hissing shock absorber

leemac

Jun 24, 2007
Bristol
Hi everyone i have just bought my first seat (altea)and have started to notice a strange hissing noise from the front passenger side shocker(i think??)When i go over anything i get what sounds like the gas escaping from the shocker.If this is a shocker is it covered on the manufacturers warranty????
any help would be much appreciated
:)

Triple D

Well, i work for sachs, and test the warranty shock absorbers day in day out, personally if it is faulty, it wont happen over a period of time, if its leaking then it will just go. If it is a gas shock, which i presume it is then the ride will be comprimised straight away and you would deffinately know something is wrong. Is there any oil around the shock at all?

Triple D

In that case then id say it deffo isnt the shock.
Anything else it could be? how old is the car?

leemac

Jun 24, 2007
Bristol
i can't think of anything else which could make this noise ,it's an 06 and only done 14k,I have just gone outside and opened the passenger door and bounced the suspension from the sill and the hiss definately seems to be coming from the shock

Triple D

Take it to the stealers matey....... hopefully they should beable to diagniose it for you..

aceman

May 6, 2002
West Yorkshire
Visit site
Both my SEATS have exhibited this kind of noise when you go over bumps at low speed like a speed bump. I take it as the norm and presume it is because they are gas shocks but the sound does come from all around the car and isn't confined to one corner so you may or may not have a problem.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
A number of cars that I've owned have done this too. A kind of "squishing" noise over bumps.

Triple D

It also could just be the shock absorber working when damping????

Scott.T

Sep 30, 2008
Did we get any answers to this.
Our altea does the same and more noticable now the windows are down for summer.

I have also heard a Leon do it as it clipped a mini-roundabout as I waled passed.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.