how to remove headlight

silver123

Apr 2, 2007
I want to change headlight but I don't know how.

I searched ELSA database but there are no instructions how to do that.

I found instructions how to remove front bumper and tried to do that first to see if than I could remove headlight, but although I have unscew all four main torx + 4 smaller torx on both side and 6 plastic bolts at the top, bumper just won't come off. It seems that headlights are in the way.

Please help.

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
Also the bumper holds the lights in, search for a guide on bumper removal or look up the guide for fitting a front mount intercooler as that runs through removing the bumper i think

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
depends on year but 2 behind fog light grilles

behind caps on my2003

4 underneath from memory

guides on side are pretty stiff so pull them loose then there is 2 push in parts below the headlamps that can take a shove to get out

807000.png

Last edited:

silver123

Apr 2, 2007
These are all I can find in elsa database. I must say it is a crappy system as there are no search engine like in help files in windows based application. You must manualy find what you want and at which section to look for. I found this under REPAIR MANUAL section. However I was unable to find removing procedure for the headlight.

9yp-Assemb.jpg

mtg-Removi.jpg

But with the Google search I found one site where one of the user made its owm manual. As you must be registered to see the pics I forward his post here (hope I didn't brake any of the rules).

INSTRUCTIONS - HOWT TO REMOVE FRONT LEON'S BUMPER, BY HUNTER
Removing Front Bumper (Leon & Toledo) 99-05
(Not applicable to facelift models)
Okay first things first is preparation this would best be done with two people but you can do it alone (I did) but when it comes to popping the bumper off I'd advise putting a blanket or something on the ground to avoid any scratches.

Keep a Tupperware or bucket nearby also to keep all screws and fixings in.

Step 1

Okay, lets crack on... pop open your bonnet and have a look at the diagram below.
734d1152566781-headlight-replacement-seat-leon-engine1.jpg

If you squeeze the clips at the front (highlighted in orange) and then remove that black plate you will see how the top of the grill is fixed to the bumper and the engine bay.

To detach use a knife or flathead screwdriver and remove the "T" fixings marked in red (there are two parts to each one) when they are removed we'll crack on.

Step 2

Now take a look at the image below.

735d1152566858-headlight-replacement-seat-leon-alloy.jpg

736d1152566869-headlight-replacement-seat-leon-img_2967.jpg

What we do here is separate the arch cover from the front bumper, if you take a look at the red dots that is roughly where the Torx screws are placed, remove all three of them (the top one is a phillips screw) then do the same on the other side.

You may find jacking up the car and removing a wheel can make it easier, I only took one side off.

The yellow mark in this image... behind the bumper at that spot is where the bumper clips onto the chassis... it is a real pain getting that one out but we will leave that till last.

Step 3

Now the fun part begins, basically the bumper is only held on by the front end screws now and the brackets at the side, if you take a look at the image below.

737d1152566939-headlight-replacement-seat-leon-dscn1699.jpg

The first thing we remove in this image is the blanking plates marked in red, they pull off with a little levarage from a knife or flathead screwdriver, when you have removed these you will have to remove the fog light units, these are held on with two Torx screws, when brought forward remove the plug at the rear and move away from the bumper.

After that remove the colour coded blanking plates you see marked in green.

After that its a case of finding where the Torx screws are, I've marked where I think they are in orange dots, you may find more if so remove them.

Step 4

Now we remove the bumper from the car, at this point you should put some padding below the bumper or have a friend at the front ready to catch.

Go to the brackets at the side (marked in yellow further up) and give one side a good tug, there is a slight knack to removing it (if I remember right pull as hard as you can) then repeat at the other side.

Another method you might be interested in here is if you remove a couple more of the arch cover screws and make some more space, you can gain access and remove the full bracket that holds the side parts of the bumper on, it is held with two nuts at each side. Thanks to Craig (csd_19) for that one!

Here is a picture of the bracket - provided by Craig

738d1152566992-headlight-replacement-seat-leon-bracket.jpg

Now the bumper is not fixed onto anything, give it a pull at the front it will come forward. *Beware of the bonnet release catch* - when removing you can tilt a little and it won't get caught.

If it won't come forward check for any other screws that you may have missed.

That’s basically it! If you thought this was hard god help you when you go to refit!

Refitting is reverse of removal. (Well that’s what the Haynes manuals normally say; shame they didn't do one for us.)

So here you can see two different instructions. Also ELSA instructions are not very accurate as there are not just 4 torx srews at ecah side, but there is also one crosshead (Philips) screw at each side. On the other hand if I look the instructions from Hunter I don't have any srews under plastic grille cover (1 at each side and where fog light is) nad I only have one torx under each bumper moulding. As I said I did remove all the srews I could find but I can't move the bummper a bit.
And one thing that must be in the way is headlight as bummper should be pulled straight ahead in a direction of driving, but If you want to do that it is bounded by a blinker part of the headlight.

Last edited:

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Elsa has a search in top right but i will agree it sucks and not worth bothering with half the time

great info though - top job

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
Easiest way to do this is to remove the 4 nuts (2 each side) holding the bumper guides on. Then pull the side of the bumper sideways away from the car so they just clear the headlights and pull it forwards off the car. HTH

silver123

Apr 2, 2007
Elsa has a search in top right but i will agree it sucks and not worth bothering with half the time

great info though - top job

Yes great info but the thing is that I am still unable to remove headlight.
Also the thing with todays car engineering is that it is designed in this way that it is cheap and parts can be compose quickly, but when you are about to repair something I just go mad. For instance when I was removing the plastic moulding only two pins out of 8 were not damaged. I sure need to buy new moulding, because these one will not fit thight when I will put back in.

The reason for all the throuble getting headlight out is that I want to install aftermarket xenon kit, but don't want to drill a hole into headlight plastic cover. Instead I remove xenon light bulb power connector and I found some small holle on the back of the headlight casing that is closed with some white plastic bung. All I need to do is to drill a bigger hole for 4 wires (ballast high voltage output and low voltage input) and seal the hole with silicone. The ballast will be stick on the bottom of the headlight casing using two way duct tape (don't know the correct word, but the special tape you use to stick sothing).

silver123

Apr 2, 2007
Easiest way to do this is to remove the 4 nuts (2 each side) holding the bumper guides on. Then pull the side of the bumper sideways away from the car so they just clear the headlights and pull it forwards off the car. HTH

and how do you access this sideways guides, especialy at the side where battery and air funnel is?

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
remove both front wheels and wheel arch liners :) or remove the screws holding the front section of both arch liners - then full lock one way, reach into behind bumper, remove 2 nuts, then full lock the other way and repeat the procedure. :)

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
The reason for all the throuble getting headlight out is that I want to install aftermarket xenon kit, but don't want to drill a hole into headlight plastic cover. Instead I remove xenon light bulb power connector and I found some small holle on the back of the headlight casing that is closed with some white plastic bung. All I need to do is to drill a bigger hole for 4 wires (ballast high voltage output and low voltage input) and seal the hole with silicone. The ballast will be stick on the bottom of the headlight casing using two way duct tape (don't know the correct word, but the special tape you use to stick sothing).

Why don't you want to drill a hole in the plastic cover and seal it with the grommet thats the correct size for a perfect seal and comes with the kit, but bore out an existing hole and bodge it with silicon?

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
also, when a bulb or ballast blows, you'll have to take your bumper off and re-silicon the holes to sort it!

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
good point - for the minimal costs of a new cover i would fit them straight in as normal

maxiedog

My 2002 LEON ( the mundane type unfortunately ) hit a snowbank and whilst damage is not that great the driver side ( UK cars ) headlight dropped slightly ( 5mm ) probably due to the bumper pulling out of mounting(s). I really do not care about this but the downward movement broke one of the headlight top straps. This simple fault caused the car to fail the French MOT. I need to fix the strap or put in a new headlight. I really appreciate the effort to post the bumper / headlight replacement sequence but the photos essential for understanding do not come up in my browser(s). It would be great if you could tell me how to get the full article or possibly if I could get it via mail. Thanks.

If anyone has an idea to fix the top inner plastic strap on the standard headlight without removing the bumper that would be useful.

maxiedog

Oldman; Thanks for thoughts and I do have a new headlight. Just concerned about the fitting operation as the devil is usually in the detail. Without the photos I am a little reluctant to give it a go.

Leoncuprarfan

Aug 27, 2009
Chesterfield
The part no. For the fixings I posted in the Leon FAQ section some time ago. Can't copy and paste them as I'm on my phone n I don't have a pen on me. It's on the last page of the useful numbers thread. Sorry I can't help more

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.