High Beam LED ramp-up times?

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
Hi all, new to the forum.

Quick question - I've got a Leon FR 1.5 eTSI (2021), and although the normal LED headlights are OK, the high-beam on the inside of the cluster seems to take an age to ramp up to full brightness. My wife's Mazda with LED lights gives almost instant light when flashing the high beams (it's a really obvious flash), but my Seat seems to take about a second to ramp up to full brightness (as well as the low beams lifting up). Is that normal? When (for example) I flash to let someone out, it's not exactly obvious I'm flashing my light at them cos it takes so long for the bulbs to get to full brightness.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I thought one of the pluses for leds was the instantaneous emitting of light hence they’re use in brake lights.

2Pedals

Sep 8, 2021
Hi all, new to the forum.

Quick question - I've got a Leon FR 1.5 eTSI (2021), and although the normal LED headlights are OK, the high-beam on the inside of the cluster seems to take an age to ramp up to full brightness. My wife's Mazda with LED lights gives almost instant light when flashing the high beams (it's a really obvious flash), but my Seat seems to take about a second to ramp up to full brightness (as well as the low beams lifting up). Is that normal? When (for example) I flash to let someone out, it's not exactly obvious I'm flashing my light at them cos it takes so long for the bulbs to get to full brightness.
Exactly the same for me.
It is almost like it is adjusting the bulb height rather than a separate full beam, so appears to fade rather than ping. Lost count of times people have failed to notice me letting them out.

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
I thought one of the pluses for leds was the instantaneous emitting of light hence they’re use in brake lights.
You’d think, but it’s almost like Seat have programmed them to ramp up slowly to full brightness (maybe to save you suddenly dazzling people??)

KSE

Mar 28, 2022
I have a 2022 FR with the automatic high beam and main beam is instant on mine.

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
I've noticed similar. The amount of times I'm following behind someone with just their DRL's on and I flash the lights at them from behind it literally lights up as high as their registration plates so I go completely unnoticed.

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
Don't flash other drivers to mean you are letting them out. A headlight flash has only one meaning - 'I am here' . Any other intention is open to misunderstanding. Read the Highway Code.

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
In a textbook is has one meaning, but I guarantee you in the real world if you flash your lights to say “I’m here”, that person in the junction will take it mean “I’m letting you out” because literally everyone knows a flash of the lights realistically is “you go first”

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
Which is how some of the 'false accident' claim scammers work -flash a car to let them out, drive into it & then blame the 'flashed' driver for the accident. Witnesses in the scammer's car confirm the car pulled out in front of their driver.

I never let cars out unless I have come to a complete stop & then I use a hand gesture to beckon the driver out. Can't remember the last time I flashed the headlamps on my car.

Not every flash of headlamps mean 'out you come'. On a driving course I attended we were invited to write on a white board what flashed headlamps could mean - over 20 suggestions.

Reactions: martin j.

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
Did any of them have an idea why it takes longer than necessary for the headlights to reach full brightness, rather than questioning the motives of the driver?

Jan 25, 2023
It's not that they're ramping up to full brightness; it's that the angle is changing. If you've ever had a modern LED light full-beam flash from another driver hit you in your mirrors, you'll probably have seen how jarring it is to go from 100% off to 100% on. A typical tungsten or halogen bulb shifts gradually - though it's still so fast you wouldn't say it was happening. It's the same with modern LED street lights. Some of the second-generation ones have got a built-in fade-up / fade-down effect, which you sometimes see stuttering as the LEDs sweep through the range of brightness levels in between.

Ours LEDs seem to physically re-angle themselves from dipped-beam to full-beam position to avoid giving other drivers that dazzle effect at night.

That said, I still have the same issue. Tried to let someone know they were driving without their lights on last night, and it felt awkward when the length of time you hold the lever to make it change from off to on or vice versa is longer than the length of time you actually want to make each pulse of your lights.

Deleted member 133989

Did any of them have an idea why it takes longer than necessary for the headlights to reach full brightness, rather than questioning the motives of the driver?
Do you lights lift up slightly when flashing the main beam or when you put the full beam on for dark roads?

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
Do you lights lift up slightly when flashing the main beam or when you put the full beam on for dark roads?
As mentioned in my first post, the low beam lights lift up, but it’s the light coming from the inside section of the headlight cluster that takes longer than I’d expect to reach full brightness.

Does this use the same LEDs as the low beam but with a shutter, or does it have its own LED cluster?

Deleted member 133989

Definitely has its own lights for main beam and uses the dipped lights to go brighter

I will add a video of mine working

Reactions: Alex667

Deleted member 133989

Can’t seem to add a video so here’s a few photos.

you can see the inner light comes on when you press main beam.

bit crap at night with the camera but main beam definitely has its own light.

Attachments

• BC7A4797-418C-437A-B1DE-556E72CBACAA.png
    BC7A4797-418C-437A-B1DE-556E72CBACAA.png
    324.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 1A58D09A-A493-45DC-B7C4-5AECB68CE567.png
    1A58D09A-A493-45DC-B7C4-5AECB68CE567.png
    405.1 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: Alex667

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
Projector lights are designed this way. Low beam get raised up and additional LED are switched on. I don't see any issues on my one only the raising speed could be faster. I do recommend check the low beam as my one was set too low.

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
Yep and that’s my point. The main beam LEDs in the middle take well over a second to reach full brightness, I’d expect it near instant.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.