How is a Leon Cupra as a family car?

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
Was in a similar position just over a year back (one kid, 2yo) and got a 2019 5F ST Lux. Great car and the size is bang on for a small family. The little one needs an epic amount of stuff, so have filled it to capacity more than a few times. The large flat boot floor is great for nappy changes/roadside emergency potty breaks - not sure if you get the level loading with a hatch?

Continuing with the grim but inevitable side of parenting, the kid loves the car which rides better than most SUVs which she'd throw up in more often than not. But with the rare occasion when she has thrown up in the Leon, the leather seats are handy at the clean up stage (though we put down a towel under the car seat to make everything easier).

As estates go, Leon ST is a bit smaller/narrower, but that’s actually pretty handy getting the kid out in car park spaces and the interior is plenty big for one. Not sure I am brave enough to see how it works with two :)
It works fine for two, the only thing I could dearly do with is a sound proof screen between the front and rear seats....

Fishbowlhead

Mk3 CupraST 280
Nov 20, 2020
Also another point between the Cupra mk3/4 & GolfR to consider, insurance. I was quoted £1700 a year on a golfR estate vs £550 a year on a Cupra 280st.

So there’s that as well to take into account.

skyrocketeer

Asphalt pilot
Feb 1, 2016
Newport S.Wales
I’ve always really liked the 850R but anyone considering buying one would be looking at a car that’ll be around 25 years old.

With a car of that age, I’m not sure I’d want to run one as a daily driver as it’s likely to be more prone to mechanical issues. It’d probably also be difficult to find a good one - I dare say many examples may have a patchy history and there’s a good chance they may have been abused.
meh.
My car (the Leon is technically my wifes) which is my daily is as 26yr old Audi. It's perfectly possible to daily an older car so long as you have some mechanical sympathy and are either handy with the spanners or have a garage who knows your car well.
Cars of that generation are built to a better standards than a lot of modern stuff and area also mechanically simpler and frequently easier to fix. Your only concerns are wear and tear, and corrosion.

Reactions: RUM4MO

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
meh.
My car (the Leon is technically my wifes) which is my daily is as 26yr old Audi. It's perfectly possible to daily an older car so long as you have some mechanical sympathy and are either handy with the spanners or have a garage who knows your car well.
Cars of that generation are built to a better standards than a lot of modern stuff and area also mechanically simpler and frequently easier to fix. Your only concerns are wear and tear, and corrosion.
Agree. So long as you can get one with good history that has been well looked-after by someone who cares. Nowadays cars aren’t built to go the distance, unless they’re Japanese.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.