Help with wiring...

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
Just bought an alpine CDA-9812RB for my Mk4 Ibiza... I had one of these models in my Toledo and the wiring didn't have to be adjusted.

Basically the guy had it in his Focus, told me to link up the two bare wires to a constant live and a ground source, plug in the 2 connectors and thats it, Do I need to do this? Was hoping to pull out the old, plug and the new and be done.

I've took photos of the wiring loom, can anyone advise if I can make any adjustments to the loom so it is plug and play, if you could even mark out what adjustments I should make it would be great.

DSC00288.jpg

DSC00287.jpg

DSC00286.jpg

On the top photo, the wiring going away to the right are the ones he told me to have grounded and connected to a live source.

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
yeah what he said is right, the yellow needs a permenant live and the black earth.

On some of the more expensive alpines it was recommended to plug the live power straight to the battery however I only know of 1 or 2 people that do this!!

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
Ok, so I should run them though and connect to the battery then?

After that it should work OK and come on fine with the ignition?

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
yeah, alternatively you could just plug the yellow lead into the red lead and earth the black wire normally and it will also work. (I think when you plug the loom in the red lead (on the alpine loom) on your car is actually permenant live)

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
So wire the yellow to this red bit (Photo below)

DSC00288_2.jpg

Could I put the black ground onto the bit of metal that the dash is fixed onto? The phatbox is grounded onto that the now but its coming out.

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
yeah, if you've got a multimeter I'd check it out first make sureits permenant (otherwise you'll just lose all your memory settings everytime you turn your car off).

Alternatively if you dont want to wire to the battery or cut into your cars wiring loom you could buy a lead from halfords for £8.99 which is ISO to ISO and cut into that rather than your cars loom. That would have the earth and thepower lead on it and you could connect them both to that? Just an idea :)

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
So if that connection is permenant then connecting those up would do? I'll test to make sure it saves the settings and comes on with the ign before I secure it all in place.

Sound ok?

Grounding to that metal bit that holds the dash, is that suitable enough?

Cheers Dave

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
Yeah the only thing with that is you'd have to manually turn your stereo on and off (or just remove the fascia lol)

Personally I'd rather earth it to the car wiring loom....

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
Hmm, is the blue wire the ignition? I thought that would turn on and off with that? If I wire direct to the battery I won't need to turn it on and off manually?

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
no the blue wires the one used for turning on a amp.....

I'm really not sure with the Mk4 if you when you put a stereo in you swap and the yellow over? if someone can confirm that you do / dont then that would help!!

No becuase chances are the red is a permenant live...so wont turn off when the car turns off. If I was fitting your stereo I would buy that lead from halfords (or wherever) and use that...although I've heard there isnt much room behind there it will go in somewhere!! and cut into that

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
Hmm, when I go out tomorrow I'll plug that red connection in and see if it comes on with the ignition and saves the settings - if not I'll buy the connector from Halfords. Is it an ISO Male > Female I'd get? Or is it an ISO female > Bare wires?

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
Or, if I went to halfords and bought an alpine wiring harness it would be plug and play?

If so, how much roughly would one cost?

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
the alpine wiring loom i imagine being £20 or more....unless they have some just sitting around.

You want a ISO to ISO lead one that would normally go into your car then into the back of another stereo I'm sureits just £8.99 basically its just like an extension

davidol

New ghetto whip :)
Aug 17, 2004
Cardiff
right, this loom is for a alpine unit that is rated at 4x60watts (peak) and draws around 20amps worth of current when on full chat, alpine believe most cars standard wiring looms are capable of supplying this about of current safety and so do not connect the main permanent power feed and the earth into the iso block, you've got a couple of options here

1. If your planning on running the speakers in the car from external amplifiers or hardly turn it up then you can safely wire the loom into a blank female iso block and plug it into the standard iso plug in the car. Go to halfords and buy yourself a female blank iso block to do this, better yet if you dont want to get ripped off, use ebay.

2. Find a suitablely chunky permanently live wire in the car to tap off (fusing it of course) and use this to supply the yellow wire, this is best method and the one i'd recommend, it'll allow the internal amp to get the power it needs for full wack usage! You'll need to connect the black earth wire to clean bare metal

Yellow wire = permanent live (main power supply to the unit and allows the unit to remember presets etc)
black = Earth
Red = igition switched supply (instruction wire to bring the unit on with the igntion)
Orange = illumination wire (connect to the dimming curcuit to adjust the brightness automatically when the cars lights are switched on)

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
I don't really want to modify any of the wiring in my car if possible, is there any easy way of running a wire through to the engine bay onto the battery? I've removed the top half of the glovebox before - any bits in there I could squeeze it through?

I might just pop into halfords and buy a new wiring loom for the unit and be done with it, will see how much of a job it would be running a wire through first though.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.