*HELP PLEASE* car starts and then immediately cuts out

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
thanks for looking at my thread.
my car is playing up again... i turn the key and the engine starts as normal but then cuts out immediately. it has done it for a good while now with occasionally the thing starts and runs as normal. but today it doesnt seem to want to run, so im putting in this thread.
if anyone has any idea what it is i would be much appreciative if you could post.
many thanks

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
u got a spare key ? try it with that see if it still does the same

sounds like the immobiliser chip/system is duff

easy way - just needs recoding

hard way - either the chip/reader coil (round barrel) or immob ecu is fooked

dont panic its usually the easy way

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
remote locking ?

if so - take the remote (button part) out and check the chip is still in there ? :)

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
no its a 1.4s so no remote locking alarm, (apart from an aftermarket one) but it did it for ages before i fitted that. ive had a mechanic round who doesnt love my car because its modified so he just threw a 'i dont know what it is' at it and told me to go see an auto electrician, but being a student auto electricians arent the cheapest thing.
cheers

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
weird. I didn't think they had immo's as std until facelift.

maybe on the GTi's...

Don't take it the wrong way - but are you sure it's not aftermarket....

But have you considered faults like fuel pump/relay

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Does the fuel pump still flow? have to disconnect it at the filter, get a catch tank ready & turn the key

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
ibiza_95 said:
thanks for looking at my thread.
my car is playing up again... i turn the key and the engine starts as normal but then cuts out immediately. it has done it for a good while now with occasionally the thing starts and runs as normal. but today it doesnt seem to want to run, so im putting in this thread.
if anyone has any idea what it is i would be much appreciative if you could post.
many thanks

Check the wiring to the two oil pressure sensors, if they are sound check out the oil sensors they allow the engine to run for around 8secs. or the imobilizer system :whistle:

Last edited:

dontnoanything

dontnoanything
Jul 19, 2005
gondor
get some one with a diag machine to check it. it could be the throttle body or it could be the imbobilizer. the imbobilizer is under the the same panel as the obd port under the steering wheel but its straight up with 2 10mm holding it try cleaning the 2 conecters going to it. or clean the throttle body and reset it

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members