High Boost Misfire Under Load!?!

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Hi Guys.

I know of all the usual coil pack issues; however I've never had a problem before with the Leon ones and what I've noticed recently is a very slight misfire under load.

What happens is if you driving along in 5th and put your foot flat to the floor sometimes it'll be OK, however sometimes (same goes for if you slip it to 3rd or 4th) the boost gauge spikes to 20/21psi and you can hear a slight misfire, which then clears up and the car goes as well as it normally does.

It only misfires once or twice at the most then its all go; it still runs well at the top end and doesn’t do it all the time. It only does it if you’re putting on 100% load by putting your foot flat to the floor, and it only does it at 20psi.

I have scanned the car and it has no engine faults what so ever, is there a misfire recognition block on VAG-COM?? Thinking back I think block 014 does it, but not totally sure.

I've been wondering if it's an over boosting issue or a misfire, the plugs were last done 20,000miles ago however I'm thinking of replacing them for Denso's before I go for bigger power.

Any help is much appreciated, I've removed 3 of the 4 coil packs and plugs and sprayed them with WD40 to drive out any water that may be causing it, need to removed the 4th one tomorrow. I've also WD40'd every other plug and contact whilst I was at it.

I only noticed this after the engine bay had been steam cleaned by a garage, the car had a general misfire which cleared up after a few miles, and from checking it after that noticed the current problem.

It's nothing major, but I want to get to the bottom of it ASAP.

Rick-24

Feb 24, 2005
well from what your saying its probaby a dampness issue....bad connection some where?.... tho u would of thought it would log it:whistle: ..... we had alot of rainfall awhile ago and and drove to work fine one morning and it was fine, got back from work to drive home and it wouldnt start, scanned it for faults and none was logged, i couldnt figure it out i left the car and came back to and it fired up...which i thought was strange:confused:

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Had that one too before, when you turn the key and get nothing but a click. Had it on my 1.6 only ever did it once, never logged anything and never did it again.

I'd like to know if its an ECU Overboosting Issue or a Missfire, going to try and find a misfire counter in VAG-COM.

Rick-24

Feb 24, 2005
yea i thought maybe water got round the ecu?... or got damp kinda wierd tho, anyways hope u sort it... can be a pain in the ass lil misfires :)

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
I covered the ECU with a black plastic bag so no water could get to it, when I removed the bag all the contacts were dry. Also the engine was kept running when the cleaning took place, the car did have a heavy misfire on one cyclinder which cleared up before I could log it.

Since then noticed the minor one which may have been there from day one just never noticed it before...!

Hope I get to the bottom of it too, may treat it to some Denso IK22's anyway!

Rick-24

Feb 24, 2005
black plastic bag?...did u leave one end open? gonna say completely closed up it might get condensation inside it.... just a thought, i was think about a plastic cover over the top so it drips on it and runs off

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
It was just used as a cover, placed over the top, pushed over the plugs so that any water that made it into the skuttle panel didnt touch the plugs, as soon as I got home I removed the plastic bag.

Typical... just before the big splash out on part's I've had a lambda fail, clutch could do with a change before I give it a dose of 300ft-lbs and no doubt now I'll need a coil pack!

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
becoming infectious this, numerous threads in the last week or so, u should have searched

i had this a while but eventually after some real punishment my check light started flashing and fault codes were appearing

i changed my plugs because they were due and havent had any trouble since. i bought some coilpacks too but havent used them yet because it hasnt reappeared

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Did some searching but couldnt find any that didn't do it at a set RPM or all the time... Main reason was I thought there may have been some over boosting involved.

However just logged block 014, 015 and 016 and found that it is the one cylinder I havent checked yet, cylinder 4, which is misfiring every now and then under load.

Got 10 misfire counts for Cyl #4 under load, and one for Cyl #3 when I blipped the throttle from idle, however this only happened once, it was Cyl #4 that keeps throwing up counts.

Will swap coil pack 1 with 4 to see if its the plug or the coil pack that is causing the issue.

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Work this one out... swapped coil pack and plug #1 with coil pack and plug #4. Cylinder #4 still misfires, now seems to be worse than ever. I did WD40 all the contacts, etc. So I'll let the WD40 burn away through heat before re-testing it.

Any idea's or do I just go replace all the coil packs and all the plugs to find out it still does it??

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
id be tempted to try swap the plugs, any idea how long theyve been in there i know u aint had it too long. but getting worse after swapping them round certainly is a mind bender

could even test it with the coilpack disconnected briefly just to see if its worse still.

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Bill, not yet this is my next port of call. But wondering which plugs should I go for, soon it'll be 280~300bhp so do I got for some cooler rated plugs? Could you please let me know your suggestion on these and if you have any!

Acid - I'll let all the WD40 burn off / evaporate before disconnecting coil packs again, however I think if its going to be anything it's the plugs. What baffled me is how cylinder 4 is still the one with the problems, even though everything off cylinder 1 which ran fine is on it!!

Wondering if theres any water further down the loom somewhere??

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Bill, not yet this is my next port of call. But wondering which plugs should I go for, soon it'll be 280~300bhp so do I got for some cooler rated plugs? Could you please let me know your suggestion on these and if you have any!

Acid - I'll let all the WD40 burn off / evaporate before disconnecting coil packs again, however I think if its going to be anything it's the plugs. What baffled me is how cylinder 4 is still the one with the problems, even though everything off cylinder 1 which ran fine is on it!!

Wondering if theres any water further down the loom somewhere??
Std work fine.
maybe one grade cooler perhaps. Try std first tho

My ibiza a few years back had a misfire under boost.... plugs cured it

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Well got some new plugs, about to go fit them... However not I've got a pre-cat lambda fault, said malfunction in circuit, this also caused a fuel trim bank one too lean error which nicely gave me limp mode.

This will teach me for sticking up for the Cupra saying i'd never had problems with it, just replaced the post-cat sensor, hope I don't have to replace the pre-cat too.

Hopefully its just the connection has come loose.

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Well new plugs are in and every little misfire has gone, now got a new fault;

16514 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Malfunction in Circuit P0130 - 35-00 - -

Just replaced the post-CAT lambda and have had 0 faults for a full 24 hours, now I've got this and as far as I'm aware B1 S1 is the pre-CAT sensor. Anyone know how to solve this one without spending another £90 on a Lambda??

Removed the brown sensor plug, sprayed contact cleaner in it, etc... Fault came back. Will check it again in a few days to see if it clears itself.

kieran_cupra

Yellow n Black works!!!!
Apr 15, 2006
Nottingham
mines doing this to, under heavy load, 20psi , took it back to jbs and had the plugs changed, this helped but its still an imtermittent fault, if i take it steady in 3rd then plant my foot down it stutters through the revs, Could it be engine "knock" or an overfueling issue?

Kieran

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.