How to remove door still panels?

oneofthetwins

Born Slippy
Apr 16, 2009
Banknock
The Black plastic bit across both sides of the car?

I was thinking about getting mine painted the same colour as the car, duno if it would be cheaper but..

i would like to know aswel if you could remove them or if anyone has painted them? if its hard

Cheers
GM

Aimez

the plastic that gets battered and abused every time someone gets in the car, IMO it would get wrecked very quick if you painted it I am always cleaning that bit when cleaning the interior. Some people have tried painting the pillar plastics before and it looked quite crap in their opinion if that helps as it's the same stuff. The trims will just pull out held in by big metal clips.

oneofthetwins

Born Slippy
Apr 16, 2009
Banknock
we talking about the right bit here? a cant post pics to describe it but in your pic under your post, the plastic bit that runs from behind the front wheel to the rear wheel outside the door panel, you talking about that bit?

Cheers
GM

Cal91

1.4 Powerrr
Yes I'm talking about the bit that I have OCD over for cleaning ;)

Bassically I just pull on it? It's just I have tried that and it seemed like it wasn't gonna budge :\ Is there a special technique?

I don't want to break it thats all lol!

I only want it off so I can hide some wiring under the carpet near there.

Thanks in adavance people!

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
ahh right sorry mate, iam talking about the wrong bit, my bad but i would like to know about the bit outside he car..

if your talking about the bump strips - dont rempve them! They are attached through holes in the bodywork and plastic welded through them. they then have a sealent behind them to stom water from coming through the holes. If you try to remove them you will break them and be left with holes in the side of the car!

Aimez

No hes on about the bit I meant in the INTERIOR of the car the bit of plastic trim that you clip every time you step in the car. Also the thing with painting this is it will be like when you start painting the plastics in the engine bay makes the other plastic look crap and you can't do it all! As i say only heard of bad outcome of spraying the interior plastics but up to you maybe get a trial bit to practice on.

oneofthetwins

Born Slippy
Apr 16, 2009
Banknock
if your talking about the bump strips - dont rempve them! They are attached through holes in the bodywork and plastic welded through them. they then have a sealent behind them to stom water from coming through the holes. If you try to remove them you will break them and be left with holes in the side of the car!

ahh alright good answer :rolleyes:

Cheers
GM

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
No hes on about the bit I meant in the INTERIOR of the car the bit of plastic trim that you clip every time you step in the car. Also the thing with painting this is it will be like when you start painting the plastics in the engine bay makes the other plastic look crap and you can't do it all! As i say only heard of bad outcome of spraying the interior plastics but up to you maybe get a trial bit to practice on.

That was for oneofthetwins aimez:cartman: I think there are two threads in one here:p

Yes I'm talking about the bit that I have OCD over for cleaning

Bassically I just pull on it? It's just I have tried that and it seemed like it wasn't gonna budge :\ Is there a special technique?

I don't want to break it thats all lol!

I only want it off so I can hide some wiring under the carpet near there.

Thanks in adavance people!

I might be taking this out tomorow, so I can post some pics if you want?

jtonline

www.jtonline.info
Cal91: As Aimez said the interior trim is held on with metal clips. I was gonna remove them to hide a power wire from the glovebox to the boot but I wasn't strong enough to get them off and didn't want to mark them using a tool, so in the end I just lifted the bottom edge enough to slip the wire behind them, job done :)

Oneofthetwins: The bump strips on the outside of the car are held in place with adhesive foam. There are pegs on the back of the strips that locate in holes in the bodywork but they are just there to align the strips and are not a tight fit or plastic welded and they don't break off. I removed mine, got new ones painted up and put the new ones on. Very easy to remove (fishing line behind the strip will break the adhesive bond) but I used new replacements as they come from the dealer with the adhesive on them ready to peel and stick. If you want to remove the bump strips to have a smooth sided car then you're gonna have to be prepared to weld up the holes in the bodywork. Pics of holes and then coloured matched strips on my website.

Radge-Aha

Jun 11, 2009
Im having troubles trying to remove these. Can anyone help?

Just get under one of the corners and slowly move towards the middle while pulling on it, they are pretty sturdy plastic so it wont break unless you go at it with a hammer and screwdriver lol.

Aimez

Cal91: As Aimez said the interior trim is held on with metal clips. I was gonna remove them to hide a power wire from the glovebox to the boot but I wasn't strong enough to get them off and didn't want to mark them using a tool, so in the end I just lifted the bottom edge enough to slip the wire behind them, job done :)

Same thing I did with mine in the end. I managed to unclip the start of the trim on the passenger side but one of the metal clips flew out never to be found and the other one I try to push in and it keeps falling out behind the plastic so didn't go any further as could see this going wrong!

oneofthetwins

Born Slippy
Apr 16, 2009
Banknock
Oneofthetwins: The bump strips on the outside of the car are held in place with adhesive foam. There are pegs on the back of the strips that locate in holes in the bodywork but they are just there to align the strips and are not a tight fit or plastic welded and they don't break off. I removed mine, got new ones painted up and put the new ones on. Very easy to remove (fishing line behind the strip will break the adhesive bond) but I used new replacements as they come from the dealer with the adhesive on them ready to peel and stick. If you want to remove the bump strips to have a smooth sided car then you're gonna have to be prepared to weld up the holes in the bodywork. Pics of holes and then coloured matched strips on my website.

Cheers for that but could you not just spray it when its on the car? just mask off the bodywork? :think:

sounds a bit easier than buying new ones then spraying them and fitting them again?

Cheers
GM

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol

:shrug:Fair enough. Ive never had mine off, but have seen the back of the pannels where the plastic pokes through, and on mine they have been melted and squashed over the surrounding area - rivit like. I suppose seat could have got bored of this idea (mine is one of the first production ones).

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.