Help with coolant

chroniclesofcf

Mar 3, 2022
Paisley, Renfrewshire.
Cars been warning me about coolant on and off for awhile. Was in for a service 3 weeks ago and I can only assume they did what I did before and just topped it up with distilled water or something.

I want to completely empty and flush the coolant and fill it again.

what coolant would you guys recommend? I have the 1.4 TSI 2018. I've heard G13 been mentioned but also G12 Evo?

Is this mixed with water or used neat? How much would I have to buy.

appreciate any help 😊

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@chroniclesofcf - How often are you getting a low coolant warning and needing to top up? Normally, the need to top up indicates a coolant leak, so in your position I’d be investigating the cause of the drop in coolant level and fix that before doing a flush and refill of the cooling system.

Reactions: Lozzy15

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd stick with VW Group offering which is premixed G12evo, I bought a Draper Coolant Vacuum Refill Kit when I replaced the coolant, G12+ on my S4.

Though as said, really do find the source of the coolant loss before replacing the coolant.

As to quantity, as a safe guess I'd say 8 litres though I'd think that in reality the system capacity would be closer to 6.5 litres, I plan on doing this job on my wife's 2015 Polo 1.2TSI soon as I have enough G12evo left over from when I replaced the coolant in my S4, and I want to check and replace the HP fuel rail securing bolts as they are an "item of interest" on most if not all EA211 family of engines!!

Edit:- my logic is, if G13 is bad enough to worry VW Group into dropping it and moving onto G12evo - some cars needed an annoying Silicate dosing system fitting to them at factory to get used along with G13, then I'd be giving G13 versions of coolant a body swerve. Aftermarket do seen very slow to work their way through G13 and so move onto G12evo, which was why, in UK at least, the cheapest and only option is to buy from VW Group outlets.

I have been monitoring the PH values of the G12 in my 2011 Audi S4 and the G13 in my wife's 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS, and all I can say is, the PH value was heading towards "acidic" a lot sooner for the G13 in that Polo than the G12 in the S4, at 11 years old and a slight coolant leak to sort out, I was quite happy to replace that G12 for G12evo, and then later this year have an excuse to replace the G13 a lot sooner in that VW Polo 1.2TSI, I could be completely wrong here, but I'm quite happy spending the money and staying safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lozzy15

chroniclesofcf

Mar 3, 2022
Paisley, Renfrewshire.
Stick your reg in here and see what it says:

I've heard horrible things about G13 though 👀 I know it's no performance car I have, but it's still mine and I'd still like to look after her. I'm sure you know yourself.

chroniclesofcf

Mar 3, 2022
Paisley, Renfrewshire.
@chroniclesofcf - How often are you getting a low coolant warning and needing to top up? Normally, the need to top up indicates a coolant leak, so in your position I’d be investigating the cause of the drop in coolant level and fix that before doing a flush and refill of the cooling system.
First time was about 3 months ago. Checked levels, checked temps, everything seemed fine. Happened again a few weeks later, and decided to top it up to the brim with distilled water as I had no idea what was already in it from the garage I bought it off.

Latest happened day before yesterday, level still seems fine when I open it, but the stuff is clear now. Seems like the whole system is just water. Temps are still perfectly fine. Doesn't seem ye be any leaks at all?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
When you say that you are "brimming it", that is not a good idea, you must leave space for expansion so only fill it up to mid way between the MAX and MIN, I have air trapped in the charge heat exchangers in my 2011 S4, these heat exchangers are situated at the highest point on the power unit, I need to jack up the rear of that car, pressurise the coolant system slightly and slightly open the 2 venting plugs. The biggest effect that trapped air is having is to make the hot coolant level be a lot higher than usual when there is no trapped air, that confused me at first as I thought that after replacing the coolant, the cooling system was self purging and so when the engine was cold, the coolant level was below MIN, what I had not realised at first was, that I was topping the coolant up to the MAX point and with trapped air in the heat exchangers, the coolant level, when the engine was hot, was causing coolant to be dumped out the top of the reservoir.

I could be that your cooling system has a failure of one of the thermostats of electric pump if it has one, and that has been causing coolant to expand more than usual in certain sections of the cooling system, now if that has happened, it could be that you also now have trapped air in some sections of your cooling system that are not able to to self purge and so, a bit like my S4 are causing coolant to be dumped out of the system when the engine is hot, you would really need to check coolant temperatures and flows at a few points in the coolant system - if there is no obvious leaks out of the cooling system.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
First time was about 3 months ago. Checked levels, checked temps, everything seemed fine. Happened again a few weeks later, and decided to top it up to the brim with distilled water as I had no idea what was already in it from the garage I bought it off.

Latest happened day before yesterday, level still seems fine when I open it, but the stuff is clear now. Seems like the whole system is just water. Temps are still perfectly fine. Doesn't seem ye be any leaks at all?
Any coolant around your thermostat housing on the RH side of the engine bay?

As mentioned - I hope when you say - "filled to the brim" you mean to the MAX level on the tank - and NOT to the cap neck??

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
I've heard horrible things about G13 though 👀 I know it's no performance car I have, but it's still mine and I'd still like to look after her. I'm sure you know yourself.

No idea if it's any good or not. I just buy what I'm told! I've also seen this coolant `guide`, although I've no idea if it's correct.

Attachments

• audi_vw_coolant_specs.jpg
    audi_vw_coolant_specs.jpg
    618.4 KB · Views: 146

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
No idea if it's any good or not. I just buy what I'm told! I've also seen this coolant `guide`, although I've no idea if it's correct.
There’s a discussion thread and a coolant compatibility matrix over on the Ross Tech forum on which VAG coolants can and can’t be mixed together;

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland

As far as I know, that list is only based on available aftermarket versions of the coolants that have VW Group specs, currently, in UK there is no aftermarket versions of G12evo but I'd think that the usual brands will come along soon with their versions. VW Group currently only sell one version of their branded and spec'd coolant, which is G12evo.

Jay1983

Sep 21, 2018
Sorry to piggyback this but not really worth a new thread - I've been using Comma GG40 coolant, which has now been discontinued. Is there any issue with now using Comma G40 (or indeed VW standard G13) with this, i.e. can they be mixed or does the GG40 all need to be flushed?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
One of these options was Glycol based, G40 is what G12++ is, the other was Glycerol based and is what G13 is. The latest VW Group coolant is G12evo and that is G65.
As all these coolants, when sold in VW Group branded, are forward compatible - ie you can add G12evo to G13 and G12++, and G13 to G12++, then it follows that it should be safe to add any newer VW Group spec'd to what is in your car. Comma use the BASF trade name of coolants, as in G30, G40, in their coolant "names" so eventually they will launch the G65 version I'd think.

Reactions: Jay1983

Jay1983

Sep 21, 2018
One of these options was Glycol based, G40 is what G12++ is, the other was Glycerol based and is what G13 is. The latest VW Group coolant is G12evo and that is G65.
As all these coolants, when sold in VW Group branded, are forward compatible - ie you can add G12evo to G13 and G12++, and G13 to G12++, then it follows that it should be safe to add any newer VW Group spec'd to what is in your car. Comma use the BASF trade name of coolants, as in G30, G40, in their coolant "names" so eventually they will launch the G65 version I'd think.
Thanks, so if I get some G12evo I can basically add it to any of the previous VW ones (including my current G13/GG4O)?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.