How much oil for Seat Ibiza

seat53

Hi all,

How much oil from empty would it take to fill Seat Ibiza 1.4se 53 plate.

Just did a quick check on my daughters and had to top it up with 1.5L.

It was below minium mark on dip stick just wondering how much was in it before i topped it up.

Regards

Torquemonster

Nov 20, 2007
:) Handbook says 3.5 ltrs(including oil filter change).Don't know how much the filter holds though.Can't be much.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
4litres with a filter change for certain mate

Eh, I've never refilled with more than 3.5Litres on a BBY engine - I'd reckon that 4.0Litres would take it to above the Max level for sure. I tend to drain the engine when hot after a run and leave it for about two hours before starting to refill it - and I raise the front up on lowish ramps so that all the oil will drain out as the drain point is on the rear of the sump. Then I dump maybe 0.25Litre new oil in the new filter, let it soak into the element for a few minutes while I fit the new (or only used a couple of times) drain plug - before juggling with the new filter trying to fit it quickly before some of the oil runs out - then load in 3.0Litres, start engine check for leaks drop it off ramps and switch-off and leave for 30 mintes before topping up to the mid position on the dipstick.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
4litres with a filter change for certain, if your leaving it for 2 hours brfore your refilling it you must be a perfectionist - which isnt a bad thing its just that when your doing 5-10 services a day you learn capacities quickley and dont have that amount of time to leave it before re-filling.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
4litres with a filter change for certain, if your leaving it for 2 hours brfore your refilling it you must be a perfectionist - which isnt a bad thing its just that when your doing 5-10 services a day you learn capacities quickley and dont have that amount of time to leave it before re-filling.

Yup, only three oil changes a year for me - but all in winter! The Polo has just issued the 1800 miles to service warning. The 1.4 8V AUD engine is listed as needing 3.75Litres (Seat owner's handbook) - or is that 4.25Litres? - either way I've never managed to get that quantity in and stay at or below the Max mark on the dipstick - I've only twice forgotton that fact and had to dump some back out - up my arm!

seat53

The fact i had to put 1.5L in to top it up.

How close were we to causing damage if any.

May have to keep a closer eye on her car then

rergards

Danneh

Probably the reason why people who are geniunly into cars get some pee'd off with Indys/Dealers tbh. No offence to you, I assume your a mechanic.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The fact i had to put 1.5L in to top it up.

How close were we to causing damage if any.

May have to keep a closer eye on her car then

rergards

I don't think that you want to be asking that question, I'd worry as well but you'd only end up listening for strange noises. Lets just say that as the STOP warning had not come on that every thing is still okay - you can't turn the clock back! My wife's Polo "beeped" for low oil level once - but it "only" needed about 1.0 litres - I would have kicked myself - if I could have got round to doing that. Point is, why not check oil weekly and before any long journeys. These BBY engines can use 0.5+ litre between services - and now I know that I check the oil weekly. My 2000MY Passat 2.8 likes a drink every 1,500 miles or sooner if held at high revs for a long time - like on a long journey! When you move across to VAG from somewhere else, its just one of these things that needs your attention. Its the first time that I have had to do this (top up engine oil) after 25 years of nonVAG driving.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Probably the reason why people who are geniunly into cars get some pee'd off with Indys/Dealers tbh. No offence to you, I assume your a mechanic.

Now now, I don't think that us DIY home "mechanics" should be upsetting the professionals who operate on these forums - they only get short fixed times to do the work - its the money grabbing system that is not quite right - just the same really for anyone who actually does practical work for a living (as opposed to those who just wear out a desk). I know you were not pointing the finger directly though and I also get a bit annoyed by some of the rubbish that I have been told at the dealers - mind you that again is probably being told to me by a desk operator.

I have to confess that the last time I was annoyed by the dealer and questioned the MOT guys judgment - well I questioned if they had got the wrong reg number or car - it turned out that I had been caught out by severe front tyre uneven wear - I got a fright and a red face, then a pair of new tyres - very quickly!!

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.