HID Conversion

akjw88

I will have my LCR mid next week hopefully and i would like to do a HID conversion. I would like info on;
Easy to install or does it have to be done by someone who knows what they are doing?
I want them to be as Blue as possible and not white and what actual kit i will need to do this? as i belive you can over power them?
Where is the best or cheapest place to purchase the kit. I dont want a crap Kit.

Thanks [B)]

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Why do you want them to be blue? You do realise if you do that you've got more chance of being pulled for illegal headlights? For blue you just need a higher temperature, but most people tend to go for a 6000K kit.

akjw88

When i said Blue as possible i dont mean like police lights lol
I just dont want them white... I thought they are Legal?
6000K is what i looked at, Also looked at 8000K but was worried incase they got abit hot? as i think they may just be for show cars?

Thanks for replying

DodgyDave

May 15, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland
lol .. they wont get hot :)

the numbers (6k & 8k and the like) are the Color Temprature of the light that they give off when running:

4k5 - filament lamp (60w house bulb type!!!), slighty yellow (the "k" is used as a point so 4k5 = 4,500)

5k5 to 6k - white light, about the same as bright natural sunlight

8k - slight blue'y or ice-blue/white tint to it, but not blue

10k and higher - going towards ultraviolet, crap for driving but look good.

In general the lower the Color Temp of the light the better it is for us to see with, you will see further at night with a 4k5 light than with a 10k light not due to it being brighter or travelling further but the difference between the "light beam" and the "background" is smaller :)

Also most HID bulbs draw only 30w to 35w - this is "Watt's" and is the power they use, most of this is turned into heat but it's still less that the 50w to 55w of a normal bulb - so if they give of less heat they run cooler.

Legality is a gray area (unlike the lights when running!!!).

** they are illegal to use on a public highway unless the car & headlight housing is designed for them (and if it was you would not need to fit 'em as a mod!!!)

** they WILL pass a MOT fitted as this only checks the Beam Allignment/Pattern and not the actual type of bulb used

As for fitting ..... if you can change/fit a head unit you can do this, took me about 90 mins to do and most of that was working out where to put the balast boxes so they would be secure, on a Leon would take under 30 mins now.

Dave

chrischewy

you can get them for about 40 quid off ebay, look in the leon section, theres a huge section on them there along with fitting guides. I got mine from hong kong 2 weeks ago, got delivered 6 days later, look great!! :)

chris_necca

i got some off ebay they look great ;) loads better than the original ones.

adevtr

Jun 21, 2004
I bought a seat leon a few years back and it's recently blown a bulb, however it does have a HID kit and being a bit dull I have no idea what bulb fits. How do I find out what type of bulbs fit the car?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.