High Beam LED ramp-up times?

Deleted member 133989

Yep and that’s my point. The main beam LEDs in the middle take well over a second to reach full brightness, I’d expect it near instant.
In short, the lights on the mk4 Leon are shite!

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
I have no issues at all with them other than the fact the flash isn't as obvious as it should be. Had an Insignia with AFL before this, and that was purely 'raise the low beams' - no additional bulbs for high beam. As mentioned earlier, officially a flash is "I'm here, be careful", so it should be a lot more obvious than it is.

Bear

Jun 15, 2021
Which is how some of the 'false accident' claim scammers work -flash a car to let them out, drive into it & then blame the 'flashed' driver for the accident. Witnesses in the scammer's car confirm the car pulled out in front of their driver.

I never let cars out unless I have come to a complete stop & then I use a hand gesture to beckon the driver out. Can't remember the last time I flashed the headlamps on my car.

Not every flash of headlamps mean 'out you come'. On a driving course I attended we were invited to write on a white board what flashed headlamps could mean - over 20 suggestions.
20 suggestions? Man alive, those people have some imagination...I only flash to say 'thanks'.

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
20 suggestions? Man alive, those people have some imagination...I only flash to say 'thanks'.
Thanks
You go first
Watch out ya muppet (accompanied by horn)
Speed camera back that way
It’s dark, turn your ******* headlights on

That’s about it on mine.

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
Thanks
You go first
Watch out ya muppet (accompanied by horn)
Speed camera back that way
It’s dark, turn your ******* headlights on

That’s about it on mine.
I know you
My car's the same as yours
I like your car
You have a flat tyre
Your exhaust is hanging off
etc.

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
I know you
My car's the same as yours
I like your car
You have a flat tyre
Your exhaust is hanging off
etc.
I never bother with that. If they’re too dumb to realise that their exhaust is dragging or their handbrake is still on causing a smokescreen, they’re not going to know why someone is flashing at them.

Reactions: martin j.

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
I never bother with that. If they’re too dumb to realise that their exhaust is dragging or their handbrake is still on causing a smokescreen, they’re not going to know why someone is flashing at them.
Neither do I. I'm just listing some of the reasons for flashing headlamps suggested by attendees on a driving course when asked to think of as many as possible.

FalconTech

Jun 8, 2021
The best option to improve the visibility of flashes is to add fog lights.

I used it in the car from '99 on the relay, '07 on the additional CAN module. And I'm glad that Leon managed to set it in coding.
e.g. in obdelewen there is an option "Fog lights with high beam".

Reactions: Alex667
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.