How do you move the media bits in the glovebox to replace the pollen filter?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
This is what should be a very basic question that only a pure dumb head could possibly ask, maybe I am one, so, as per this thread title, how do you move/remove the media player etc so that you can reach the top latches of the pollen filter cover?

I've used a couple of aftermarket pollen suppliers pictorial guides, namely Mann and Mahle - but their arrows just don't work for me, so I gave up rather than attack the media unit with a large hammer!

This is the first VW Group model of car that has beaten me - so far!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Ah, maybe I should have looked for youtube videos! Lesson learned, filter instructions just made it look so easy, quoting a 15 mins time for that job.

So the media player stuff's trim pulls off!

Now I know, that could be a job for Monday after that daughter returns from work - and we are child minding for her, possibly a vacuum cleaner will be needed as a tree nearby does like to hand out its needles!

Reactions: Mo_86

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Ah, maybe I should have looked for youtube videos! Lesson learned, filter instructions just made it look so easy, quoting a 15 mins time for that job.

So the media player stuff's trim pulls off!

Now I know, that could be a job for Monday after that daughter returns from work - and we are child minding for her, possibly a vacuum cleaner will be needed as a tree nearby does like to hand out its needles!
The recommended (book) way to change the filter, is to use a thin plate slid under the filter before removal to stop any debris on top of the filter from falling into the fan unit.

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
If any of the tabs break off the cover when you take it out, don't panic - just use two self tapping screw in the positions already there on the cover to fix it back on.
15 mins should cover you changing it, hoovering up, and making yourself a brew once you've finished :D

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If any of the tabs break off the cover when you take it out, don't panic - just use two self tapping screw in the positions already there on the cover to fix it back on.
15 mins should cover you changing it, hoovering up, and making yourself a brew once you've finished :D
Yes I remember reading that bit in the workshop manual, but didn't pay any attention to how to remove the media bits trim cover - as I thought the filter fitting instructions sounded that they covered every thing, I was wrong there.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The recommended (book) way to change the filter, is to use a thin plate slid under the filter before removal to stop any debris on top of the filter from falling into the fan unit.
I didn't completely understand that when I read the workshop manual a week or so ago, so yes, thanks for clarifying that as being the reason for pushing a thin plate of something in under the filter before pulling it out of the slot - maybe even part of the box the filter came in, I'll cut it down to just fit in tightly.

At least the debris, if there is any will not fall into my eyes - which was what happened on the first VW Group car I replaced the pollen filter on.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Now that I think back to reading the workshop manual last week or so, there is also a tip about using the removed filter casing cover to pull the filter element out, using a sort of hook built into the cover.

I'm just including that in case some one searches and finds this thread in the future.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members