HIDs or bulb upgrades?

phil_monk31

Feb 22, 2010
Don't get a HID kit..... I am fed up of people driving towards me and blinding me with them, they just don't work in normal reflector lamps even with the defuse tips. and I am fed up of people saying that there's don't blind people. They all do no matter how well adjusted. they will pass an MOT because the level of the hard beam will be ok. MOT tests do not check for scatter that blinds other road users.

the police in MK where i live are pulling people over with them now and in some cases are fining people.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

that is the official document on the HID's and lays out the guide lines.

Don't get them and just get some good bulbs, there are good sets out there that give a good HID look, Phillips Diamond vision are a good set, but again you wlil have to check the legal side of things.

Just as a point of interest, Which? recently tested headlamp up-grades using a Vauxhall Astra as a test-bed.

Their 'Best Buys' are:

1. Bosch Pure Light H7 @ about £22 / pair
  2. Osram Night Breaker H7 @ about £16.50 / pair
  3. Philips X-treme Power H7 @ about £25 / pair

They didn't rate the Halfords H7 bulbs at all. Of course the Vauxhall factory-fit Xenon HID kit came out best of all - but at a cost of £766.

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
I'm running Nightbreakers in both A3's at the moment - a good step up from the standard bulbs although they're not for those who want the HID 'look'. They are whiter than the standard lamps, but not ice white like the HID's are. I've got Philips Bluevision sidelights in which seem to match the colour well.