hitting the rev limiter

jaketalbot

cupra Jake
Dec 11, 2006
Colchester
a bit bored, so thought i'd post a thread, haven't been in a 16 valve cupra so just wondered what they rev too? obviously its about 7k rpm, but in my 8v i still haven't hit the rev limiter and im going round to 6,300 rpm! don't really want to push it anymore, but in my previous 8v i it cut out at 5,200 rpm?!? :blink: so just wondering what everyone elses rev to?

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
drop it into 1st at about 60 mph and it will go off the clock,may well lunch a few valves in the process

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
I think my rev limiter kicks in at about 6700rpm. Best thing about the 16v's is that they pull pretty much all the way up until 6500rpm. Whereas 8v's top out at about 5000rpm (might be wrong tho).

Mig

jaketalbot

cupra Jake
Dec 11, 2006
Colchester
yeah i reckon it was faulty, because i was so suprised when i first got in my new one, just thought i'd open it up and it kept going, yeah the 8 valves do lose power after about 5,200 but there more revy then the 16 valvers in the lower gears:D

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Guess the ibiza is tooo classy for them lol :)

Very true indeed. Think I have only ever seen/known one chav who drove an Ibiza. And he wrote it off 4 days after passing his test :cry: ,another Beeza hits the dust.

That's if we don't count all the dirty chavs that are on here [B)] , just kidding, they are all banned by now,lol.

106, old clio's and Paxo's seem to be topping the "Top 3 Chav chart" :lol:

Mig

jaketalbot

cupra Jake
Dec 11, 2006
Colchester
Very true indeed. Think I have only ever seen/known one chav who drove an Ibiza. And he wrote it off 4 days after passing his test :cry: ,another Beeza hits the dust.

That's if we don't count all the dirty chavs that are on here [B)] , just kidding, they are all banned by now,lol.

106, old clio's and Paxo's seem to be topping the "Top 3 Chav chart" :lol:

Mig

my mate wants a paxo 1.4 westcoast, im really trying to persuade him not too! common as muck and chav to the core. but he cant afford the insurance etc on our lush gorgous amazing stunning quick prestige cupras' [B)] anyway the moral of this thread is that we don't really care how far our cars rev to!

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
my mate wants a paxo 1.4 westcoast, im really trying to persuade him not too! common as muck and chav to the core. but he cant afford the insurance etc on our lush gorgous amazing stunning quick prestige cupras' [B)] anyway the moral of this thread is that we don't really care how far our cars rev to!
i would take a 1.4 ibiza over a 1.4 saxo any day, they are too common the ibiza looks great and mpg and performance is as good as well

and i would add corse to the chav list as well at number 1, but that might be just where i live

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Yeah, corsas are pretty bad as well. But soooo many people drive corsas that it helps dilute the percentage of chavs driving them.

TBH its a bit of a shame that Saxo's are driven by chavs, as the VTS is actually a pretty good car when it comes to drivers enjoment and performance. But they are french, and crumple like a tin can when in an accident.

You just cant beat an Ibiza, superb car all around. Not being bias ofcourse :p

Mig

jaketalbot

cupra Jake
Dec 11, 2006
Colchester
yeah the vts is a quick car for what it is, but to be frank, nearly every hatch back is chav these days, its just our beezers are 2 litre so chvs cant afford them or drive them, because they can only drive cars with 7 savage exhausts coming out of their rear bumper:lol:

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
there's many a "chavved up" ibiza around here.perhaps i spot them because of this site.
they (chavs)drive anything from a 1.1 to an m3,there's a massive spectrum of bad taste cars out there,look at some of the shite that comes from Europe because they aren't allowed to tune the engine.
take a look at some super 1600 corsa's,they look mental,theres a stripped out saxo vts near here that i have never seen on the road but it looks brilliant,stripped out and caged on tarmac slicks,there's also a local rally driver doing well in the 1300 series of local rallying in a nova sr.
horses for courses ;)

Last edited:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
corsa's make great autograssers :)

and nova's make half decent rally cars too

about their limit though :)

jaketalbot

cupra Jake
Dec 11, 2006
Colchester
well i suppose there's a type of car chav's go for, and its generally a corsa, nova, saxo, etc, just becasue there cheap and easy to do up, but theres always gonna be the people that do generally do up these cars and they can be made to look good and drive well. but the 2 litre cupra's arn't really a chavy car, just becasue there more expensive, but ill agree that there still is some chav'd up ones.:D

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
for instance
carpics005.jpg

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
theres no point in taking a 8v to the limit.. torque peaks around 2200rpm and id assume power peaks round 5000rpm.

16v torque blows and the power band is shorter and higher up the revs, although ultimatly delivering more power.

8v is a more usable band of power, ie i over took some doodling diddy in a dawoo yesterday at 40mph in 4th lol, was super casual, but it picked up and went from very low in the revs which is what i want :)

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
edit... i find that when i dip the clutch the engine braking is well harsh lol, must be all the compression jenk.. least im sorted if the brakes fail :D

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.