How to know what sound system I have

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Hello,

I have just been wondering how can I tell what version of sound system I have in my car?
Its a 65 plate Leon so I was just wondering if any of you know how to tell the difference.

Thanks

Zac

Glarh

Apr 6, 2016
Hello,

I have just been wondering how can I tell what version of sound system I have in my car?
Its a 65 plate Leon so I was just wondering if any of you know how to tell the difference.

Thanks

Zac
Alright mate. Do you have a little tab/badge on the speakers on the door cards? If you do you've got seat sound. If not you haven't. Another way to check do you have a spare wheel in the boot with a sub wired in (from factory).

Hopefully that helps..

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Alright mate. Do you have a little tab/badge on the speakers on the door cards? If you do you've got seat sound. If not you haven't. Another way to check do you have a spare wheel in the boot with a sub wired in (from factory).

Hopefully that helps..

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

No I havn't got either a badge or a sub, so does this mean its the basic sound system I presume? because its pretty good quality if it is.

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
No I havn't got either a badge or a sub, so does this mean its the basic sound system I presume? because its pretty good quality if it is.

I agree I think the quality is great, I don't have seat sound either but the 8 speakers make such a pure sound and the bass is decent as well not tinny and rattling

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
I agree I think the quality is great, I don't have seat sound either but the 8 speakers make such a pure sound and the bass is decent as well not tinny and rattling

Yeah thats what I'm shocked about the bass is nice without any loss of the other audio within the music.
8 speakers............I counted 9, 1 in each door = 4, 4 tweeters around the area of each door, then 1 speaker up in the middle of the dash......is yours not the same?

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
Yeah thats what I'm shocked about the bass is nice without any loss of the other audio within the music.

8 speakers............I counted 9, 1 in each door = 4, 4 tweeters around the area of each door, then 1 speaker up in the middle of the dash......is yours not the same?

I'm just going off the website which says there are 8 haha I have a SC Titanium but that also says 8

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
I'm just going off the website which says there are 8 haha I have a SC Titanium but that also says 8

Yeah I was just thinking it does state 8 doesn't it, all I can think they don't count 1 of them or something so not too sure what to think haha, anyway I know what sound system I have now thanks to both of you!

Winder123

Aug 10, 2015
North West
The one in the dash I'm afraid isn't a speaker, if you lift up that trim, it's just foam where the seat sound speaker would be and also where the GPS antenna is I think

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Just to add to this the front door speaker's are 8 inch - that's where you're getting the bass from

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
The one in the dash I'm afraid isn't a speaker, if you lift up that trim, it's just foam where the seat sound speaker would be and also where the GPS antenna is I think

Oh ok, I'll have a look later, as if they make it look like a speaker when its not haha

Just to add to this the front door speaker's are 8 inch - that's where you're getting the bass from

Yeah thats what I thought and I'm quite impressed with them!

Winder123

Aug 10, 2015
North West
One poor fella had a nosey and this was his find, I then did it and was greeted by the same sight;

'So I didn't get the Seat Sound System option and I regret it now mostly because I hate looking at the dash speaker cover knowing that nothing is underneath.

As you could have guessed, curiosity got the better of me.

Below is what I was greeted with when I removed the speaker cover:

p042r9d.jpg

I found the partially cut out bit of dashboard quite amusing.

And below the cutout:

gmXi1Xc.jpg

Obviously no speaker but there is a weird chip/board on the left of the speaker hole:

oOImiKH.jpg

Anyone know if that is what you can hook a speaker up to? Or perhaps someone with the seat sound system option can post a picture from under their cover?

Either way, I found this an interesting cover removal :rolleyes:'

Last edited:

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
There is quite a big difference between stock system and Seat Sound.
Colleague has the stock system in his Cupra and as it is ok, but lacks power, clarity and bass.
I am surprised if a sub and center speaker are the only difference, since the sound is so much better with my Seat Sound, you can hear it and you can feel it...i would recommend for sure to get it!

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
Mine is the standard system but I added a Pioneer twin sub in my boot. It's a shallow system so it barely takes up any room and it really adds depth to the music. The door speakers sound better with the sub as the sub takes most of the lower frequency sounds. I really enjoy the standard system, shame the door cards have a never ending rattle

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Thats rather depressing finding that and now knowing like you say, an jesus that is some bad cutting going on I know you dont see it but really haha

That chip looks like something you'd hook the speaker up to and would be interesting to know if a speaker can be retrofitted their, although would 1 speaker make much of a difference?

joaobio

Oct 11, 2016
Portugal
Thats rather depressing finding that and now knowing like you say, an jesus that is some bad cutting going on I know you dont see it but really haha

That chip looks like something you'd hook the speaker up to and would be interesting to know if a speaker can be retrofitted their, although would 1 speaker make much of a difference?

That chip has nothing to do with the speaker. It's the GPS Antenna.
The speakers can be retrofitted, but you have to change settings through VAG-COM to put it working correctly.

Also, the 8 speakers on FR trim are "Canton" unbranded, and they are the same speakers that you have with Seat Sound. The difference is the sub and dash speakers, and a better overall equalization.

womble68

Aug 8, 2009
Bebington, Wirral
That makes sense. I tried a car with seat sound and was surprised that when I then tried the basic setup it wasn't that amazingly different. This now make more sense. Essentially it would just fill out the sound but then if the majority is within the capacity of the mid/bass speakers in the doors for the tweeters further up all I'd good

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Fuse100

Oct 11, 2016
I went for the standard sound system, I have these to put in when it arrives.

Last edited:

joaobio

Oct 11, 2016
Portugal
Yeah, basically it's that. The standard 8 speakers on FR are pretty good by default. In my case I wanted to have a bit more punch so I ordered the Seat Sound System. ;)

Aardvark

Apr 24, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire
We have two FR's mine without the SSS and my son's with the SSS.

I have posted before that for a lot of music there isn't much difference once you tweak the settings but the SSS can still give more weight at lower volumes.

Having listened to both and traveled a lot in both cars....I would usually go with the standard FR system and spend the spare money on something else like 18 inch alloys or put it towards alcantara seats.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.