How to open fuel filler cap?!?!?!

Gordz

Caught The Mod Bug Again!
May 31, 2007
North East
Basically my question is...

How do you open the fuel filler cap?!?!?!?!

My brother has just bought one and can't figure out how to open it, i've suggested doing it the way we do for our mk3s, but by the sounds of it that doesn't seem to work.

Please help!!!!

Oh, and before you all say search, I have done but I couldn't find how to do this simple task!!!

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
You need to hold the cap so that it doesn't spin.....insert the key and just turn the key anti-clockwise. Then you'll be able to undo the cap by turning it anti-clockwise. Do the oposite to close it.

Gordz

May 31, 2007
North East
You need to hold the cap so that it doesn't spin.....insert the key and just turn the key anti-clockwise. Then you'll be able to undo the cap by turning it anti-clockwise. Do the oposite to close it.

Cheers, just been on phone to him and says that it's the flap which he can't get open, how do you do this?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I can only speak for the equivalent Polo, you just press in the cover and it pops out, unless like me you try this once and once only when only having the driver's door unlocked (one press of the remote) - and its does not work as its still locked like the boot and other doors! I got quite annoyed and one of the nice ladies at the petrol station suggested that I lock/unlock the car! and I think I know a lot about cars?!? I'm guessing that you know about how to remove the actual cap below that as you mentioned a MK3 which has the same cap as the MK4 etc. For other peoples info, the fuel cap cover for the MK3 is held shut by a spring so it needs a press at the front(?) to let the back come out far enough to pull open - in both cases as long as the car is fully unlocked - if not no go!

Last edited:

veezee

Power Hungry/Clueless
Jun 10, 2008
London
Unless it's been modded with a lock of some sort, should just pull open..? It's just a sprung hinge.

Gordz

May 31, 2007
North East
He's finally done it, I think he was just being stupid and sounds like it's exactly same as my mk3!!!

Cheers anyway for the quick replies!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Aimez, are you saying "do you know that it locks when you lock the car" or what? Even the MK3 Ibiza's fuel cover locks when the car is locked - well if you have central locking anyway.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
the filler flaps on the mk4 do not lock. the only lock is the one on the cap

Oh bum! So that is progress? Still I suppose a flimsy plastic cover would not stop anyone desperate to nick your fuel, but it hopefully means that they would move on to another car without a locked filler flap.

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
id rather have a locking cap then flap, as the locking flap fuel thives tend to prize open damaging the rear 1/4 aswell as stealing you fuel!

Aimez

Yeh that's what I meant! Thought this was the case. Yeh I am glad it is not a locking flap they are cheap crap! But as I thought Seat do not have the technology to lock the cap with the doors! but form my experience the people that want to nick fuel will break in no matter what. HGVs with anti syphon tanks are even more prone to having their tanks smashed as they know the owner thinks it's safe so will have more fuel in. No one is safe!

tom167

bucksvag.net
Mar 27, 2006
Milton Keynes
HGVs with anti syphon tanks are even more prone to having their tanks smashed as they know the owner thinks it's safe so will have more fuel in. No one is safe!

Anti syphon on the filler caps, but plastic sender units that can be kindly removed with a hammer 2" away lol. Go figure!

LilyChris

My son nor myself can open the cap, and have had to go back to the showroom a few times but will try the instructions for above when I go to the garage later..

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.