high temp lacquer for caliper refurb

arge

Starting to mod...
May 22, 2008
Hook, Hampshire
Hi,

Am off work tomorow so have a full wkend to play with the leon :funk:

One of the things on the ever growing list is refurb both the front and rear calipers. My question is will i be able to get the lacquer required from anywhere tomorow morning ? Maybe halfords or a motor factors ?
I have everything else but have failed to plan ahead and order some laquer :rolleyes:

Also, surely the lacquer has to be high temperature being used on the brakes ?

Thanks guys

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
I blasted mine quickly with celulose laquer and it lasted the temp ok, just wont last as long, the VHT laquer isnt all that good to be honest and you will never get a durable finish like powercoating.

J0N

Defected!
I used boggo standard Halfrauds clear laquer on my Brembos, no problems at all. Loads of coats though, I used an entire can, half a can on each. They've been used hard, been through a winter, had TFR on them, had the pressure washer blasted at them, all fine.

DSC01166.jpg

dannybooth

halfords do the paint kits for calipers, thats what i used and they still look good!!

dg-1984

May 28, 2008
Glasgow'ish
I found a stanley blade very helpful when getting the lacquer off, just careful not to hit the paint, did mine last weekend, and just used regular stuff and seems to have worked well, only 4-5 coats aswell, might do some more when I get the time.

arge

Starting to mod...
May 22, 2008
Hook, Hampshire
Just going to grab some halfords laquer and do the rear calipers this aftrnoon, I figured the rears won't get anywhere as near as hot as the fonts and if some people have used this laquer with success on the fronts then the rears should be fine also. Will grab some pics when done.

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Just going to grab some halfords laquer and do the rear calipers this aftrnoon, I figured the rears won't get anywhere as near as hot as the fonts and if some people have used this laquer with success on the fronts then the rears should be fine also. Will grab some pics when done.

Rears still get hot udner harsh braking, as there quite big brakes for rears and vented too, The disc its self doesnt get too hot but the heat is transferd to surrounding areas. If its prepped, applied well and even, alloud to dry then its fine, you can make sure it hardens well by leaving it over night then progessivly warming the brakes up so the calipr heats up and bakes the paint on nicely.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.