How much torque an bhp can standard 170frtdi clutch take????

steveyg

CANDY WHITE FR!!
Feb 19, 2008
Quick question as im contemplating the dpf-delete but wanting abit of advice on how much power a standard 170frtdi can take. How much torque an bhp can standard 170frtdi clutch take????

steve

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
i think the standard clutch can take a little over 300lb/ft. The DPF delete should be ok, but take this with a pinch of salt. If you worried about clutch slip, change the clutch later when the standard clutch starts to slip. With regards to power the the DPF will get between 225-245 bhp and the stardard clutch should be fine for that. most of the time it's the torque that kills a clutch.

for you information, if u had a big enough turbo, the engine block can handle 300bhp :p

true-blue

i think the standard clutch can take a little over 300lb/ft. The DPF delete should be ok, but take this with a pinch of salt. If you worried about clutch slip, change the clutch later when the standard clutch starts to slip. With regards to power the the DPF will get between 225-245 bhp and the stardard clutch should be fine for that. most of the time it's the torque that kills a clutch.

for you information, if u had a big enough turbo, the engine block can handle 300bhp :p

Does economy suffer as a result of the DPF delete, or is it a case of only when you use the extra go ?

also what's the position re MOT and emmissions testing ??

Cheers.

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
driving sensibly, economy is actually about 10-20% better. the DPF is pretty restrictive, so removing it helps economy a lot.

if done properly the MOT test should be fine, as long as not too much smoke is produced. Diesels only have a smoke test at MOT.

true-blue

driving sensibly, economy is actually about 10-20% better. the DPF is pretty restrictive, so removing it helps economy a lot.

if done properly the MOT test should be fine, as long as not too much smoke is produced. Diesels only have a smoke test at MOT.

Excellent, cheers for that.

Never knew the mot was smoke test only, is that at different points in the rev range or on idle or a specific single rpm ??

Off to find out who can supply the appropriate pipe work (as in exhaust system) and sensor fooling kit!?

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Quick question as im contemplating the dpf-delete but wanting abit of advice on how much power a standard 170frtdi can take. How much torque an bhp can standard 170frtdi clutch take????

steve
I'v had 342lb/ft for the last two years with no problems - providing no standing starts, just rolling starts [ but I do have a soft start torque profile hence the lower o/a bhp

Alnitak

Jun 28, 2009
Oxford
TDi CR

Any word on what the new engine and clutch will be capable of?

Does the facelift CR model even have a DPF?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members