how can i make my 1.6 16 petrol engine leon faster??

afz

i have the full cupra r bodykit and alloys on my black leon....from the outside it looks like a cupra r but when it comes to performance......:(

can anyone suggest anything i can do to increase the power?? it doesnt have to be as powerful as a lcr but i wanna be able to feel the car moving when i put my foot down!

the model that i have is a 1.6 16v sx

thanks

Eternal Rage

Scooby & Cordy Powered
Mar 22, 2005
Manchester
Air Filter and Exhaust.... definately agree there with Tris... decat it if you can be hastled changing the decat pipe over each year for the MOT.

My old 1.6 was no 20VT but it was nippy and sounded nice. If you have a few quid to play with, custom code can fettle with the ECU, up the fueling and raise the rev limiter.

By the way, is it the 100BHP version? I assume so....

afz

yep i think it is around 105bhp.....i have a cupra r backbox but not the full exhaust.....how much will it cost to fit a air filter?

ive spent around £1300 on alloys and bodykit including fitting and spraying...i'll have pictures very soon

afz

can anyone give me any links to the air filters that i require at a decent price?

Eternal Rage

Scooby & Cordy Powered
Mar 22, 2005
Manchester
Yeah, 100-105 BHP version is the same i had. Pretty quick for what it was 135 MPH out of it on my private road, but not the quickest off the line as i had 19's on mine, your LCR are prob a good trade off between looks and performance (weight).

I had a K&N Apollo. It is forced induction. Was awesome, so so much better response and quicker to the redline. Thoroughly recommend for that engine!!

You just remove the standard airbox and attatch the K&N housing to old pipe. Then run Cold Air Feed down to one of the grilles. I cut some of the plastic away from where the Foglights should be (only has S spec not SX so mine didnt have Foggies).

afz

which air filter would everyone reccommend? and can anyone give me links to where i can buy them from on the internet?

How much hard work is it to fit?

Eternal Rage

Scooby & Cordy Powered
Mar 22, 2005
Manchester
I think you are looking for an Induction Kit with a Cone Filter if you want to see any difference, Panel Filter you will haldly notice...

Eternal Rage

Scooby & Cordy Powered
Mar 22, 2005
Manchester
On a medium size non-turbo'd engine i would go for enclosed, not gonna cost too much and makes the most of what the engine has to offer. But a filter is pointless with no exhaust, you are just moving the bottle neck in air somewhere else...

cupra jay

there a piece of p**s to fit, even if you know nothing about cars

cuprablue

Nov 12, 2006
ive spent around £1300 on alloys and bodykit including fitting and spraying...i'll have pictures very soon

Well if you want to make your car go slower you sure are going about it the right way. I would imagine that even with a pipe and induction mods you're car will still be slower than it was when it was stock, (after all that weight that you've added). Basically on a normally aspirated engine you're only going to make your engine make less power by adding a free-flowing induction and exhaust unless you sort out the fuelling too as you will have just made it run leaner, (and standard engines nearly always run on the lean side anyway to get through emissions tests etc). Real question is can the stock ECU deal with the required fuelling changes it'll have to make after the induction changes will have changed everything?

Also there is the whole issue of the tuning of the induction. In a normally aspirated engine the length of the inlets and induction piping can have a very significant effect on power output. Generally speaking manufacturers are pretty good at getting it right and usually making mods to the inlet system will only result in a messed up power curve. If you gain more than 5% through the midrange or top end on a modern NA engine with just decatted pipe and induction kit I'd be amazed, and that's assuming you sort out the fuelling.

cuprablue

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members