High idle??

hardcore4

Feb 26, 2010
i have just bought an 06 cupra with 5k on the clock and ive had a few problems with it already!!!! Firstly the boot wouldnt open which is now in the process of being sorted and now ive noticed the idle is staying up at around 1200rpm even when warm? Has anyone had this problem before, the prev owner said he had the car chipped but surely that shouldnt do this, he also replaced the battery before i bought it.

Cheers in advance

H4 :D

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Did he have it "chipped" or "remapped". If it was chipped, then try to find out as much as possible about the company that did it! The bloke you bought it off should have recepits/info. still! It could be the chip causing it to do this, I doubt a remap would.

hardcore4

Feb 26, 2010
it was a remap by a company over here, i live in the channel islands and it was done by a company called road race but surely it shouldnt cause a higher idle?? My lcr was mapped and it used to idle at about 750 rpm

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
It could do. I know you can alter the idel speed and it might have been done to even out a lumpy idle at standard rpm. What other mods have been done? Any idea of BHP from this remap?

hardcore4

Feb 26, 2010
No other mods completely standard apart from that, apparently it was around the 200 bhp mark but not sure what to believe. when i first start it it ticks over at about 1000 then goes up to 1200 and stays there all the time. Would carrying out basic settings sort this or?

sounds weird as at cold idle it should run at about 1200rpm and then drop to under 1000rpm which would be the sai pump.
but yours seems to be doing the opposite.
sorry i havent really got anything useful to say. vagcom would probally have the answer to why your car is idleing so high.

hardcore4

Feb 26, 2010
i dont think any of that has been adjusted, he said it was ok when he had it mapped and hasnt driven the car for abour a year before i bought it at which time they fitted a new battery and thats all

hardcore4

Feb 26, 2010
Right guys, quickly got the car in the workshop after work to try a few things. Throttle body is clean as a whistle and only thing i could find out of place in the engine bay was the sai pipe on the airbox was hanging off, refitted this and plugged in our lainch diag machine. No codes in the engine ecu or instrument cluster, reset basic settings and didnt make a difference :S

Sometimes it idles at 100rpm then goes up to 1200 and stays there, it dropped to about 800 earlier briefly but didnt stay there.

Help :(