use the last bit up tomorrow, then fill up with Shell and see what happens. I'll let you know.

Cheers, Trev.

Triple D

I use texaco at the min and is much better than the tesco stuff i used to have

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
i've got my egr disabled sadn race pie on order so much smoother acc
elaration.

if you notice car smoking more than usually and a slight whistle check all intercooler pipe the clips they use are shoddy after fitting new "rally" clips and changing to a few silicone hoses my smoke level has drop to hardly anything
(can't see any from rear view). it's a 1hr and 35 pound job and worth it!

the problem i see about boost leaks i.e if a turbo's not seated properly, hose loose, is

under load/boost it is chucking out air, but when under 2000rpm is it sucking dirty air in

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members