Help please - Broken aerial :( base removal?

gav_FR

Loud pipes save lives!
I tried removing my beesting aerial to put the standard one back in because the radio reception was pants, but the screw on the aerial was rusted and stuck in to the aerial base. So I grabbed it with some mole grips but the sodding thing snapped leaving the screw in the base - bugger :(

You can see the snapped screw piece in this pic:

DSC00337.jpg

So I'm going to have to try and drill it out, although if it was rusted in so much that it snapped with mole grips I don't think it's going to come out very easily so it could need a new base. Does anyone know how much a new base would cost?

Also, I've had a search around the forum and came across a thread saying that the base can be removed by dropping the roof lining and unscrewing a nut. Someone said that you can access it by just dropping the piece of plastic trim off around the top of the boot aperture, i.e. this piece:

DSC00344_2.jpg

Now the question I have is does anyone know how to get this off? I've tried pulling it from the edges and from the boot side with no luck, the thing is I don't want to break any clips that are holding it on. I can pull it away enough to see some big chunky clips holding it on but don't know if there is a special knack to getting them off?

You can see the one of the clips in this photo:

DSC00348.jpg

munkimafia

May 20, 2008
Sorry to bump this, but Im wondering the same thing. I need to get at my aerial as I've lost all reception, I'm guessing something has come loose. Do you literally just yank this trim off? It seems like it's never going to come away, and I don't want to snap anything!
Cheers for any help given!

Engimaneer

The Anti-Sheep
Dec 22, 2010
Hants/Dorset
www.seatcupra.net
To remove that piece of trim, you literally pull it off.
However the plastic can start to crack where the metal clips are located.

I used a screwdriver as a pry bar wedged between the bodywork and the metal clips, be careful as this can cause dents/scratches.

ALSO, I had to take my side pillars off to drop the headlining enough to get my hand in without deforming the headlining.

Did this last week when I replaced my antenna.

munkimafia

May 20, 2008
Thanks Engimaneer!

Its one of those things that you think cant possibly be right when you try it cos its ssolid!

Engimaneer

The Anti-Sheep
Dec 22, 2010
Hants/Dorset
www.seatcupra.net
The leon is full of those silly metal clips!
My Golf has lots of plastic ones, so they break and you just replace them....the leon set up means that the trim gets damaged instead of the clips.

Also as a note, if the trim does break and leaves the clip in the bodywork, a pair of long nosed pliers slid between the flanges of the clip and the car body will allow you to pull it out.

munkimafia

May 20, 2008
Awesome, thanks mate.
I expect it will be damp, everything else has been! Spent most if the day resealing the doors after lake Windermere appeared in the back...

PSX

Sep 20, 2009
Engimaneer - great post and photos, I also replaced mine a few weeks back but never got around to doing a write-up! I'd add the following though:

• Do use heavy duty plastic trim pry tools (on ebay for £10 or so) to help you get leverage as close to the clips as possible without damaging the trim.
  • There are 5 clips - working from inside the car, pull the panel down at the left hand edge first and free the first two clips
  • ..now the whole panel will slide to one side, leaving the metal clips in the roof.
  • Do remove the side quarter trims - peel back the rubber seal to help free it and there are plastic locking nuts - this will allow more working space above headlining.
  • The nut for the aerial base is large - about 23mm! I had to go and buy a new spanner at short notice..
  • When refitting the trim, simply pull the metal clips out of the roof with pliers, re-shape them so they will fit snugly when pushed back, then slot them into the plastic. A swift upward palm under each of the five will knock them back in - no rattles for me so far..

Hope this helps,

Alex

p.s. replacing the aerial did nothing for my reception troubles.. looks like I need to get the aftermarket booster at the head unit end wired up to switched live...
p.p.s. - didn't notice condensation while I was doing the work - would hope that this just appeared due to the seal from your old antenna being knacked..

Last edited:

munkimafia

May 20, 2008
Thanks for the advice too PSX. Got Friday afternoon off to give it a go along with washing the winter crud off!