HID crimbo present

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
took long enough you sure you had the drill on clockwise or on reverse! should take 2 secs to push through!

would take about 1minuite to drill a circle of holes and then file it out!

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
Use a hole saw, I got a kit on eBay fairly cheaply and it done the trick for me and another couple of local people on the forum!

01.jpg

Looks spot on Nath - after fitting a set to my Toledo for the first time nearly three years ago - I'll never have a car without them now! :D

Aimez

we had crap drill bits that didn't fit the drill properly is what the problem was. I guess I'm just being lazy after moaning about the bits taking so long to arrive I haven't fitted them! Will definetly sort someting, wll be next year now as I have to work and I feek too ill to move much today!

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
ok the hole you cut out is that just for the wires to go through or is that how the replacement bulb fits? does the bulb fit in the way the oem one does?

Last edited:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
the hole in the rear cover is just for the non OEM wiring to go to and from the ballast (high voltage power supply)

the xenon HID bulb is a h7 fitment and goes in just the same as an OEM one

the simple way to do it is like I did, here is a pic of the kit for 1 headlight
>>>>>
2007-12-2610.jpg

the red plug goes into where the old OEM bulb was, 12v wiring goes out of the rear headlight cover through your drilled hole to the ballast (high voltage power supply), then the high voltage wiring goes from the ballast back through the hole and plugs into the xenon bulb in the normal place

hope that helps

Last edited:

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
They look great, i think ill get some when my student loan come through :p Do they still fade when you steer whilst idling?

I don't get that no.

Infact, the only thing I see which moves when I move the wheel at idle is the volt meter and the rev counter ever so slightly.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
well I had some spare time today to tidy up my passenger side ballast, I don't know if others have done this but maybe/maybe not, I would have thought the derv would have a bigger battery but any way here are some pics

cut a slot in the battery cover in the corner for the wiring

14-01-200812-13-434.jpg

looks nice and tidy with the lid on

14-01-200812-16-365.jpg

sorted out the drivers side one and made it sit a bit more square

14-01-200812-37-599.jpg

just the dipped beam HID's with the halfrauds LED style side lights (prob look better at night TBH)

14-01-200812-39-1111.jpg

High beam looking very yellow

14-01-200812-42-3414.jpg

Last edited:

Aimez

Nice one, don't think there is space by my battery though but I'll go check as the ballast is cable tyed in front of the battery at the mo looks crap!
Looks like your drivers side was easy I had to injure myself putting the ballast near the wing through the smalles gap ever worrying id drop it! Diesel engine is a nightmare no space at all, I want to get LED side lights as they look rubbish at the mo!

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Thats a pritty tidy kit, i like the way they have made it "plug and play".

yes thanks although it was an expensive kit £139, all metal none of this plastic bulb bodys and cheep electrical connectors

a very nice kit indeed

Aimes my side lights look well cool, got them from halfrauds although they don't show up well in my pics as the camera closes down due to the HID light near by

think they show up better here on the passenger (halogen) side with camera tweeks

2007-12-268.jpg

Last edited:

Aimez

yes they look really good in that pic, should I just look for LEDs 501 in halfords? Are they expensive rashcupra bought some LEDs online for £14 and they blew after a few days and I heard similar stories. How long you had the LEDs in?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
yes they look really good in that pic, should I just look for LEDs 501 in halfords? Are they expensive rashcupra bought some LEDs online for £14 and they blew after a few days and I heard similar stories. How long you had the LEDs in?

think they have been in there a year now, think they were about 8 quid

the thing to remember is that they are a diode and as such they need to be connected with the correct polarity (pluss and minus the right way round)

with mine they did say on the packet that you must not connect them with the wrong polarity, I made sure on mine with a test metre but maybe some people do connect them wrong at first, scratch their head for a few mins then switch them round

I can't help thinking that this is why some people have problems with flickering and only lasting a few days

:shrug:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members