How do I remove the Roof Liner?

Havok316

Boost Junky
Jun 6, 2006
Weston-super-Mare
yes the pillars are just clipped on mate, not sure about the roof lining would be interested too on finding the answer so i can route my tracker through the roof lining.

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
roof lining removal is a nightmare. apparently from a dealer you'd be looking at a £1k job!! reason being the most appropriate way of doing it would appear to be by removing the windscreen?? so i'm told. on this note, i have a 54 plate leon cupra and there is a orange bubbling coming through around the edges of my roof lining. any idea what this could be? i thought corrosion however seat assure me otherwise... help!!

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
I got my roof liner out on my FR to swap it for an LCR one... you have to completely strip the car, starting with the plastic panels in the boot! Took a good 4-5 hours to carry out the swap.

Some panels are clipped, some are screwed in... some are a REAL pain in the ass - I even drew blood!

Fallen Angel

Leon Cupra 1.8T 20v 180
Well i've done it now, £1k to have your liner removed by Seat!! Rip off!!
It's not a quick job but i've managed it on my own, took a couple hours tops, and yes i am female so that's saying something.

Firstly you have to need to loosen off or remove the B and C pillar covers. I've removed all of my pillar covers anyway as they were being covered along with the roof liner.
Then you will need to remove the grab handles, sun visors & hooks and interior lights, the liner will pretty much just fall off the roof once all that's taken off.

Then what you do to get the liner out the car is to wind the front passenger seat right down, tilt the liner downwards and hey presto it's out!
Remove the windscreen my arse! lol

I don't believe it would be corrosion, seems a little odd to me, could be a glue that's been used? Have you got any pics?? Is it around all the edges or just in certain places??

1.9...stefan

HYBRID???
Aug 21, 2008
grimsby
What have you retrimed the lining with, i did an old corsa years ago using fake suade and spray glue and it started to peel down after a few weeks,,, any perticular products u advise. any pics??

Fallen Angel

Leon Cupra 1.8T 20v 180
sorry for the delay in replying. Well first of all i was worried about the fabric peeling away from the liner after a while as it's just too porous. So what i did was to paint the lining with fibreglass resin to give a much harder surface which i could paste with Evo Stick Time Bond, there is no way this fabric will peel away now!
The fabric i've used is a thin faux suede i bought off Ebay pretty cheap, it looks great! I've also done all the pillars and either side of the parcel shelf. I think all in all it cost me about £45 roughly to do all this, and it almost looks like a professional has done it, or at least someone that does it a lot lol.
I'll get some pics up soon.

I did think about spraying the roof liner and pillars but all i could think of was paint peel and i wanted a nice trimmed finish

Fallen Angel

Leon Cupra 1.8T 20v 180
Finally i've got some pics, although they arent great as 1 they are on my mobile and 2 even with it being remotely bright outside it is hard to pick up the black interior properly! :lol:

Here's the A pillar trims, this pic is to show the fabric when it's brushed back in one direction, a bit like suede would react.

DSC01560.jpg

A pillar fitted
DSC02431.jpg

C pillar fitted
DSC03410.jpg

Roof liner
DSC03409.jpg

DSC03408.jpg

DSC03404.jpg

Black grabs handles and lights
DSC03407.jpg

Rear bench side trim
DSC02460.jpg

Looks better doesnt it :D

MrShake

Sep 20, 2020
Sorry for bumping an old thread but after searching everywhere, I managed to remove the roof lining of my Seat Leon alone, it took an hour to do so.

You start from the boot of the car, there's two bolts on the left and two bolts on the right interior parts. Once you remove these, everything else is clip on, including the pillars, so you just pull the parts off. Then there's two/three more screws at the front where the reading lights are. Use a tool to first remove the reading light cover then unscrew. My interior handle bars don't have bolts, these are also clip on, you need to remove them with a sharp tool, you open the small cover on the roof handle bars and poke through then pull it off. ? I need to perhaps do a thread on this, but it's ridiculous if anyone pays 1k to get it removed.

Reactions: Battoussai

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
Gotta take it off also because the liner is falling off - glue's is gone. Sunny weather most of the time here have cooked the roof the past 20 years. Gonna have it refurbished for 80€.