How to stop rear wheel arch rust??

gregclarks

Trying to Resist ARBs
May 31, 2006
:confused:

OK, my rear quarters have barely made it though the welsh winter, i know they wont survive another season.

How can i stop the rust spreading from inside the wheel arch.

I am going to take out the liner, scrap out as much rust as possible and then apply some of that spray wax stuff to stop any furter spread - will that work? Short of grinding the lip off/replacing the panel... £££ any other things i can do?

Thanks guys.

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
On a previous car I found the following worked quite well:

- Remove as much rust as possible! - sanding to bare (shiny!) metal.
- A treatment of Jenolite (spelling) to "cure" the rust
- Topped off with a coat of Hammerite (or Jenolite) red oxide primer
- Followed by a couple of coats of Smoothrite.
- You could then top this off with a wax based protectant.

Investigate the surrounding paintwork carefully as I've nearly always found the rust to have crept under superficially sound paintwork.

I think the key is DONT take short cuts with the prep and application and whilst not guaranteed for ever it should last a good while!

DC

Last edited:

chappersno1

Mar 11, 2007
:confused:

OK, my rear quarters have barely made it though the welsh winter, i know they wont survive another season.

How can i stop the rust spreading from inside the wheel arch.

I am going to take out the liner, scrap out as much rust as possible and then apply some of that spray wax stuff to stop any furter spread - will that work? Short of grinding the lip off/replacing the panel... £££ any other things i can do?

Thanks guys.

how bad i yours?i bought mine not long ago wiv the rear arches resty under the lip where they have been rolled previoudly,my only option is to get them cut and sanded bk and rear quarters re-sprayed.

on a different note i see you have a b&m short shifter,how much did u pay and where did u get it from if u dont mind me askin.cheers

gregclarks

Trying to Resist ARBs
May 31, 2006
Respraying the rear quarters - i am getting my door sprayed for £60 i cant afford to get half the car done!

I am sure that rust has crept under the rear quarter paint, but i dont want to scrap it off to find out! argh!

B&M, wicked, £75 ebay, easy to fit, get one

Smithy

Old School
Jan 17, 2002
Hertfordshire
I've seen some modded Civics with a rubber strip along the arch where the rust usually occurs, thought this was a good idea as it stops the stone chips which normally starts the rust process.

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
Hmm, the rubber strips are probably just hiding the rust!
TBH I think once rust has got any kind of hold, you are in a battle that you aren't going to win. You've either got to take yearly remedial work, or just admit that the car is wearing out.

Philbert

Yes, I realised when it was too late, thanks! Have asked on Leon forum & got lots of replies saying they don't go rusty....mine has!

F2 Ed

now has VAG com
Nov 5, 2006
www.superlite-wheels.com
283804900_tp.jpg

i use zinc 182 primer :)

charlierickman

hello there.. thank you for the this. i encountered your thread because i am also experiencing similar problems with my rear wheel arch because of the cold weather.. i just want to prevent it from rusting. thanks in advance for the help.

Philbert

You're speaking to the wrong person, mines a Leon, but: If perforation's the problem there is no cure, the whole panel will need to be replaced or a piece cut out. Depending where it is that can be such a bif job it's uneconomic. Youll find plenty of info on this site about this subject....

crossedmike

my car is 11 years old and no rust on the arches :) i have since i have had it sanded it down and primered it then few coats of hammerite then a lick of black paint i also find montly bashing of archliners removes all the damp crud which increased the moistness

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
my car is 11 years old and no rust on the arches :) i have since i have had it sanded it down and primered it then few coats of hammerite then a lick of black paint i also find montly bashing of archliners removes all the damp crud which increased the moistness

My car is 11 years old aswell and I dont have any rust on the arches either. :). Hence why Im thinking of sticking a polo/lupo gti lump in it.

I have a small amount on the lips of the rear arches but nothing under the arch-liners or the usual places that are affected by it.

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
My car is 11 years old aswell and I dont have any rust on the arches either. :). Hence why Im thinking of sticking a polo/lupo gti lump in it.

I have a small amount on the lips of the rear arches but nothing under the arch-liners or the usual places that are affected by it.

I see your 11 years, and raise you 14/15 years with no rust :bleh:

beezertart

**MAYHEM**
Sep 11, 2007
beyond the sun
i'm scared to remove my arch liners :( lips have gone a bit so have had a few coats of hammerite kurust but think i may need to get those liners out n check whats what